Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
laminaatplaat said:
on my gaming pc I use windows XP on my MSI Wind I tried windows xp, vista, ubuntu, xubuntu opensuse but atm I am back at just winXP.
Try something less bloated if you want to use Linux.

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
Go Mac! But I'm really impressed with Ubuntu and especially the Ubuntu Netbook Remix. I prefer the official canonical version over the one see on the Dell Mini 9... but they are both very nice. Linux is perfect for anyone just doing every day basic websurfing, email & chat.

laminaatplaat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mazor said:
laminaatplaat said:
on my gaming pc I use windows XP on my MSI Wind I tried windows xp, vista, ubuntu, xubuntu opensuse but atm I am back at just winXP.
Try something less bloated if you want to use Linux.

I know that would be better but I have no time nor the will to get to know the command line that well and build my own environment. I like that ubuntu is a bit windowish because the culture shock would be to big for me if i need to learn all those commands and need hours to get a simple mp3 file and movie to play because the codecs aren't open source (just an example).

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
laminaatplaat said:
...i need to learn all those commands and need hours to get a simple mp3 file and movie to play because the codecs aren't open source (just an example).

If you haven't used a modern Linux distro, stay out of the debate.

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
arctic_flame said:
laminaatplaat said:
...i need to learn all those commands and need hours to get a simple mp3 file and movie to play because the codecs aren't open source (just an example).

If you haven't used a modern Linux distro, stay out of the debate.

Agreed, that's just not the case anymore, and hasn't been for years.

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
None, Mac OS X is my favorite OS. You can build a Hackintosh if you don't wanna buy a Mac, and it runs pretty well.

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yea I just installed ubuntu, looks awesome compared to 7.4 which i installed for fun on this really old computer.

I had it set up no problem, I'll attempt to install Wine Later
smile.gif

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
arctic_flame said:
juggernaut911 said:
arctic_flame said:
Most people in here will have only ever used windows, and have no reason to be in this debate.

Also, a lot of "linux" users will have only used ubuntu, and therefore can't really have a non-biased opinion.

So, this debate is doomed. Doomed!

well then which linux would you use?

I use Linux Mint.
Looks awesome! Just a small question:
http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=280 They just released Linux Mint 5 XFCE. They will be releasing some sort of KDE and Gnome version soon. Which is better and what are the differences? Thanks.

laminaatplaat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've used one of the last versions of Ubuntu and I was still fucking around with a lot of different mediaplayers to get a stupid file to work that worked on winXP... What version --> fluppeerder flosspssiewhopper or whatever crazy code name they came up with that time....

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jiggah said:
That's why I think people are recommending Linux Mint, which is based on Ubuntu, but with all the media compatibility enabled.
No. The reason Linux Mint is a better choice is that it's faster and less fat than Ubuntu. Also, media compatibility isn't a problem on Ubuntu and Linux Mint is no different.

paul1991

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer debian.
I have no use for closed source software. I will take a buggy open-source of a stable closed source.
I have vista ultimate on my PC(my dad works for the local university, got a copy for 20.00USD!), but I only keep it on there for my parents. I also have a version of Windows 7 and Windows Longhorn, but I only have those to show off.

Asitaka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got to say, I'd love to use ubuntu or gentoo or any linux flavor, but, I've never gotten the damned things to work outside of virtualbox. On another note, I'm kind of stuck with xp because I need xp_ja to use many programs. Too many products don't allow you to install on non xp-32ja oses and don't offer support.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
I recommend trying the two or three flavors of Ubuntu Linux in virtualbox/vmware/parallels. Only the former is free, but I'm sure none of you have ever pirated something for evaluation. VMWare workstation is actually worth buying a license for.

Ubuntu uses gnome, which looks similar to OSX at first but has functionality reminiscent of Windows.
Kubuntu uses KDE, which looks similar to Windows at first but has functionality reminiscent of OSX.
Xubuntu (xfce?) is kind of bare at first and runs much nicer on older machines.
All are customizable as shit. Compiz gives either OS amazing eye candy. I love me some wobbly windows and desktop cube/pentagon.

I am only recommending the *buntus because they are seriously linux newb friendly, same with the blasphemous over-simplifications of gnome and kde. Might as well go for that Linux mint, it'll save you a few clicks and one line of text to install codecs and a good player. Serious linux users should look into fedora or just debian. There are so many distros to try it's silly.

I would hold off till the next major Ubuntu release in like 5 months if you're considering a real switch to Ubuntu Linux, especially if you're a laptop user.

Wine is good, you can install Windows's Photoshop from a disc right onto linux and run it.

I personally use both Windows XP and Kubuntu , I'm very fond of both of them but I have a good opinion of OSX too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/xeWd4a5RYJ8?si=URwg3PNBQa5zPuXt that birthday cake look jumpin