Hacking Linux won't work on (my) Playstation 4 Pro Star Wars cuh-7115b

Leeful

GBAtemp Member
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah they need to be FAT32 or exFAT to work on the PS4 (NTFS etc will not work).

A good tip that I did not mention before is to put the USB drive in the PS4 BEFORE you turn it on.
I've had some drives that do not get detected if I plug them in when the PS4 is running.

Disappeaer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Not sure if you caught my edit... The old skool SD card booted Linux RIGHT AWAY...
Yes I've tried connecting the flash drive before I switch on the PS4... I am also reading sometimes the flash drive has to be PRESSED FIRMLY despite the led being ON and since it's a fat retractable capless flash drive I wonder if that's the problem... Still I've pushed it as hard as I could.
I wonder if I could somehow install Linux on the sandisk drive now that I've booted with the SD card (I am still in the rescueshell btw).

Disappeaer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Wooo! I did it! :D
Turns out if you press upwards the PS4 top cover and keep pushing the flash drive inwards, PS4 cover is lifted a tiny bit (hope that's not a problem?) and apparently the flash drive is inserted good enough for the PS4 to recognize it as properly connected! I can't believe I've wasted so much time with files, hashchecks, payloads and formatted my flash drive 1000 times when proper fitting was the issue!
Installing Psxitarch now! :toot:

Reactions: Leeful

Leeful

GBAtemp Member
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Glad you got it working.:):)

So it was as simple as a connection issue all along. LOL
You should now look to buy a very short USB3 extension cable so that you dont have to fiddle around getting the USB stick to fit every time.

Reactions: Disappeaer

Disappeaer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Glad you got it working.:):)
So it was as simple as a connection issue all along. LOL
Yes, there's a good chance OP has the same problem since he got the same flash drive I think.
Thanks a lot for spending your personal time in helping me out, I really appreciate it,

You should now look to buy a very short USB3 extension cable so that you dont have to fiddle around getting the USB stick to fit every time.
But would that work? I mean I tried with a usb hub before but it didn't switch ON at all. But maybe an extension cord is different.
Do you think that drive (usb 3.0, seems like a reasonably fast drive and 32 GB) is ideal for psxitarch? I mean I wanted to buy another flash drive (for watching movies on my tv and general usb drive usage) but first I wanted to sort out that problem in order to be sure about compatibility and decide what to buy and whether I'd keep the old one for psxitarch and a new one for movies and pvr recordings or the other way around.

Some questions on Psxitarch itself:

1. I've had many kernel panics upon trying to boot Psxitarch after I installed it (using X-Project). I made sure to run HEN beforehand. Finally it worked with the VRAM1 payload after waiting at least 7 minutes. I guess the recommended waiting time before loading HEN also applies for the Linux payloads? Any other tips to reduce the kp chance?

2. Should I use any fan payloads before booting to Linux? It's rather hot here and I understand fan doesn't work properly with Linux so you should use that? Is there any danger for the PS4 with doing so? I guess using that prevents PS4 from overheating but since the fan doesn't kick in, in the usual way, maybe the payload pushes the fan to an extreme?

3. I've successfully paired Dual Shock 4 once but the next time it didn't automatically reconnect. Do I have to do it each time?

4. Had a black out, I got a UPS but I switched off my TV in order not to abuse its battery and when I switched it on again, I had lost signal. Control alt del didn't seem to work in order to reboot back to Orbis (Psxitarch had loaded, I was not in the linux rescueshell) so I had no choice but to keep the switch on/off button pressed. Is there any reboot shortcut or even a way to prevent from losing signal on a similar occasion?

Last edited by Disappeaer,

Leeful

GBAtemp Member
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But would that work? I mean I tried with a usb hub before but it didn't switch ON at all. But maybe an extension cord is different.
Do you think that drive (usb 3.0, seems like a reasonably fast drive and 32 GB) is ideal for psxitarch?
Some USB hubs work with the PS4 and some do not. The one you tried might be an incompatable one(or maybe it has the same physical connection issue that your USB stick has).
RE 32GB USB dirve for psxitarch: For performance I would suggest using a SATA3 2.5 hard drive (or even better a SSD drive) in an USB3 enclosure. USB sticks were not designed to run an operating system from. Although they will work fine, you will get better performance from an actual HDD.

Some questions on Psxitarch itself:
1. Kernel panics will happen from time to time unfortunatly. I suggested using my host over X-Project earlier but that was just to reduce the memory errors. If a kernel panic is going to happen it will happen with whatever host you are using. Also try and just run the linux loader without running hen first. I know I said the opposite earlier but some things work differently for some people, Its worth giving it a try.
RE the VRAM1, I would suggest using the 3GBVRAM instead as that will give you 3GB of Video Ram in linux instead of 1GB. (2GB is also fine but 1GB is low)

2. I usually have my fan set at 69 degrees using my fan control payload. I've never had any issues with it being set at that on the PS4 or in Linux. You can try setting it lower but the lower you go the louder the fan is. Every PS4 gets hotter at different rates than others so it's all personal preference in the end.
(remember when using the fan payload, the setting you choose will stay on your PS4 even when you shut it down. the only way to remove it is to physically unplug the console from the mains power.)

3. When you pair your Dualshock in linux it is no longer paired with your PS4 so if you want it to be permanetly paired you will need to get another controller to use just with Linux or pair the same controller ever time.

4. Control alt del does not automatically reboot the PS4 in psxitarch like it does in rescueshell. I dont know of any reboot shortcut keys to reboot blind.

Reactions: Disappeaer

MostlyUnharmful

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
4. Control alt del does not automatically reboot the PS4 in psxitarch like it does in rescueshell. I dont know of any reboot shortcut keys to reboot blind.
If the SysRq key is enabled in the kernel (it should be), you can force disks umount and reboots using keys combination with the "print screen" key: Alt-PrtScr-s to sync discs, Alt-PrtScr-u to umount them and then Alt-PrtScr-b to reboot (the two three that I recall, full aphabet at https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/sysrq.html).

Last edited by MostlyUnharmful,
Reactions: KiiWii and Leeful

Disappeaer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Some USB hubs work with the PS4 and some do not. The one you tried might be an incompatable one(or maybe it has the same physical connection issue that your USB stick has).
RE 32GB USB dirve for psxitarch: For performance I would suggest using a SATA3 2.5 hard drive (or even better a SSD drive) in an USB3 enclosure. USB sticks were not designed to run an operating system from. Although they will work fine, you will get better performance from an actual HDD.

1. Kernel panics will happen from time to time unfortunatly. I suggested using my host over X-Project earlier but that was just to reduce the memory errors. If a kernel panic is going to happen it will happen with whatever host you are using. Also try and just run the linux loader without running hen first. I know I said the opposite earlier but some things work differently for some people, Its worth giving it a try.
RE the VRAM1, I would suggest using the 3GBVRAM instead as that will give you 3GB of Video Ram in linux instead of 1GB. (2GB is also fine but 1GB is low)

2. I usually have my fan set at 69 degrees using my fan control payload. I've never had any issues with it being set at that on the PS4 or in Linux. You can try setting it lower but the lower you go the louder the fan is. Every PS4 gets hotter at different rates than others so it's all personal preference in the end.
(remember when using the fan payload, the setting you choose will stay on your PS4 even when you shut it down. the only way to remove it is to physically unplug the console from the mains power.)

3. When you pair your Dualshock in linux it is no longer paired with your PS4 so if you want it to be permanetly paired you will need to get another controller to use just with Linux or pair the same controller ever time.

Once again, thanks for all your help and contributions to the scene. :)

Reactions: Leeful and KiiWii

Disappeaer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So, rather a new flash drive, I got a new external 1TB hard disk, a Maxtor M3, mainly in order to dedicate it on Psxitarch. It was on sale and since internal + enclosure was more expensive, I went this way. Hope it lasts for a while...
Is it possible to partition it in a way I got half of it for the EXT4 partition and the rest as a NTFS partition for other stuff?
I tried to partition the disk that way before I install Psxitarch and it just went ahead and consumed the 500GB NTFS partition anyway. I tried to divide them later with Disk Genius but after taking ages to check the EXT4 partition for errors then resize it, I got the 500GB I wanted but the EXT4 partition got damaged/corrupted.
So I started from scratch and left half of it as unallocated space this time. Again, it went ahead and took the entire of the disk for the EXT4 partition. Any ideas?
Also, is it possible to boot Psxitarch with my laptop to install stuff and set up the basic settings? I figured it'd be more convenient than doing everything on PS4.

MostlyUnharmful

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Any ideas?
I can't recall if I have ever tried to shrink a bare EXT3/4 partition, I probably have only enlarged them a couple of times, if it's was LVM (logical volume manager) it would be trivial to resize tho, even "on line" IIRC (i.e. with the partition mounted). The first Google hit is a RedHat short guide that should be easy to follow, other than that I would try with Gparted using a live distribution (when in need I use Kali as it's Debian based or IIRC there's a mini one with only Gparted, on the other hand try with Kali first as it's probably more noob friendlier).

Also, is it possible to boot Psxitarch with my laptop to install stuff and set up the basic settings? I figured it'd be more convenient than doing everything on PS4.
I suspect that PSXItarch is tailored for PS4 HW, not a generic AMD64 PC, so you would need enough drivers to boot on your laptop, with Debian I know I can use an "installation disk" with the boot rescue option to do it, with Arch I don't know.

Even without booting it, another way you could do it, from another running distribution, is to mount it and "chroot-ing" to it (after you to mount /dev /proc and /sys, I can explain if you want to try it), it's the way I use when I want to clone my current installation to new HW. It should be enough to install remove packages and modify config files as you'll be on a shell, never tried to launch X on it tho...

