Homebrew Libreto/Retroarch and NeoGeo

DCXPIG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all- I've been looking thru threads but haven't found an answer. I have a N3ds with Retroarch/Libreto nightly build installed that plays a majority of my Neo Geo roms with no problem however several I have don't work. The same rom does work on my pc/emulator, does anyone know or suggest how to tell what rom is compatible? Most recently I tried NeoMr Do, which simply fails. Any help or hints are appreciated, I also see a few errors on the bottom screen when loading roms that do work so it may simply be my bios zip as I tripped through getting this to work to begin with and am novice.. Thanks

DCXPIG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tested on identical retroarch cores or were you using different emulators?
I used a different emulator altogether, I was able to get the same rom working after converting for use on NeoDS with a card in the 3DS but I'm wanting to run it without the card.. I've got several roms that won't load but many have no issues at all. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

DominoBright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Metal Slug 3 is one of the games that won't run, you'll have to create a playlist and load it from that. It will work then.

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all- I've been looking thru threads but haven't found an answer. I have a N3ds with Retroarch/Libreto nightly build installed that plays a majority of my Neo Geo roms with no problem however several I have don't work. The same rom does work on my pc/emulator, does anyone know or suggest how to tell what rom is compatible? Most recently I tried NeoMr Do, which simply fails. Any help or hints are appreciated, I also see a few errors on the bottom screen when loading roms that do work so it may simply be my bios zip as I tripped through getting this to work to begin with and am novice.. Thanks

Various Neo Geo emulators may require specific neogeo.zip bios archive files to be placed in the same folder as the roms. FBA, MAME 2000/2003 Neo Geo ROM archives will look for the neogeo.zip appropriate (and found within) the romset itself; the one for FBA is something like 1.6MB in size and the one for MAME is 230K. There are other Neo Geo bios options too (for CD games, for example) so it might be a case of mismatched emulators, ROM archives and neogeo.zip bios archives on your end, possibly, if that makes sense.

DCXPIG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Metal Slug 3 is one of the games that won't run, you'll have to create a playlist and load it from that. It will work then.
I don't have 3 on there but 5 works like a charm. The roms that fail so far are NeoMr Do, Ghost Pilots, Crossed Swords, Magician Lord.. No rhyme or reason, larger titles work fine. Thanks for your replies, appreciated

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Various Neo Geo emulators may require specific neogeo.zip bios archive files to be placed in the same folder as the roms. FBA, MAME 2000/2003 Neo Geo ROM archives will look for the neogeo.zip appropriate (and found within) the romset itself; the one for FBA is something like 1.6MB in size and the one for MAME is 230K. There are other Neo Geo bios options too (for CD games, for example) so it might be a case of mismatched emulators, ROM archives and neogeo.zip bios archives on your end, possibly, if that makes sense.

Okay, that makes sense and gives me something to look for. The error messages scroll too quickly for me to get a read on what potentially is happening, thanks much!

DCXPIG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well, I've tried just about every variant of bios I can find out there including the uni but have the same problem. Are there any other suggestions or do you believe it might be related to the core I'm employing? I just booted MS5 again and a bunch of others with no problems however the original problem titles are still "failing to load content." Thanks again

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure about the others but Magician Lord runs fine on FBA, MAME 2000, MAME 2003 and also the stand alone FBA Neo Geo core for me on retroarch 1.3.2/3. Are you sure you're running (for example) Magician Lord on MAME 2003 from the MAME 0.78 romset?

Also, not all 3DS retroarch builds are / were built the same. I stick with older ones myself but compatibility even with the correct ROMs can't be taken for granted, unfortunately.

DCXPIG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure about the others but Magician Lord runs fine on FBA, MAME 2000, MAME 2003 and also the stand alone FBA Neo Geo core for me on retroarch 1.3.2/3. Are you sure you're running (for example) Magician Lord on MAME 2003 from the MAME 0.78 romset?

Also, not all 3DS retroarch builds are / were built the same. I stick with older ones myself but compatibility even with the correct ROMs can't be taken for granted, unfortunately.

That I haven't played with, I took the nightly from a few days ago but haven't tried another. I'll give it a shot and same with the other cores .78 romsets are the only ones to stick with? Thanks for your post

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No worries and yes - only use 0.78 ROMs with Mame 2003. Magician Lord from an FBA romset won't work with a Mame emulator and vice versa - they will share the same archive name but can contain different components / be different sizes.

It could be a crapshoot until you refer to and download the correct romsets for the emulators; check out the Libretro / RA wiki pages and archive.org for the right info and sets. You might need to obtain a multi-gigabyte archive to extract the right ROMs (and corresponding bios) for the specific emulators you're using but between Mame 2000, Mame 2003 and FBA you should hopefully be covered nicely.

DCXPIG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to close the loop, my problem was in the collection of bios files. I've been able to get nearly everything working albeit FBAlpha runs great while Mame2000/2003 are slow, I'm going to play with the release now and see if there's a better version than the current. If anyone has a go to please post/ Thanks all!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol