Hacking Legal Homebrew Usage

Stress

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
First of, sorry for my English. Not a native speaker.

I want to install Homebrew Channel and to use some homebrew apps with minimal required nand manipulations. I don't want to mod ios-es or install cios-es.

I have a lot of legal digital content on my Wii U - actually, everything I needed for Wii/Wii U I bought (even a lot of NES games)> I just don't want to risk, so the suspicious activity must be at minimum.

I had some experience with original Wii, used homebrew channel a lot and used my console as mediaplayer. But I remember that for usb activation in MPlayer CE it was needed to mod IOSes. I would like to avoid such modifications on WiiU.

All I need:

- Video files playback from hdd in vWii
- Homebrew emulators for some nes and snes games, which will never be in wii/e- shop (some old Disney licensed games, for example)

Is it even possible with my restrictions?

Thank you for response

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think (don't hold me to it) that between ios58 (which has usb2.0) and AHBPROT you shouldn't need a cIOS for MPlayer. Not positive though, and when it comes to the emulators, last I knew those still need a cIOS
My emulators never asked for a cIOS, and I used them before I ever softmodded my Wii. Maybe that has changed though.

Thanks.

Maybe the last one: is homebrew browser safe?
I don't see why not. It doesn't do anything besides list content in an online database and let you download it to your SD card.
But honestly I wouldn't worry about using homebrew on the Wii U in vWii mode. Nintendo is not known for banning homebrew users and even if they started now I doubt it would be with vWii mode when they had the option to ban homebrew users on the Wii but never did.

Stress

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Something unexpected happened:

I used smashstack and hackme installer. Everything were ok before the ending of installation process. I was returned to menu and there were no HBC. Then I tried again and this is what HMInstaller wrote: "This installer cannot continue. There is no usable or vulnerable IOS installed on this Wii.
One minute before it successfully found and used ios 58... Another surprise from beloved Nin? )

I'll try again.
And thank you for all your responses.

Stress

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
There are two problems:

- fixed aspect ratio of HBC (4:3)
- inactive usb ports

The first problem is rather spread, so I hope it won't take for too long to find solution. If you have a link and don't mind to share - post it please. But that's not too important.
MC player and MPlayer CE both don't see my hdd (tried every port). I guess, I need to install some [c]IOS and that's not good. Maybe you have some suggestions...

Emulators work fine.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you don't need cIOs, All you need is the meta.xml with <ahb_access/> tag to enable USB without cIOS.
Then don't use an outdated homebrew (because it would ask for cIOS instead of AHB access).
Use an externally powered USB drive or use a Y-Cable because WiiU doesn't provide as much power than Wii and that's why your HDD is not recognized.

for aspect ration, after launching HBC run this homebrew and it will fix the ratio, then you can run your favorite homebrew:
http://www.tueidj.net/aspect_fix.zip

Reactions: Stress

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