Level 5 press conference- Fantasy Life (DS), 512 megabyte DS game

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heads up for a long post. Here's some of the highlights of a Level 5 press conference. We hear about their new game, Fantasy Life (DS), as well as a previously announced DS game, Ninokuni, a spectacularly animated turn based RPG. The big new here IMO, is Ninokuni will be released on a 4gigabit (512megabytes) DS cartridge, the largest DS game ever, and the only one to date to use this size. Here we go-

Previous trailer from Ninocuni: The Another World from last year-

Screens of Ninocuni from the conference-

2132389077_view.jpg

2132389078_view.jpg

2132389076_view.jpg

2132389079_view.jpg

MORE here- http://www.andriasang.com/e/galleries/2009/08/25/ni_no_kuni/

(god that is the most gorgeous game!)
ohmy.gif

Some screens of Fantasy Life-

IGbo35svr5k5z6Exg17o96ramuP4l4j2.jpg

mY8ePM3pZrq21ryBa6NS64SSJi4cdY65.jpg

aNw6l499l4SiG9Hl5V2um8gVy5RNCtv6.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1226975_1124.html

- 5,580,000 sales for the Layton series worldwide
- the fourth entry in the Layton series is kicking off the "Professor Layton Second Season" says Level 5
- Important tidbits from the for the 4th Professor Layton trailer: new character Remi (female) is show, Luke has the ability to see how the world will end, game takes place 3 years before the original Layton
- hits Japan on Nov. 26th
- Remi is voiced by Aibu Saki, and ending theme is sung by Ando Yuuko
- "London Life" is announced, working with Brownie Brown on the project
- "London Life" is said to resemble Mother 3
- "London Life" is a life sim with the goal of making people happy. Level 5 expects 100 hours of gameplay
- details from the Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva movie trailer (title is a rough translation): hits theaters in Japan on Dec. 19th, includes characters from the 4th game, involves a puzzle that grants eternal life when solved
- the studio behind the Pokemon films is working on the movie
- Level 5 has plans to make a film every Winter
- Inazuma Eleven anime was just renewed for 2 more years
- Inazuma Eleven 2 storyline includes aliens coming to earth to play soccer, and these aliens have special attacks that involve flying into space and kiacking fireballs
- Inazuma Eleven 2 has 4 player local multiplayer
- due out October 1st in Japan
- the Inazuma Eleven manga is the most popular in CoroCoro comic weekly
- Nakata Hidetoshi (ex soccer player) to be in the game as hidden character Hide Nakata. He also lends his voice to the game
- Inazuma Eleven 2 has two versions, and each version will feature its own beginning and ending
- the tournament from the game is being turned into a real-life tournament
- Atamania games are getting word and math puzzle game sequels, as well as a "Mystery Room" sequel
- "Mystery Room" is about Pocho and Sly, two guys locked in the mysterious room
- details from new Ninokuni trailer - battles look similar to Dragon Quest, the mysterious land in the game is filled with dinosaurs and various creatures, due out Spring 2010 in Japan, female character voiced by Nagasa Masami, Oizumi You does the voice of "Gyro", and main character Olivier is voiced by Tabe Mikako, music done by Hisaishi Joe
- Ninokuni will be on a 4GB ROM, making it the biggest ever for DS. This was done to fit the music on.
- Ninokuni theme sung is performed by "Mai" and written by Hisaishi Joe
- new game shown which is called "Fantasy Life", which looks like a DS RPG (Famitsu says it's for the DS - thanks Kadir!). Once again, Brownie Brown is involved, and 21 songs provided by Nobuo Uematsu. Each of the 21 songs pairs up with a character in the game, including their own small story and ending. These all lead up to the final ending for the game.
- rumored version of Inazuma Eleven for Wii is not ready to be shown
- TGS booth will have demos of Inazuma Eleven 2, Professor Layton 4, and more. DVD will be given out with game footage

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=94312

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@DarkRey

I can assure you that when a developer decides to use a large size like this, they tend to go all out. The game doesn't just feature music, but what sounds like full voice overs. And you should have a look at the backgrounds, all of which hand drawn. The game looks like a work of art.

And I realize I said this, but in the shoutbox, you said the game would trim to 64MB. It NEVER works like that. For starters, the bigger the cartridges get, the more expensive they are. Developers would NEVER use them unless they intended to go all out on a game. And if a game could trim to 64MB, they'd USE a 64MB card, or at most a 128MB one. Spending money on huge ass sizes just to not use it is a complete waste of money. This is a big budget game. They'll use every bit of that 512MB they can. And I seriously doubt it will be short. Suikoden Tierkreis was on a 256MB cartridge. Most of the game was fully voiced. And it was quite a long game.

And Bob's Game? WTF? Are you kidding? I hope so. He's the biggest joke ever. This game is made by professionals who have already proven themselves. LMAO

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Fantasy life graphics (especially the last picture) reminds me of Mother, and a mix with Zubbo for the second picture's cubic graphics.

London life is another game to looks like mother ?

I found this :
QUOTE said:
London Life is unlockable content from the fourth Professor Laytonhttp://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=22317

QUOTE- Professor Layton's London Life (winter), an RPG-ish adventure where you run around the pseudo-olde-style London that Layton lives in.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174408

Edit :
Ah, this is right, it's shown on the official Layton website,
http://www.layton.jp/majin/index.html
On the "intro" menu, and the "100" button.
london%20life.png

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
this game looks epic, since it would waste a chunk of my downloads anyway i will prolly buy this game if it is localized...

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The graphics really couldn't get much better than this for 2D. And that's what the DS admittedly excels at. I love me a 3D game, even on DS (Kingdom Hearts DS is one of my favorites on the system). And I detest when developers don't even try, and end up making a cruddy looking 2D game that could have been on GBC or GBA. But there's a LOAD of detail in Ninocuni. It's absolutely GORGEOUS. And I can pretty much guarantee that music isn't the ONLY thing that made the game huge. There have been games 1/4 the size of this one with fully orchestrated and voiced soundtracks. I'm sure they're making good use of the data space.

Now, the REAL question is what sort of issues or protection will they put in a huge budget game like this? I'm sure such a game would make the developers protective of their stuff from pirates, especially considering the price they had to pay for 512MB. We'll see.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ninokuni looks absolutely beautiful and I guess there will be many videos as well on the cartridge. I don`t really care, how big a game is but 512mb is definitely huge!!! That`s like nearly usual PSP-size game.

But is that a smart move of Level5, since these cartridge are so expensive?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you have to remember that cartridge prices tend to drop in price after a while. It's been quite more than a year now since the first 256MB DS game (ASH) was released. Since then, more and more developers have been using 256MB cards such as Namco, Square Enix, Sega, even Lucas Arts. I'm going to assume that prices for 512MB tech has become somewhere near affordable nowadays. Plus they have pretty much all star development teams to back it up. I think they intend to build up a lot of hype so the game will sell really well.

Trust me, a company like this would not use this size unless they knew exactly what they were doing. I'm sure they have plans for how to get their money back from this investment.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
i dont expect it to be too much like 70$ avg.
fantasy life totally looks like mother (earthbound) as cyan said but ninocuni doesn't seem like it's gonna be localized as it doesnt in sites such as gamefaqs but they may see the audience reaction and definately looks good
gran i am surprised lol tht u mentioned 3 diff. spellings ie.) ninokuni,ninocuni,ninocuna
RUMOR says it will be released on the early months of 2010 and i think the size is mainly taken for graphics and more so for cutscenes as games usually take ALOT of space for cutscenes eg.) FFCC as u can see a few scenes though the game aint tht huge or Chrono trigger which is a very small file on the snes but huge on the ds bcz of sys change and few cutscenes

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wait... I remember reading that due to technical limitations games can't be over 2Gbit (256MB) without bankswitching. So does this employ bankswitching or not? If what I read was right, then we may have some problems running this game on flashcards...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
wchill said:
Wait... I remember reading that due to technical limitations games can't be over 2Gbit (256MB) without bankswitching. So does this employ bankswitching or not? If what I read was right, then we may have some problems running this game on flashcards...
It's like Snes, it was technically limited to 32Mb cartridge, and they could release 48Mb with the software(right?) (Tales Of phantasia) or hardware (Star ocean) custom adress processing.
I don't know about the DS flashcard capabilities, I suppose if it's software bank shifting it will work with current card/firmware.

QUOTE(Maktub @ Aug 25 2009, 01:44 PM) Studio Ghibli, anyone?
Yes, nice to heard Joe Hisaishi music
smile.gif

are there any ghibli animator too ?

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Technically, the DS can read up to 4 Gigabytes cartridges. But one of those would be too expensive.

I was expecting a lot of movies in this game, since Ghibli is working on it, but 512Megabytes is a lot for a DS game.

Maktub

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyan said:
Maktub said:
Studio Ghibli, anyone?
Yes, nice to heard Joe Hisaishi music
smile.gif

are there any ghibli animator too ?
Not sure, but from the animations I'd say there must be. It doesn't look like Hayao's work but rather like the latter Studio Ghibli's movies (the moving castle and so on, with rather small work by Hayao).

Looks very good, actually.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
If you have been following the game, Ghibli says they were going to produce 5 minutes of high quality animations per month. Makes me wonder how many minutes there are now since they said that. Maybe thats the reason for the big memory.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fantasy Life looks like Mother from those screens. Is it that same as London Life? Did I skip something? From those graphics, I'm waiting for, at the next press conference, them to rip off the title "Fantasy Life" to reveal "MOTHER 4". That would make my day, week, month, and year.

Nokuni's graphics just took the shortcut of very nice 3-D models over a 2-D background. Kind of a bummer, since I'm more a fan of all 2-D or all 3-D. A lot of the size of the game is probably just taken up by animated cutscenes. It looks like it'll have a lot. It's not looking too interesting to me though.

Atleast is Brownie Brown is involved in some games. It's a Nintendo subsidary so it'll essentially be a Nintendo game. While some of you may think Ninty is the anti-Christ, you can't admit most of their games look good (outside of Fossil Fighters...)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro