[LINUX USERS] What's your personal favorite DE?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by DillPo313, Aug 23, 2014.

?

What DE do you prefer?

1. KDE

30.0%
  2. Unity

13.3%
  3. LXDE

10.0%
  4. LXQT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gnome

3.3%
  6. Mate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Cinnamon

10.0%
  8. Enlightment

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. XFCE

30.0%
  10. Fluxbox

3.3%
  11. Lightbox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DillPo313
    OP

DillPo313 Banned

Banned
    Jul 6, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    What's your favorite desktop enviroment? Why do you like it? What makes it better then others? My personal favorite is KDE. It's so professional and nice looking. I like the windows-esque live previews. The slight transparency is a nice touch too.

[​IMG]

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I try to keep on top of most of them. However even on crazy powerful machines I usually go with "the lighter, the better, up until you start compromising on the ability to do things like search, basic tasks and folder/file manipulation with context menus or general menus", mind you this does usually mean I stick with XFCE unless the distro comes with one of the other lightweight ones. As most things these days would seem to go through the browser or have their own defined UIs the general DE (to say nothing of when the base of a DE is used and then everything else is stripped out and replaced -- other than Amarok and Kdenlive (both of which are very nice) I do not think I have ever really used KDE software despite actually using KDE at several points).

DillPo313 likes this.
  3. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    XFCE.
    Lightweight as hell, and does the job perfectly.

[Insert pretty XFCE picture here, that looks like a desktop from one decade ago but perhaps more colorful]

Haloman800, TyBlood13 and DillPo313 like this.
  4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I personally prefer KDE, pretty much for the same reasons in the OP.

Using Linux Mint with KDE on my laptop, runs a hell of a lot smoother than Cinnamon or Gnome ever did.

DillPo313 likes this.
  5. DillPo313
    OP

DillPo313 Banned

Banned
    Jul 6, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    I use Chrubuntu-KDE. It's a Kubuntu distro for Chromebooks. :lol: Luckly mainline kernel support is coming 3.17!

6. jacobas92

jacobas92 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    Virginia
    Openbox with tint2 and Compton for compositing. Lightweight, functional, and looks good.

DillPo313 likes this.
  7. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    I used to enjoy Gnome (2.0) back in the day. Gnome 3 trying to be a touch-screen interface ruined it for me. XFCE is really similar to what I liked about Gnome, and it's less intensive. I do customize my desktop to look a lot like the old Gnome 2 days, though.

mercluke likes this.
  8. DillPo313
    OP

DillPo313 Banned

Banned
    Jul 6, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    You sound like the ideal audience for MATE.

mercluke, jacobas92 and grossaffe like this.
  9. jurassicplayer

jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    Pantsuland
    Missing a couple of DEs and some of those aren't even DEs.

Pantheon, Deepin, EDE, Sugar, Hawaii, ROX, Trinity (aka KDE 3.5), GNUstep...
    Some of them probably next to nobody uses, but some of them look very neat (I have always liked how Deepin and Hawaii looked, but Pantheon DE is also nice) and have a fair amount of users.

If I had to pick a DE specifically, I would probably go XFCE, but LXQT looks really interesting and there are some things about the QT framework that I like. I'm really waiting on LXQT to see what applications they are going to pick up because sometimes I'm really tempted to try for that mythical lightweight QT desktop. Most of my applications that I currently use are GTK though. My preference towards XFCE is pretty much: not heavy like kde/gnome, looks really decent without too many wtf moments, cycling wallpapers, and feels about right.

I didn't really like how gnome went at all, and I've tried kde a couple of times. KDE is just kind of strange. I would get it and be like "ALRIGHT, time to try full KDE" and then customize it to mostly how I wanted stuff...but sometimes I had to make compromises for the strangest things. Like how I can't manually change the size of the clock to show all the numbers when the panel is slim or how some of the widgets that I dragged around went offscreen or something and I could never get them back. They were running...just not where I could see them. Pretty much, I felt that KDE looked pretty nice, but I wasn't utilizing any of the features specific to KDE despite having it use more resources. Some of them I don't even like (Activities). Funnily enough, I have a post on my blog about my KDE experience...

I tried to use Enlightenment18 rather recently...but for some reason the LiveCD that I tried (forgot if it was Elive or Bodhi) just seemed to have issues with Chromium...or maybe it was flash. Configuring everything was also kind of wonky since everything seemed to spawn a new config window with a bunch of tabs to flick through...and the menu didn't look customizable. It doesn't look bad, but I can't really say it looks amazing either since you still need to have GTK/QT on top of Enlightenment, all three of which look fairly different from one another.

Mainly I hover around Openbox or Awesome and don't bother with a DE. Compton deals with my compositor wants well enough, although I wouldn't mind having some better transitions that compiz or kwin have...not that I want to use either of them. Compiz is apparently not maintained all that well...and standalone kwin is a strange setup that apparently IS possible...Not that I want to do it.

10. DillPo313
    OP

DillPo313 Banned

Banned
    Jul 6, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    I know some of them aren't really DEs but they do the same basic tasks so I lumped them together. I didn't add the ones that hardly anyone uses. (I just simply forgot deepin. I love that one too.) I agree with you about LXQT, it's lightweight and manages to look like nice like KDE. Unfortunately, (even though I love love KDE) every other DE is unstable and crashes frequently. To the point where I don't even want to try them anymore. I have to wait for kernel 3.17.

11. natkoden

natkoden Not a New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    Gnome 3

I also like Cinnamon.

12. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I used Fluxbox + tint2 for a while. Looks good and gets the job done - the only problem was that most programs looked kind of ugly.
    Also I kind of like Unity, don't kill me

I could never properly run KDE because my linux PC was a piece of shit and I really didn't like the look of XFCE for whatever reason, so eh.

13. DillPo313
    OP

DillPo313 Banned

Banned
    Jul 6, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    Lol, I legit missed that the first time I read it. I like Unity too. I can't use it until kernel 3.17 because my hardware isn't fully supported in Linux yet and I random lock ups and freezes right now. Don't worry, this isn't OMG Ubuntu.

14. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I use Mate for the pure reason it's that it was built to resemble gnome 2.0, ok there are a few differences but for the most part it's good for me. I haven't tried out the newer kde versions though, I just like what I know

DillPo313 likes this.
  15. lampdemon

lampdemon GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2013
    Canada
    Where the land sea lions live.
    Kde 3.5 was good, 4+ not so much(I didn't like that I couldn't customize certain things), and gnome was a good replacement for kde until I found out about Xfce.

16. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    XFCE for simplicity's sake for me

17. Pagio94

Pagio94 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    Italy
    Genova
    Cinnamon. It has a weird bug where some edge of the windows would not show or be black and you can see the desktop background, but it's a lot smooth. I'll try other DE soon

DillPo313 likes this.
  18. DillPo313
    OP

DillPo313 Banned

Banned
    Jul 6, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania

I actually got started in Linux with Mint back in '06. My first distro. :lol:

19. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I personally mess around with LXDE, but I often have my fingers in XFCE4 and MATE, some times both at the the same time. I've even been caught with Unity in my bed.

20. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Regular

Jul 26, 2006
    IceWM (+ Rox). Beyond being lightweight, what I most like about it is that it seems to have the most consistency when it comes to when/where it reacts to mouse/key presses--it's really hard to exactly spell out what that means, but it has a lot to do with hotkeys almost always working, focus stealing very uncommon (at the expense of newly created windows not getting focus (and yes, this is a preference thing so you can have newly created windows obtain focus)), menu pop ups only after you release the mouse/key, etc. That isn't to say IceWM is perfect as it seems to have issues with some programs managing to steal focus (gimp and chromium come to mind), hotkeys don't always work properly in fullscreen (you have to switch virtual consoles to get redraw working properly again), and one almost maximized window hovering over a maximized window can result in you accidentally closing the bottom window. But with all those complaints, I haven't found anything better. :/ *shrug*