Leak claims a PlayStation 5 Pro will launch later this year

Sony-PS5-Pro-PlayStation-5-Pro.jpg

A YouTuber has leaked some insider paperwork that reveals what future plans Sony has in store for the next PlayStation hardware. The channel Moore's Law Is Dead showcased what are purportedly internal documents directly from PlayStation's developer portal, stating that a PlayStation 5 Pro is allegedly in the works.

According to these papers, Sony aims to have a PS5 Pro--codenamed Trinity--out for the 2024 holiday season, with the system boasting major performance increases over the original PS5. Supposedly, the PlayStation 5 Pro will offer 33.5 teraflops, compared to the PlayStation 5's current 10.28 teraflops, and will utilize Sony's own in-house developed upscaling software, which will provide benefits similar to AMD's FSR or NVIDIA's DLSS, with the potential to upscale up to 8K resolution. Further features are listed below.

• Rendering 45% faster than PS5
  • 2-3x Ray-tracing (x4 in some cases)
  • 33.5 Teraflops
  • PSSR (PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution Upscaling) upscaling/antialiasing solution
  • Support for resolutions up to 8K is planned for future SDK version
  • Custom machine learning architecture
  • AI Accelerator, supporting 300 TOPS of 8 bit computation / 67 TFLOPS of 16-bit floating point

While Moore's Law Is Dead has a hit and miss track record when it comes to leaking accurate information, another reputable outlet for leaks named Insider-Gaming claimed that the information within the video was true, and that Trinity devkits had been sent out to developers as early as September 2023, reiterating the claims of a holiday 2024 launch window for the console.

:arrow: Source: Insider-Gaming
:arrow: Source: Moore's Law is Dead

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I'd rather they take a break from pushing marketing and insisting on 8k talk. Stick with 4k and get good games, running at consistent and reliable rates. More importantly enjoyable games. I feel 8k, is going to be not that worth it, diminishing returns over 4k (granted not even really 8k)

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm reading fine, I just think you're wrong. The PS5 can't guarantee locked 4k60 in all games, so if this leak is accurate the Pro is a very welcome upgrade.

As for Switch 2, calling it next gen is stupid as it's an incremental upgrade that seems to be even smaller than PS5 to PS5 Pro. Again, all based on if the leaks/rumours are true.
And that's fine, we won't know tell we see the actual product and what it can do.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They can improve the console by making it not look like a fugly as shit router. PS5 is easily the fugliest console ever, even more fugly than the VCR Xbone.

Reactions: ChaosEternal

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not sure if 8K is really going to be a thing, even about the time the PS6 comes out.
yeah at the moment 8k isnt for normal users only for creators or pc enthusiast

even my 4090 cant do 8k tripple a games without somekind of nvidia magic like dlss
BUT oldgames and emulators in 8k is a whole different story

Reactions: Blythe93

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Are there any remaining worthwhile PS5 games?
Stellar Blade, if you're fine with female PCs. Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, I suppose.

I'd say Spider-Man 2, but considering it's affected by Sweet Baby...nah. Ghost of Tsushima is coming to PC soon, so not that. Persona is now essentially entirely on PC, as well, with extensive mod support. Can't think of anything else.

Sir Tortoise

Trophies
XP
Country
An "AI Accelerator"? Yes this surely sounds real. My uncle works at Sony and can confirm this is real, they're bringing it out because of the impending Switch 2 release which does 8K as well. It'll be out next month (as of the time of you reading this)

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
Yay! I can't wait to get PS5 Pro! Because I hold for this longer and skipped normal PS5. Time to party on! Oh yes, sexy baby from Sony! :hrth::toot::bow:

I heard AMD company signed with Sony for PS6 to still use AMD chips. Means like we can play old PS4 games and PS5 games (both disc and digital) on PS6 hardware! I happy for AMD to bring old PS4 and PS5 games back from memories for PS6.

PlayStation is getting more stronger and can do crush Nintendo consoles like Switch and Switch 2 into pieces. Sony is booming and very popular due to very stronger sales over Nintendo. Congrats to Sony! AMD punch Nvidia out! LOL :rofl2:

1710589007194.png

Last edited by console,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Honestly, the PS5 just don't seem that old, but I guess Sony wants to keep it's momentum going by releasing newer hardware to stay relevant
It’s weird to think about, but the thing released in 2020. The pandemic “ate” 3 years of everyone’s lives so our perception of time is a little skewed. In reality the PS5 is right around the half-way point of its life cycle.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yay! I can't wait to get PS5 Pro! Because I hold for this longer and skipped normal PS5. Time to party on! Oh yes, sexy baby from Sony! :hrth::toot::bow:

I heard AMD company signed with Sony for PS6 to still use AMD chips. Means like we can play old PS4 games and PS5 games (both disc and digital) on PS6 hardware! I happy for AMD to bring old PS4 and PS5 games back from memories for PS6.

PlayStation is getting more stronger and can do crush Nintendo consoles like Switch and Switch 2 into pieces. Sony is booming and very popular due to very stronger sales over Nintendo. Congrats to Sony! AMD punch Nvidia out! LOL :rofl2:

View attachment 426053
Lol did you make that graph based on the ideas in your own head?

Sure the switch has old hardware but it actually has games

PS6 will launch and PS5 will have had like 3 games worth buying

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
Lol did you make that graph based on the ideas in your own head?

Sure the switch has old hardware but it actually has games

PS6 will launch and PS5 will have had like 3 games worth buying

Yes I did it. Just for my opinion about future get very popular like that for example.

Exactly.

Agree with you. I can't wait what PS6 hardware will look like.

Cheers B-)

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just 33.5TFLOPS? That's pretty pathetic considering you can get that by having a mid-range PC... but the PS5 already released with pretty outdated hardware (watered-down Zen 2) when Zen 3 was available, the GPU wasn't even true RDNA2... so yeah, I'm not surprised.
Console gaming is nowhere near the performance of computers, nowadays. There was a time when that wasn't the case (think during the early 2000s), but PC gaming has far surpassed console gaming by leaps and bounds. Expect it to always be watered down now.

I still think PS5 and Xbox are more powerful than their competitors, i.e. Nintendo Switch. Therefore, they'll continue to do fairly well, but they need to be at a lower price point if they're going to compete in the new gaming PC space, otherwise they'll be overtaken by the likes of Valve's Steam Deck, ASUS' ROG Ally, Lenovo's Legion Go, and any other successors and competitors. No, the PlayStation Portal doesn't count.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 120hz tv, so I'd like more games to support that. I'll get one eventually if it does that.

It’s weird to think about, but the thing released in 2020. The pandemic “ate” 3 years of everyone’s lives so our perception of time is a little skewed. In reality the PS5 is right around the half-way point of its life cycle.
I think the scarcity of it gave the perception it wasn't really out to a lot of folks. A paper launch, though really it was just selling out immediately. Same with Xbox. I wonder how many years it was before you could go into a store and actually just buy one, without keeping close eye on the stock.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
They just want to make themselves look more special being literally the strongest console ever, but the games say otherwise. The reason Nintendo manages to be so good in terms of their games (don't tell me about the ninjas I know about that), is that they don't prioritize all these complex features that are into these consoles. They put more work into making the games enjoyable for friends and family.

Xbox could be saying the same thing too on how it's more on line with Nintendo but Xbox still manages to be even more powerful than the Switch. But why get an Xbox if you can get a PC at this point?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maxouter @ Maxouter: yo