Level 5 press conference- Fantasy Life (DS), 512 megabyte DS game

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by granville, Aug 25, 2009.

1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Heads up for a long post. Here's some of the highlights of a Level 5 press conference. We hear about their new game, Fantasy Life (DS), as well as a previously announced DS game, Ninokuni, a spectacularly animated turn based RPG. The big new here IMO, is Ninokuni will be released on a 4gigabit (512megabytes) DS cartridge, the largest DS game ever, and the only one to date to use this size. Here we go-

Previous trailer from Ninocuni: The Another World from last year-

Screens of Ninocuni from the conference-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MORE here- http://www.andriasang.com/e/galleries/2009/08/25/ni_no_kuni/

(god that is the most gorgeous game!) [​IMG]

Some screens of Fantasy Life-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1226975_1124.html

- 5,580,000 sales for the Layton series worldwide
    - the fourth entry in the Layton series is kicking off the "Professor Layton Second Season" says Level 5
    - Important tidbits from the for the 4th Professor Layton trailer: new character Remi (female) is show, Luke has the ability to see how the world will end, game takes place 3 years before the original Layton
    - hits Japan on Nov. 26th
    - Remi is voiced by Aibu Saki, and ending theme is sung by Ando Yuuko
    - "London Life" is announced, working with Brownie Brown on the project
    - "London Life" is said to resemble Mother 3
    - "London Life" is a life sim with the goal of making people happy. Level 5 expects 100 hours of gameplay
    - details from the Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva movie trailer (title is a rough translation): hits theaters in Japan on Dec. 19th, includes characters from the 4th game, involves a puzzle that grants eternal life when solved
    - the studio behind the Pokemon films is working on the movie
    - Level 5 has plans to make a film every Winter
    - Inazuma Eleven anime was just renewed for 2 more years
    - Inazuma Eleven 2 storyline includes aliens coming to earth to play soccer, and these aliens have special attacks that involve flying into space and kiacking fireballs
    - Inazuma Eleven 2 has 4 player local multiplayer
    - due out October 1st in Japan
    - the Inazuma Eleven manga is the most popular in CoroCoro comic weekly
    - Nakata Hidetoshi (ex soccer player) to be in the game as hidden character Hide Nakata. He also lends his voice to the game
    - Inazuma Eleven 2 has two versions, and each version will feature its own beginning and ending
    - the tournament from the game is being turned into a real-life tournament
    - Atamania games are getting word and math puzzle game sequels, as well as a "Mystery Room" sequel
    - "Mystery Room" is about Pocho and Sly, two guys locked in the mysterious room
    - details from new Ninokuni trailer - battles look similar to Dragon Quest, the mysterious land in the game is filled with dinosaurs and various creatures, due out Spring 2010 in Japan, female character voiced by Nagasa Masami, Oizumi You does the voice of "Gyro", and main character Olivier is voiced by Tabe Mikako, music done by Hisaishi Joe
    - Ninokuni will be on a 4GB ROM, making it the biggest ever for DS. This was done to fit the music on.
    - Ninokuni theme sung is performed by "Mai" and written by Hisaishi Joe
    - new game shown which is called "Fantasy Life", which looks like a DS RPG (Famitsu says it's for the DS - thanks Kadir!). Once again, Brownie Brown is involved, and 21 songs provided by Nobuo Uematsu. Each of the 21 songs pairs up with a character in the game, including their own small story and ending. These all lead up to the final ending for the game.
    - rumored version of Inazuma Eleven for Wii is not ready to be shown
    - TGS booth will have demos of Inazuma Eleven 2, Professor Layton 4, and more. DVD will be given out with game footage

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=94312

2. DarkRey

Member DarkRey still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!

Croatia
    this reminds me of "Bob's Game" [​IMG]

I bet the story is gonna be short

3. granville
    OP

United States
    @DarkRey

I can assure you that when a developer decides to use a large size like this, they tend to go all out. The game doesn't just feature music, but what sounds like full voice overs. And you should have a look at the backgrounds, all of which hand drawn. The game looks like a work of art.

And I realize I said this, but in the shoutbox, you said the game would trim to 64MB. It NEVER works like that. For starters, the bigger the cartridges get, the more expensive they are. Developers would NEVER use them unless they intended to go all out on a game. And if a game could trim to 64MB, they'd USE a 64MB card, or at most a 128MB one. Spending money on huge ass sizes just to not use it is a complete waste of money. This is a big budget game. They'll use every bit of that 512MB they can. And I seriously doubt it will be short. Suikoden Tierkreis was on a 256MB cartridge. Most of the game was fully voiced. And it was quite a long game.

And Bob's Game? WTF? Are you kidding? I hope so. He's the biggest joke ever. This game is made by professionals who have already proven themselves. LMAO

4. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Fantasy life graphics (especially the last picture) reminds me of Mother, and a mix with Zubbo for the second picture's cubic graphics.

