Gaming Linkle the female Link

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Pretty sure that Mega Man games have something very important in common in their each respective sub-series... they're numbered. Clearly they were intended to be sorted in a chronological fashion from the start, so your point is null and void.
How about "seeing that each and every of those games is a self-contained whole from start to finish"? How is Ocarina of Time "intended as a prequel" in any shape or form if Link in LttP clearly has no combat experience?
Not the same Link. This was mentioned even back in the day. I used to read magazines about the game and people were hyped about how it was gonna be a tale of how Ganon came to be.

The idea of Multiple Links was made a thing before. It was said ALttP starred "the predecessors of Link and Zelda." So clearly, not the same characters from Zelda 1 and 2. As in, ALttP being a prequel to those games. OoT was then made as a prequel to everything (until then)

And is the Master Sword made of Dragon Balls? Because it clearly disperses each time it's used, or at the very least, Link is very prone to lose timeless artifacts of immense power.
Link returns it to the pedestal of time in Ocarina of Time... Don't you remember? Hundreds of years later, the Temple of Time became the Lost Woods you see in ALttP and Twilight Princess - it's the same pedestal too. Heck, Twilight Princess has a temple of time dungeon in there (with the same music as OoT).

And to clarify it up, again, Twilight Princess' Link is a direct descendant of Ocarina of Time's Link. ALttP's Link isn't, but he's part of the blood-line of the Hylian Knights (All Links are).

Reactions: EMP Knightmare

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget, she was intended to be an entirely new character and not Link's gender-swapped counterpart.

With that in mind and the fact that there is next to no romantic plots in the Zelda series (though the end of Spirit Tracks when Link and Zelda hold hands always felt like an outlier in that regard), maybe Nintendo should consider allowing the player to choose if they're a girl or a boy in future Zelda titles. As a male, I don't really care, but if there is anyone out there who'd prefer to play as a female, it'd be a nice option.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not the same Link. This was mentioned even back in the day. I used to read magazines about the game and people were hyped about how it was gonna be a tale of how Ganon came to be.

The idea of Multiple Links was made a thing before. It was said ALttP starred "the predecessors of Link and Zelda." So clearly, not the same characters from Zelda 1 and 2. As in, ALttP being a prequel to those games. OoT was then made as a prequel to everything (until then)

Link returns it to the pedestal of time in Ocarina of Time... Don't you remember? Hundreds of years later, the Temple of Time became the Lost Woods you see in ALttP and Twilight Princess - it's the same pedestal too. Heck, Twilight Princess has a temple of time dungeon in there (with the same music as OoT).
Like I said earlier - petty excuses to string completely unrelated characters together in an effort to create a narrative wheras for all intents and purposes one Link has nothing to do with another, that's the point I've been driving at since we started this discussion. ;)

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said earlier - petty excuses to string completely unrelated characters together in an effort to create a narrative wheras for all intents and purposes one Link has nothing to do with another, that's the point I've been driving at since we started this discussion. ;)

What I love about the Zelda series is that it clearly embraces the multiverse due to how the timeline splits. Because of the fact that the multiverse is clearly the model of the universe the series utilizes, its very easy to write off inconsistencies and slight differences between the games.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What I love about the Zelda series is that it clearly embraces the multiverse due to how the timeline splits. Because of the fact that the multiverse is clearly the model of the universe the series utilizes, its very easy to write off inconsistencies and slight differences between the games.
Or, you know, we could just accept the fact that there really is no timeline and each game is unique in its own right, a lot like Mario games which also have little in terms of continuity and could be re-arranged in any random order and still make sense. Then again, most Mario games have a clear numbering system, so we don't encounter that problem (as do the previously mentioned Mega Man games).

To be fair though, video game continuity has always been spotty - take Final Fantasy for instance. The games are numbered, but each "number" is a sub-series, really - the games have nothing to do with one another whatsoever. :P

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Or, you know, we could just accept the fact that there really is no timeline and each game is unique in its own right, a lot like Mario games which also have little in terms of continuity and could be re-arranged in any random order and still make sense. Then again, most Mario games have a clear numbering system, so we don't encounter that problem (as do the previously mentioned Mega Man games).

Except when it's made official and it's been a thing since forever...

BUT that's the good thing about the Zelda timeline. It's there, it connects the game in a way that makes sense, but if you don't care about it and you don't want to pay attention to it you don't need to - the games are still pretty individual and self-contained. I like that. There's no "order of playing needed to get the plot". It's put in a way that the more hardcore fans will notice every reference or background tidbit but newcomers will still feel at home. You don't need to play every game that came before to get the plot in a future game (looking at you Kingdom Hearts).

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or, you know, we could just accept the fact that there really is no timeline and each game is unique in its own right, a lot like Mario games which also have little in terms of continuity and could be re-arranged in any random order and still make sense.

You could I guess. But why bother? Where is the fun in that? Plus as I said, the fact that the multiverse is embraced makes it very easy to see continuity as well as acknowledge problems with lack of continuity. You can disregard that all if you want, but I'd much rather not. Its far more fun thinking about how the timelines work, and what must have occurred for one game to follow another game and how is this part of the multiverse different than the game that preceded it. If you don't see how that's fun, well OK, but I love this kind of stuff personally.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Except when it's made official and it's been a thing since forever...
It hasn't - it was made up what, last year?

BUT that's the good thing about the Zelda timeline. It's there, it connects the game in a way that makes sense, but if you don't care about it and you don't want to pay attention to it you don't need to - the games are still pretty individual and self-contained. I like that. There's no "order of playing needed to get the plot". It's put in a way that the more hardcore fans will notice every reference or background tidbit but newcomers will still feel at home. You don't need to play every game that came before to get the plot in a future game (looking at you Kingdom Hearts).
If magic, pixie dust, time travel and separate timelines make sense then sure, I suppose. I think it's a little forced.

You could I guess. But why bother? Where is the fun in that? Plus as I said, the fact that the multiverse is embraced makes it very easy to see continuity as well as acknowledge problems with lack of continuity. You can disregard that all if you want, but I'd much rather not. Its far more fun thinking about how the timelines work, and what must have occurred for one game to follow another game and how is this part of the multiverse different than the game that preceded it. If you don't see how that's fun, well OK, but I love this kind of stuff personally.
I suppose you're right - although lazy, a "multiverse" does give creators a lot of liberty and wiggle room. I just don't see the need for looking for continuity where there clearly is no continuity, merely common themes. :P

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thanks for ignoring everything I was saying.
Not ignoring - merely disagreeing. Some games are connected to each other by design, which is why they have certain common elements - others, like Four Swords, Wind Waker, Link's Crossbow Training or Spirit Tracks are complete off-shots and would be considered spin-offs in any other franchise rather than being hamfisted into the main continuity.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If magic, pixie dust, time travel and separate timelines make sense then sure, I suppose. I think it's a little bit forced.
I suppose you're right - although lazy, a "multiverse" does give creators a lot of liberty and wiggle room. I just don't see the need for looking for continuity where there clearly is no continuity, merely common themes. :P

Now sure a lot of the games are very loosely tied together overall, but a lot of games are very clearly meant to come after another. Both Majora's Mask and Wind Waker very clearly follow after Ocarina of Time in different Timelines. And then Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks very clearly follow Wind Waker. There are a few more examples, where the continuity is very clear, but then yes there are games like the original two where you could throw them anywhere in the timeline and just assert they belong there. Not denying that at all. But as I said, I like to think of things in terms of the multiverse. Sure its absolutely convenient to dispelling inconsistencies and whatnot, BUT the mulitverse isn't just a part of the series for convenience sake, the ending of Ocarina of Time forces the series to exist in space where what happens to the hero affects what happens to the overall world. In fact you can look to the earliest Zelda games (Zelda II specifically) and see the multiverse being embraced. When you die in Zelda II, you get the game over screen which reads: Game Over Return of Ganon. You see, for every reality where Link dies in that game, Ganon is resurrected, only when Link beats shadow Link and therefor the game, do you know that Ganon stays defeated. In fact I'd love to see a game that takes place sometime after Zelda II in a universe where that hero died and therefore Ganon is resurrected.

EMP Knightmare

Fixing GBATemp's Feng Shui Engine (using Win XP)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe it's been official since Nintendo said so in that big announcement about the book.

I enjoy watching everyone defend their own views on Zelda, it's not like anyone is really ever going to be wrong because of how many ways you can look at the series. We all played them for our own reasons leave it at that and remember that there's a female Link in the OP ^_^

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You're disagreeing with what? Facts that have been made official as far as 1991? I'm not making anything up here.
"Facts" which only connect a handful of the games. Re-read. ;)
Now sure a lot of the games are very loosely tied together overall, but a lot of games are very clearly meant to come after another. Both Majora's Mask and Wind Waker very clearly follow after Ocarina of Time in different Timelines. And then Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks very clearly follow Wind Waker. There are a few more examples, where the continuity is very clear, but then yes there are games like the original two where you could throw them anywhere in the timeline and just assert they belong there. Not denying that at all. But as I said, I like to think of things in terms of the multiverse. Sure its absolutely convenient to dispelling inconsistencies and whatnot, BUT the mulitverse isn't just a part of the series for convenience sake, the ending of Ocarina of Time forces the series to exist in space where what happens to the hero affects what happens to the overall world. In fact you can look to the earliest Zelda games (Zelda II specifically) and see the multiverse being embraced. When you die in Zelda II, you get the game over screen which reads: Game Over Return of Ganon. You see, for every reality where Link dies in that game, Ganon is resurrected, only when Link beats shadow Link and therefor the game, do you know that Ganon stays defeated. In fact I'd love to see a game that takes place sometime after Zelda II in a universe where that hero died and therefore Ganon is resurrected.
I like how Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass are put in the same bucket with Wind Waker solely because they share an art style.

Again, some of you guys don't "get" what I'm trying to say. When making LoZ 1, nobody was thinking about the plot of LoZ 2. Conversely, when LoZ 2 was made, nobody was thinking about Ocarina. Subsequent games were not made from a pre-prepared mold, they were merely structured in such a way so as to reference previous ones. The whole idea of the multiverse, timelines and all such shenanigans came much later and tied everything together because fans demanded it to be tied. There is no "multiverse" in LoZ 2 - there is only a "Game Over" screen that you're overinterpreting.

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
"Facts" which only connect a handful of the games. Re-read. ;).
http://zeldawiki.org/History_of_the_Zelda_Timeline/Timeline_Quotes

Only a few games were always truly left loose until the release of the book. Those being the GameBoy games.

The whole idea of the multiverse, timelines and all such shenanigans came much later and tied everything together because fans demanded it to be tied.

They were tieing the games as they were being made and fitting them as such. They didn't do anything because the fans demanded.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
http://zeldawiki.org/History_of_the_Zelda_Timeline/Timeline_Quotes

Only a few games were always truly left loose until the release of the book. Those being the GameBoy games.

They were tieing the games as they were being made and fitting them as such. They didn't do anything because the fans demanded.
Uh-huh. Okay. Sorry, but my reasonable self cannot treat tinfoil conspiracy theories and loose quotes badgered out of game creators as conclusive evidence - the actual games show little relation to one another unless they're direct sequels/prequels by nature. ;)

We're getting terribly off-topic here, my original point was that a Femlink would be just as appropriate as a Femshep because ultimately the gender of the protagonist never made or broke the plot in the games. Link could be anyone, really (because most of the stories are, as I said, self-contained and we've established that there are multiple "Links").

Seems that everyone is missing Foxi4's point completely -_-
Happens more often than you can imagine. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm here.