Last edited by MostlyUnharmful,

Leeful

GBAtemp Member
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to partition it in a way I got half of it for the EXT4 partition and the rest as a NTFS partition for other stuff?
Install psxitarch as usual then when you are in linux use GParted.
First reduce the size of the main Linux partition then create an NTFS partition in the unallocated space.

MostlyUnharmful

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Install psxitarch as usual then when you are in linux use GParted.
First reduce the size of the main Linux partition then create an NTFS partition in the unallocated space.
I don't know PSXItarch's partitions layout, but you can't resize mounted "Ext" partitions, unless it's using LVM as I wrote above.

Leeful

GBAtemp Member
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know PSXItarch's partitions layout, but you can't resize mounted "Ext" partitions, unless it's using LVM as I wrote above.
Ahh, that makes sense. I remember now, I used linux in a virtual machine on my PC and used gparted to make the changes to the partitions on my PS4-Linux USB drive.
Thanks for clearing that up.:)

Disappeaer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Ahh, that makes sense. I remember now, I used linux in a virtual machine on my PC and used gparted to make the changes to the partitions on my PS4-Linux USB drive.
Thanks for clearing that up.:)

Thanks guys. Yeah, Gparted wouldn't work while on Psxitarch, so I burnt a Gparted live cd and did the job on my laptop. Now a 500gb-ish Psxitarch boots fine, while the new NTFS partition seems to be recognized without problems from my other devices as well. :yay: And it only took 22 mins, whereas it took more than 90 for Disk Genius on Windows to confirm and move partitions, only to damage the partition at the end. Guess messing with EXT4 on Windows isn't the best idea...
That's probably the reason for the lack of EXT4 "file browser" programs as well (in order to copy stuff to install), the only one that seems to work without problems is "Linux File Systems for Windows" by Paragon which isn't free though...

Any ideas why the Dual Shock 4 will occasionally register downward Axis X movement from the left stick without touching anything? Seems like a bug or smth...

Last edited by Disappeaer,

irishgameman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update! I am happy to say Ps4 pro starwars cuh-7115b is now able to load linux!! Happy Holidays. Someone had the same model as mine and was successful in retrieving the proper bz and init drivers. I was told to wait 45 seconds on a payload before sending it. That seems to work.

I will post the files once I find out how on reddit.

MaddMacc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Gus, so just got my hands on a PS4 running 5.05 Firmware, cuh-7115b model.

Same deal here, Leeful, using your exploits, Trying to run Linux . ( Been Using Linux for a " Long " time)

I run Hen ( various Versions ) first , then run the 2Gb ( and others ) for Linux.

My results are always the same, I get the message " Wait for Reboot " so that looks good, I see my Flash drive LED flash like its being accessed. the Ps4 LED constant white, then after about 30s, PS4 looks to just power off.

I have tried a USB 2 - 32Gb flash drive, a USB 3 - 256Gb Flash drive, and an external USB3 enclosure with a 1Tb drive.
Tried both Arch and Gentu flavours.

Always same results , Just seems to power off.

So IrishGameMan, can you share those files that helped you, and gat Linux Running on This Model.

Cheers

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Gus, so just got my hands on a PS4 running 5.05 Firmware, cuh-7115b model.

Same deal here, Leeful, using your exploits, Trying to run Linux . ( Been Using Linux for a " Long " time)

I run Hen ( various Versions ) first , then run the 2Gb ( and others ) for Linux.

My results are always the same, I get the message " Wait for Reboot " so that looks good, I see my Flash drive LED flash like its being accessed. the Ps4 LED constant white, then after about 30s, PS4 looks to just power off.

I have tried a USB 2 - 32Gb flash drive, a USB 3 - 256Gb Flash drive, and an external USB3 enclosure with a 1Tb drive.
Tried both Arch and Gentu flavours.

Always same results , Just seems to power off.

So IrishGameMan, can you share those files that helped you, and gat Linux Running on This Model.

Cheers

IrishGameMan was last seen here around 6 months ago, like KiiWii said it is vary depends on model.

MaddMacc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
IrishGameMan was last seen here around 6 months ago, like KiiWii said it is vary depends on model.

Thanks Hayato213, Just checking to see if anyone managed to figure out getting Linux to work on the cuh-7115b model. As the PS4 is definatley a great machine, I`d like to get Linux running on it,

MaddMacc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Update, Whoo Hoo,
Today is a very good day, I now have ( on separate external drives ) Various versions linux running on my Pro PS4 , which in fact is a 7116B no 7115b,

Its all in finding the correct combination of files that work for your PS4 Model. ( make multiple backups now )
I now run Genbtoo, Fedora 31, Linux Mint and psxitarch V2.

Thanks to everyone for the inspiration.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.