Gaming Lets go over great platformers on DS

Dwight

Gawb. Gawb Bluth.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been in the mood for some lately so I want to know what I've missed out on. More like Giana Sisters.

What are your favorites? I really enjoyed Giana Sisters DS, NSMB (despite it's difficulty, it was still a solid platformer), Kirby Super Star (already beat it 100 times on my actual SNES cart, but it was still a fun run through), Spiderman: Web of Shadows or whatever it's called.

Show me more
yaynds.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- Castlevania series (any of the 3)
- Sonic Rush and Adventure (hit or miss, some love, some hate)
- Megaman ZX/Advent
- Super Princess Peach (ignore the pinky girlness and play it)
- Yoshi's Island DS
- Crash of the Titans (3D, short but fun)
- Mario 64 DS (I liked this one, others have mixed feelings)
- Donkey Kong Jungle Climber

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm playing Assassin's Creed II and it's quite good. One part action, one part stealth, one part acrobatic platforming.

granville said:
- Castlevania series (any of the 3): I've never been a big Castlevania guy, but these are still fun. They don't really fetch my attention for long and I usually end up deleting them from my cart, but I can see why people like them.
- Sonic Rush and Adventure (hit or miss, some love, some hate): Sonic Rush was excellent. Sonic Rush Adventure was terrible
- Megaman ZX/Advent: Never really cared. I gave Advent a try once and never really got past the first level.
- Super Princess Peach (ignore the pinky girlness and play it): I'll give it a try eventually
- Yoshi's Island DS: I liked it
- Crash of the Titans (3D, short but fun): I MISS YOU CRASH BANDICOOT! Probably the most original Crash game in recent memory, even with bad combat
- Mario 64 DS (I liked this one, others have mixed feelings): I'll go with you. I liked it a lot. I felt the D-Pad was better than the analog stick, ironically
- Donkey Kong Jungle Climber: Never tried it.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
Castlevania Series
SM64
DK Jungle Climber
Sonic Rush
Yoshi's Island DS
Legendary Starfy
Super Princess Peach

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's already been mention, but I'll +1 Legendary Starfy. It starts out really easy and never gets too challenging, really, but it's got tons of charm.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
I had a huge craving for platforming games the other week and i still think kirby games are the best platforming games for DS but ill write down some others iv enjoyed

Kirby superstar Ultra / Kirby squeak squad
Sonic Rush/ Sonic Rush Adventure
Megaman zx advent

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a favorite, but there are some that come dang close to fave, which are:

1. Maestro! Jump in Music - Technically it's a Rhythm/Platformer that hasn't been released yet, but I saw the trailers and the music for the game is good... It's more of a rhythm than a platformer, technically, since you're only swiping strings on the screen, but it really is a platformer... And a good one at that.
2. New Super Mario Bros. - Just like old times. Yeah...
3. Super Princess Peach - Not too bad, this game.
biggrin.gif

4. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin - The best Castlevania game i've ever played, hands down... Since I didn't get the chance to play the old NES or GBA versions. There was that ONE other DS game that came before this, but it was the sequel to a GBA one so I didn't play it in fear of self-confusion.
5. Kirby Super Star Ultra - Magnificent gameplay, awesome graphics, and the only thing I have a vendetta against are the awkward controls on the ABXY buttons.
biggrin.gif

6. Kirby: Canvas Curse - Sweet game. Unique controls. Awesome boss levels. That is all.
wink.gif

7. Sonic Rush - Hard as hell game, sweet graphics, and good controls. Beats any of those console craps any day.

djshok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't forget Contra 4. It's hard as hell, but fun.

The Simpsons Game is also fun.
yaynds.gif

Then there's Boing! Docomodake DS, lots of fun if you don't mind playing with the stylus.

Peefree

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Inunah said:
I don't have a favorite, but there are some that come dang close to fave, which are:

1. Maestro! Jump in Music - Technically it's a Rhythm/Platformer that hasn't been released yet, but I saw the trailers and the music for the game is good... It's more of a rhythm than a platformer, technically, since you're only swiping strings on the screen, but it really is a platformer... And a good one at that.
2. New Super Mario Bros. - Just like old times. Yeah...
3. Super Princess Peach - Not too bad, this game.
biggrin.gif

4. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin - The best Castlevania game i've ever played, hands down... Since I didn't get the chance to play the old NES or GBA versions. There was that ONE other DS game that came before this, but it was the sequel to a GBA one so I didn't play it in fear of self-confusion.
5. Kirby Super Star Ultra - Magnificent gameplay, awesome graphics, and the only thing I have a vendetta against are the awkward controls on the ABXY buttons.
biggrin.gif

6. Kirby: Canvas Curse - Sweet game. Unique controls. Awesome boss levels. That is all.
wink.gif

7. Sonic Rush - Hard as hell game, sweet graphics, and good controls. Beats any of those console craps any day.

Please do yourself a favour and play this game. It is way better than PoR and you won't be confused by the story. Although it is a sequel, the stories are more or less seperate. I played them in reverse order and then played the DS one again after because it was so good.

Donato_Dobango

Trophies
Website
www.fairuseradio.com
XP
Country
United States
Since we're counting DK Jungle Climber:

GoGo Cosmic Cops - fun platformer that uses grappling hook mechanics to race through levels.

Chronos Twin - Weird European Only Release where you play present-self and future-self on both screens at the same time. Artwork is VERY Dragonball Z-esque and levels are very Mega Man like. Weird and worth a shot just to see how the mechanic works.

Umihara Kawase Jun Second Edition - A Lot like GoGoCosmic Cops, only all in Japanese. The rom does require a hex edit, there's weird AP. Other than that, the level design is great and the game plays like a modern day Bionic Commando with a main character that's a Japanese schoolgirl

Tak The Great Juju Challenge - It's a licensed game, but done pretty well. It actually plays as a modern day Tombo without the pink hair. You go around the jungle completing missions in a 2D side scroller.

Rayman Ravin' Rabbids - The first game featuring the Rabbids on the DS was a classic platformer. Retro gameplay is charming, the only problem is an ugly and complicated overworld map system.

Nonuser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Henry Hatsworth!

Pretty amazing little game, though the puzzle aspect sometimes gets in the way...(okay, most of the time.)

Donato_Dobango

Trophies
Website
www.fairuseradio.com
XP
Country
United States
I cannot believe I missed Henry Hatsworth on my list.

A bit of warning about Ol' Henry, though: the game is diabolical. Every jump and turn in the later levels has to be perfectly times or you will die... a lot... repeatedly.

It turned a game that looked like Mario into Castlevania or Metroid on crack towards the end. Just ultimate platforming challenges.

I can't wait for their next game Project Monster, which appears to mix platforming with Pokemon-style monster raising.

ArtisanHyren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night for DS. The best Spyro title on the DS for being an action platformer. It has some rough spots like the camera and clunky boss fights and puzzles but fro the most part it functions as a platformer and it isn't overwhelming in the general baddies combat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol