Lets go over great platformers on DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Dwight, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Dwight
    OP

Dwight Gawb. Gawb Bluth.

Aug 14, 2008
    United States
    Washington State
    I've been in the mood for some lately so I want to know what I've missed out on. More like Giana Sisters.

What are your favorites? I really enjoyed Giana Sisters DS, NSMB (despite it's difficulty, it was still a solid platformer), Kirby Super Star (already beat it 100 times on my actual SNES cart, but it was still a fun run through), Spiderman: Web of Shadows or whatever it's called.

Show me more [​IMG]

2. geminisama

geminisama Metsu

Jul 17, 2008
    United States
    Oregon
    Yoshi's Island DS, Kirby Squeak Squad, and Legendary Starfy (despite it's childlike appearance.)

3. granville

granville GBAtemp Goat

Aug 24, 2007
    United States
    Naples, Florida
    - Castlevania series (any of the 3)
    - Sonic Rush and Adventure (hit or miss, some love, some hate)
    - Megaman ZX/Advent
    - Super Princess Peach (ignore the pinky girlness and play it)
    - Yoshi's Island DS
    - Crash of the Titans (3D, short but fun)
    - Mario 64 DS (I liked this one, others have mixed feelings)
    - Donkey Kong Jungle Climber

4. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    I'm playing Assassin's Creed II and it's quite good. One part action, one part stealth, one part acrobatic platforming.

5. Raika

Raika uguu

Sep 15, 2008
    uguu
    Castlevania Series
    SM64
    DK Jungle Climber
    Sonic Rush
    Yoshi's Island DS
    Legendary Starfy
    Super Princess Peach

6. SoulAnger

SoulAnger MENUdo's Developer

Jul 3, 2007
    If you want something unique, Go Go Beckham: Adventures on Soccer Island. Its on the gba tho. :[

7. GeekyGuy

GeekyGuy Professional loafer

Global Moderator
    Jun 21, 2007
    United States
    It's already been mention, but I'll +1 Legendary Starfy. It starts out really easy and never gets too challenging, really, but it's got tons of charm.

8. prowler

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
    +1!

9. Terenigma

Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

Nov 10, 2008
    Earth
    I had a huge craving for platforming games the other week and i still think kirby games are the best platforming games for DS but ill write down some others iv enjoyed

Kirby superstar Ultra / Kirby squeak squad
    Sonic Rush/ Sonic Rush Adventure
    Megaman zx advent

10. Inunah

Inunah The Female Mistaken for a Male.

Banned
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    USA
    I don't have a favorite, but there are some that come dang close to fave, which are:

1. Maestro! Jump in Music - Technically it's a Rhythm/Platformer that hasn't been released yet, but I saw the trailers and the music for the game is good... It's more of a rhythm than a platformer, technically, since you're only swiping strings on the screen, but it really is a platformer... And a good one at that.
    2. New Super Mario Bros. - Just like old times. Yeah...
    3. Super Princess Peach - Not too bad, this game. [​IMG]
    4. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin - The best Castlevania game i've ever played, hands down... Since I didn't get the chance to play the old NES or GBA versions. There was that ONE other DS game that came before this, but it was the sequel to a GBA one so I didn't play it in fear of self-confusion.
    5. Kirby Super Star Ultra - Magnificent gameplay, awesome graphics, and the only thing I have a vendetta against are the awkward controls on the ABXY buttons. [​IMG]
    6. Kirby: Canvas Curse - Sweet game. Unique controls. Awesome boss levels. That is all. [​IMG]
    7. Sonic Rush - Hard as hell game, sweet graphics, and good controls. Beats any of those console craps any day.

11. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London
    No love for henry hatsworth [​IMG]

Excellent game on all accounts though it can be difficult.

12. djshok

djshok Member

Newcomer
    Jul 22, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Don't forget Contra 4. It's hard as hell, but fun.

The Simpsons Game is also fun. [​IMG]

Then there's Boing! Docomodake DS, lots of fun if you don't mind playing with the stylus.

13. Peefree

Peefree Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    Canada

Please do yourself a favour and play this game. It is way better than PoR and you won't be confused by the story. Although it is a sequel, the stories are more or less seperate. I played them in reverse order and then played the DS one again after because it was so good.

14. Donato_Dobango

Donato_Dobango GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 13, 2008
    United States
    Since we're counting DK Jungle Climber:

GoGo Cosmic Cops - fun platformer that uses grappling hook mechanics to race through levels.

Chronos Twin - Weird European Only Release where you play present-self and future-self on both screens at the same time. Artwork is VERY Dragonball Z-esque and levels are very Mega Man like. Weird and worth a shot just to see how the mechanic works.

Umihara Kawase Jun Second Edition - A Lot like GoGoCosmic Cops, only all in Japanese. The rom does require a hex edit, there's weird AP. Other than that, the level design is great and the game plays like a modern day Bionic Commando with a main character that's a Japanese schoolgirl

Tak The Great Juju Challenge - It's a licensed game, but done pretty well. It actually plays as a modern day Tombo without the pink hair. You go around the jungle completing missions in a 2D side scroller.

Rayman Ravin' Rabbids - The first game featuring the Rabbids on the DS was a classic platformer. Retro gameplay is charming, the only problem is an ugly and complicated overworld map system.

15. Nonuser

Nonuser Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2008
    United States
    Henry Hatsworth!

Pretty amazing little game, though the puzzle aspect sometimes gets in the way...(okay, most of the time.)

16. Donato_Dobango

Donato_Dobango GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 13, 2008
    United States
    I cannot believe I missed Henry Hatsworth on my list.

A bit of warning about Ol' Henry, though: the game is diabolical. Every jump and turn in the later levels has to be perfectly times or you will die... a lot... repeatedly.

It turned a game that looked like Mario into Castlevania or Metroid on crack towards the end. Just ultimate platforming challenges.

I can't wait for their next game Project Monster, which appears to mix platforming with Pokemon-style monster raising.