London life is another game to looks like mother ?

I found this :
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174408

Edit :
    Ah, this is right, it's shown on the official Layton website,
    http://www.layton.jp/majin/index.html
    On the "intro" menu, and the "100" button.
    [​IMG]

5. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    this game looks epic, since it would waste a chunk of my downloads anyway i will prolly buy this game if it is localized...

6. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    i might just buy this game because of this fact.

7. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I can only encourage bigger DS games, but I would rather have some better graphics then a shitload of music.
    Just my 2 cents.

8. granville
    OP

United States
    The graphics really couldn't get much better than this for 2D. And that's what the DS admittedly excels at. I love me a 3D game, even on DS (Kingdom Hearts DS is one of my favorites on the system). And I detest when developers don't even try, and end up making a cruddy looking 2D game that could have been on GBC or GBA. But there's a LOAD of detail in Ninocuni. It's absolutely GORGEOUS. And I can pretty much guarantee that music isn't the ONLY thing that made the game huge. There have been games 1/4 the size of this one with fully orchestrated and voiced soundtracks. I'm sure they're making good use of the data space.

Now, the REAL question is what sort of issues or protection will they put in a huge budget game like this? I'm sure such a game would make the developers protective of their stuff from pirates, especially considering the price they had to pay for 512MB. We'll see.

9. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    Ninokuni looks absolutely beautiful and I guess there will be many videos as well on the cartridge. I don`t really care, how big a game is but 512mb is definitely huge!!! That`s like nearly usual PSP-size game.

But is that a smart move of Level5, since these cartridge are so expensive?

10. granville
    OP

United States
    Well, you have to remember that cartridge prices tend to drop in price after a while. It's been quite more than a year now since the first 256MB DS game (ASH) was released. Since then, more and more developers have been using 256MB cards such as Namco, Square Enix, Sega, even Lucas Arts. I'm going to assume that prices for 512MB tech has become somewhere near affordable nowadays. Plus they have pretty much all star development teams to back it up. I think they intend to build up a lot of hype so the game will sell really well.

Trust me, a company like this would not use this size unless they knew exactly what they were doing. I'm sure they have plans for how to get their money back from this investment.

11. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    i dont expect it to be too much like 70$ avg.
    fantasy life totally looks like mother (earthbound) as cyan said but ninocuni doesn't seem like it's gonna be localized as it doesnt in sites such as gamefaqs but they may see the audience reaction and definately looks good
    gran i am surprised lol tht u mentioned 3 diff. spellings ie.) ninokuni,ninocuni,ninocuna
    RUMOR says it will be released on the early months of 2010 and i think the size is mainly taken for graphics and more so for cutscenes as games usually take ALOT of space for cutscenes eg.) FFCC as u can see a few scenes though the game aint tht huge or Chrono trigger which is a very small file on the snes but huge on the ds bcz of sys change and few cutscenes

12. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    Wait... I remember reading that due to technical limitations games can't be over 2Gbit (256MB) without bankswitching. So does this employ bankswitching or not? If what I read was right, then we may have some problems running this game on flashcards...

13. Maktub

Member Maktub GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    Studio Ghibli, anyone?

14. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Yes, nice to heard Joe Hisaishi music [​IMG]
    are there any ghibli animator too ?

15. jgu1994

Member jgu1994 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Can't wait, level 5 hasn't disappointed me so far.

16. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Technically, the DS can read up to 4 Gigabytes cartridges. But one of those would be too expensive.

I was expecting a lot of movies in this game, since Ghibli is working on it, but 512Megabytes is a lot for a DS game.

17. Maktub

Member Maktub GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    Not sure, but from the animations I'd say there must be. It doesn't look like Hayao's work but rather like the latter Studio Ghibli's movies (the moving castle and so on, with rather small work by Hayao).

Looks very good, actually.

18. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    If you have been following the game, Ghibli says they were going to produce 5 minutes of high quality animations per month. Makes me wonder how many minutes there are now since they said that. Maybe thats the reason for the big memory.

19. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Fantasy Life looks like Mother from those screens. Is it that same as London Life? Did I skip something? From those graphics, I'm waiting for, at the next press conference, them to rip off the title "Fantasy Life" to reveal "MOTHER 4". That would make my day, week, month, and year.

Nokuni's graphics just took the shortcut of very nice 3-D models over a 2-D background. Kind of a bummer, since I'm more a fan of all 2-D or all 3-D. A lot of the size of the game is probably just taken up by animated cutscenes. It looks like it'll have a lot. It's not looking too interesting to me though.

Atleast is Brownie Brown is involved in some games. It's a Nintendo subsidary so it'll essentially be a Nintendo game. While some of you may think Ninty is the anti-Christ, you can't admit most of their games look good (outside of Fossil Fighters...)

20. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    Hope it is good.
    Might crash frequently like other huge games.