Linkle the female Link

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by WatchGintama, Aug 28, 2014.

1. WatchGintama
    OP

WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    [​IMG]

Koei Tecmo “Linkle (tentative name) was a rejected story character featured in the art book, but it looks like she got a quite lot of attention… maybe we should have included her in the main story…"

:arrow:Source

dat zettai ryouiki

2. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp Official Lolicon Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    inb4 "is dat Zelduh?"

3. Wellington2k

Wellington2k DO YOU HAS?

Nov 1, 2010
    United States
    Somewhere in this world of ours
    Don't forget, she was intended to be an entirely new character and not Link's gender-swapped counterpart.

4. WatchGintama
    OP

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    It's Link's little sister. Imouto.

Nintendo knows what I want.

5. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp Official Lolicon Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    but Link already hs an imouto:

Aryll.jpg

Lycanroc likes this.
  6. WatchGintama
    OP

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    Maybe it's her grown up? Or a different time?

7. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Linkle, Linkle, twiddle start,
    How fans wonder where thou art.

8. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    :)

WatchGintama and Dartz150 like this.
  9. Sizednochi

Sizednochi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 16, 2012
    Brazil
    Almost all Zelda games feature different incarnations of Link. They're multiple characters. Only the direct sequels feature the same Link (Majora's Mask has the same Link as Ocarina of Time for example)

EMP Knightmare likes this.
  10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I think it's pretty fair to say that Nintendo's (or anyone else's) timeline of the LoZ series is bollocks and the games have little to do with each other unless they're direct sequels. I don't see a reason why those games couldn't feature a choice between a male and a female protagonist because ultimately it wouldn't even matter story-wise - much like Mario, Link will never actually get laid, no matter how many fanfics the fans write about that.

11. Sizednochi

Dec 16, 2012
    Brazil
    How come when it's official?

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It's very simple, really. The game developers made games that were fun, but their fans are needy nerds who always look for continuity of some sort, so they've wrapped up a convoluted timeline "because time travel" to please them.

I guarantee that no series that has started as early as in the 80'ies has a pre-set timeline - they merely added content to the games as time went by. I can assure you that nobody was thinking 20+ years ahead when they were making the first LoZ game.

Essentially they've connected all the direct sequels together into timelines and inserted bullshit between them when needs be.

EMP Knightmare and Gahars like this.
  13. Sizednochi

Dec 16, 2012
    Brazil
    Miyamoto made Ocarina of Time and intended it to be a prequel, origin story of sorts. Nobody ever thought anything about time travel or split-timelines until he said so. He said that Ocarina of Time actually had two endings and Wind Waker took place in one of them. Heck, there are references to Ocarina of Time in A Link to The Past (actually obviously they took the material and made Ocarina based on that, but it's still pretty clever).

The timeline is fine I think - it connects all the games but they still are pretty individual. Nobody needs to play anything in order.

14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Obviously they've strung things together - what I said was that they had no intention to create a timeline of any kind when they begun making the games and they merely created one because it was requested by the fans. I think that almost each and every LoZ game can be picked up and played without playing other LoZ games before because they are self-contained wholes by design. Rarely do you require context for what's happening, which is a strong characteristic of what I call "coherent stories".

Take Mass Effect for instance. If you pick up Mass Effect 3 without playing Mass Effect 1 or 2 before, you will have fun playing the game, but some of the events and facts will be completely alien (no pun intended) to you because the game expects you to be familiar with the story - the timeline of events that occured prior to the plot of Mass Effect 3. This does not happen in LoZ games because they're self-contained wholes - individual stories from beginning to end, with a few exceptions.

Gahars and EMP Knightmare like this.
  15. EMP Knightmare

EMP Knightmare Fixing GBATemp's Feng Shui Engine (using Win XP)

May 3, 2010
    United States
    New York
    Yeah I never did understand why Nintendo tried to make a timeline for LoZ, it didn't need one but it made a great book ^_^ Besides most 80's games that made it till now have bullshyt storylines/timelines now because of this same common mistake . . . . . . . I'm looking at you Castlevania! (fucking shyt reboots)

16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Pretty much. You can only expect so much in terms of continuity when no continuity was planned from the start, really. It's not a situation like with, say, Star Wars, where you have a clear pre-set continuity and supplementary material grows around it - here you have a bucket of randomly-shaped pieces that you have to put together into an image, except you don't know what that image is yet.

17. EMP Knightmare

EMP Knightmare Fixing GBATemp's Feng Shui Engine (using Win XP)

May 3, 2010
    United States
    New York
    Not for nothing but if you save the princess and all of Hyrule every time (almost) there leaves little for storyline/timeline except "Well hey Link you need to beat this pig's ass again, . . . . can ya do it?"

18. VartioArtel

VartioArtel Member

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2012
    United States
    Two Words:

Mega
    Man.

19. Sizednochi

Dec 16, 2012
    Brazil
    Sure then, let's see.

The first game was made, it was a hit, and they decided to create a direct sequel.
    Then they made ALttP to be a prequel to those two games (it even says so in the back of the game's box)
    Then they decided to make Ocarina of Time be a prequel to everything and an origin story. They made Majora's Mask as a sequel to Ocarina.
    When Wind Waker came around and Miyamoto made that quote about it being in a different timeline, that was the birth of "Zelda Theorizing" by the fans. Because until then it was a straight line kinda of thing and nobody argued over it. Heck, Miyamoto and Aonuma said they had a master document containing the timeline by the time Twilight Princess was released. Fans obviously were speculating.

I don't see how the fans affected these decisions.

20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Pretty sure that Mega Man games have something very important in common in their each respective sub-series... they're numbered. Clearly they were intended to be sorted in a chronological fashion from the start, so your point is null and void.
    How about "seeing that each and every of those games is a self-contained whole from start to finish"? How is Ocarina of Time "intended as a prequel" in any shape or form if Link in LttP clearly has no combat experience? And is the Master Sword made of Dragon Balls? Because it clearly disperses each time it's used, or at the very least, Link is very prone to lose timeless artifacts of immense power.

Again, the timeline was created to appease the fans. Games in the series that are not direct sequels are simply spin-offs of the same formula. Almost every game has its own unique Link who has no recollection of any previous events whatsoever - the "because time travel" excuse is an old and tired one and "because multiverse" is better, but still unnecessary.