Hardware Launching for $/€499 / £429? Are they serious?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

That wasn't my point. My point was that PC's as machines are more expensive and require more maintenance than consoles which is fact. $500-$600 will buy you a mid-range PC at best, it won't last the 10-year lifespan of next generation consoles without upgrades.

As I said earlier, you could stand on your head and spin but no matter what kind of a motherboard you'll pick, the chances that CPU socket standards will not change within 10 years are close to nil.

Not to throw around empty words, since 2004 Intel has gone through 4 CPU sockets for desktop computers - LGA775 (Socket T), LGA1156 (Socket H), LGA1150 (Socket H3), LGA2011 (Socket R) and AMD has gone through 7 - Socket 939, Socket AM2, Socket AM2+, Socket AM3, Socket FM1, Socket AM3+ and Socket FM2 if not more, as I may have missed some, and not all of those are cross-compatible.

We've also gone through two memory standards - DDR2 and DDR3, which are not cross-compatible.

This means that you'd have to change the motherboard and the memory alongwith the CPU at least once within 10 years to "upgrade", effectively changing every component there is to the PC (since the graphics cards would also have to be periodically swapped for newer models).

...and what do you need to upgrade in a console within its lifespan? Nothing, unless you want a larger HDD.

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Forthcoming European releases -

07/19
The Smurfs 2

07/26
New Super Luigi U
Pikmin 3

07/31
Ashes Cricket 2013

08/23
The Wonderful 101
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist

08/30
Rayman Legends

10/18
Skylanders Swap Force (Starter Pack)

10/25
Batman: Arkham Origins

No love for Mario, Donkey, Sonic or Zelda in EU?

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
That wasn't my point. My point was that PC's as a machine are more expensive than consoles are which is fact. $500-$600 will buy you a mid-range PC at best, it won't last the 10-year lifespan of next generation consoles without upgrades.

As I said earlier, you could stand on your head and spin but no matter what kind of a motherboard you'll pick, the chances that CPU socket standards will not change within 10 years are close to nil.

Not to throw around empty words around, since 2004 Intel has gone through 4 CPU sockets for desktop computers - LGA775 (Socket T), LGA1156 (Socket H), LGA1150 (Socket H3), LGA2011 (Socket R) and AMD has gone through 7 - Socket 939, Socket AM2, Socket AM2+, Socket AM3, Socket FM1, Socket AM3+ and Socket FM2 if not more, as I may have missed some, and not all of those are cross-compatible.

We've also gone through two memory standards - DDR2 and DDR3, which are not cross-compatible.

This means that effectively you'd have to change the motherboard and the memory along the CPU at least once within 10 years to "upgrade", effectively changing every component there is to the PC (since the graphics cards would also have to be periodically upgraded for newer models).

...and what do you need to upgrade in a console within its lifespan? Nothing, unless you want a larger HDD.

Even if you have to upgrade you aren't going to have to drop another 500$ for one you can easily swap out the MOBO + CPU.... Also Game Console never last 10 years lol Microsoft has already given up on the 360 and its only barely 8 years old now... The original Xbox only lasted 4 years. Playstation 1 only 5 years, PS2 only 6 years, and PS3 only 7 years

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Even if you have to upgrade you aren't going to have to drop another 500$ for one you can easily swap out the MOBO + CPU....
Everything you have left after swapping the motherboard, the CPU, the memory and the GPU is the case and the PSU which are cheap in comparison. You're looking at another $400-$500 within 5 years tops.

Also Game Console never last 10 years lol Microsoft has already given up on the 360 and its only barely 8 years old now... The original Xbox only lasted 4 years. Playstation 1 only 5 years, PS2 only 6 years, and PS3 only 7 years
Since when? They've just released a new XBox 360 revision and they are planning to keep the 360 running alongside the XBox One as a "budget" gaming solution. The PS3 is also going to continue selling alongside the PS4 - it has a planned 10-year lifespan.

Not sure where you're getting the PS2 data, but the system was discontinued this year. It even saw a new game release - Fifa 2013. Nothing substantial, but a new game nonetheless.

Releasing a next generation system does not automatically mean that the last generation system is immediatelly pulled off the market, and this time around it's going to be especially apparent since neither the PS4 nor the XBox One are backwards compatible.

Console lifespans become longer and longer if you haven't noticed the trend. The only reason why the original XBox was discontinued so early was that it simply didn't sell - the PS2 dominated the market and it didn't have a chance to compete.

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Support vs Discontinued is not the same they haven't made a PS2 games since when? The 360 is likely only getting this year's batch of new games and then no more big titles will come from it. You can expect no more big title games for the 360 after this holiday season so you have to make the switch if you want big title games.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I get a laugh out of people. Too expensive? Don't buy. No point crying and calling Microsoft names, they don't give a shit. Why would they.

Why would they give a shit? Do you have any idea how businesses work?

Lets watch Microsoft stick with that price-tag, and be murdered in sales both by the WiiU AND the PS4.

Consoles are expensive to make, and this is a business. They're trying to make money, not give you free entertainment cuz they're swell guys.
If people crying went out and got a job instead of whining about prices you could probably afford the thing. Microsoft isn't a bunch of overpricing stingy shits just because they're trying to make money by :blink: ...RUNNING A BUSINESS!

Of course they are trying to make money. No one here asked for free anything. What I am asking, is for the price to drop.

The fact that they are a business and are trying to make money, doesn't mean they can make 50% or 60% profit for each console they sell. You think they make less profit per unit than that? Open your eyes.

If people crying went out and got a job instead of whining about prices you could probably afford the thing.

Get a job? I HAVE a job. And still will not even consider buying a 500$ console. That's ridiculous. I said this and will say again:

I could probably afford it 5 years ago. However for me, and many other people, that is just not the case anymore.

500$ consoles don't sell in a Financial Crisis. Something you clearly haven't gone through.

Also, the Xbox One is 500$. When it reaches Europe, it will almost certainly be priced 500€.

Problem?

500$ is NOT 500€.

500€ EUR = 650$ USD

So technically, if Europe gets to pay 500€ for Xbox One, so should the rest of the world pay 650$ for it. (the direct equivalent).

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Sucks for Europeans lol Even Japan is getting more then they are

It's shortsighted to see this in terms of Wii U sales only. Europe is a huge market and if the Wii U drops off the radar entirely then the Xbone is far more likely to pick up floating sales irrespective of the price. Nintendo doesn't have the same heft in Europe as it does in the US and Japan thanks to their neglect in years gone by, and MS has firmly established themselves in the void left by the Wii in the last couple of years.

It's actually more of a worry for consumers backing Sony as they have it all to lose and unless they appeal to retailers then the support is likely to go the way of cash rich MS.

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
The fact that they are a business and are trying to make money, doesn't mean they can make 50% or 60% profit for each console they sell. You think they make less profit per unit than that? Open your eyes.

Why shouldn't they make that much profit? It takes lots of time and money to develop and test, so I don't think they'd go through all of that trouble for 25%.
When my dad had his convenience store, he sold the shisha pipes at 100%. We buy for $50, sell for $100 sometimes even more.

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
...so effectively those systems were still on the market and were still selling beyond the point you outlined? Great, that's what I wanted to hear.

Console Lifespan - time span between the date of release and the date of discontinuation.

Yeah that may be true but you aren't playing any new games on it so that is equal to an outdated PC

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It's shortsighted to see this in terms of Wii U sales only. Europe is a huge market and if the Wii U drops off the radar entirely then the Xbone is far more likely to pick up floating sales irrespective of the price. Nintendo doesn't have the same heft in Europe as it does in the US and Japan thanks to their neglect in years gone by, and MS has firmly established themselves in the void left by the Wii in the last couple of years.

It's actually more of a worry for consumers backing Sony as they have it all to lose and unless they appeal to retailers then the support is likely to go the way of cash rich MS.

When does the Xbox One and PS4 comes out in Europe? Even if it drops off the Radar it will still do well look at Asia and Xbox it is there but doesn't sell at all

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Why shouldn't they make that much profit? It takes lots of time and money to develop and test, so I don't think they'd go through all of that trouble for 25%.
When my dad had his convenience store, he sold the shisha pipes at 100%. We buy for $50, sell for $100 sometimes even more.

For the simplest of reasons:

It won't sell as much as the competition.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Do you get licensing money for each pack of tobacco used in that particular shisha you sell regardless of which store you got it from or which manufacturer made it? Does your shisha have a subscription fee for multismoker use (PSN on PS4, XBox Live on 360/One)? Does your shisha charge extra for Online purchases or additional services? Exactly.

Video game consoles provide consistent profits not only from hardware sales but also software sales and service fees (if applicable), so unlike your dad's shisha's, they can be even sold at a loss and still become profitable in the long run because the more units are out there, the more you can reap on software and services.

That's the default model in this day and age - push the hardware at an affordable price and make money later because if the hardware doesn't sell, you're in the WiiU/PSVita stalemate where developers don't want to develop for a system that has a very narrow marketshare. As a console manufacturer, you want to push as much hardware as humanly possible to prevent that, this is why the prices have to be affordable and the profit margin slim if at all existant.

Selling video game consoles is an investment in the future - sell a system to a gamer and this gamer will continue to buy games for it for the next couple of years, giving you precious license money with each purchase and subscription money every couple of months.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Do you get licensing money for each pack of tobacco used in that particular shisha you sell regardless of which store you got it from or which manufacturer made it? Does your shisha have a subscription fee for multismoker use (PSN on PS4, XBox Live on 360/One)? Do your shisha's charge extra for Online purchases? Exactly.

Video game consoles provide consistent profits not only from hardware sales but also software sales and service fees (if applicable), so unlike your dad's shisha's, they can be even sold at a loss and still become profitable in the long run because the more units are out there, the more you can reap on software and services.

That's the default model in this day and age - push the hardware at an affordable price and make money later because if the hardware doesn't sell, you're in the WiiU/PSVita stalemate where developers don't want to develop for a system that has a very narrow marketshare. As a console manufacturer, you want to push as much hardware as humanly possible to prevent that, this is why the prices have to be affordable and the profit margin slim if at all existant.

Selling video game consoles is an investment in the future - sell a system to a gamer and this gamer will continue to buy games for it for the next couple of years, giving you precious license money with each purchase and subscription money every couple of months.

So very true.

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
For the simplest of reasons:

It won't sell as much as the competition.

push the hardware at an affordable price and make money later because if the hardware doesn't sell, you're in the WiiU/PSVita stalemate where developers don't want to develop for a system that has a very narrow marketshare.

That's the thing though, after the reversal, their preorders are going up by a lot. Just recently preorders have pretty much stopped and that's because the day 1 editions are selling out. I honestly think they have nothing to worry about.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah that may be true but you aren't playing any new games on it so that is equal to an outdated PC

"Final Fantasy XI: Seekers of Adoulin", "PES 2013" and "Fifa 2013" are games released this year after 12 years on the market, 2 years ago the PS2 was still getting game releases so don't say that it didn't have a 10+ year lifespan because it clearly did.

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
"Final Fantasy XI: Seekers of Adoulin", "PES 2013" and "Fifa 2013" are games released this year after 12 years on the market, 2 years ago the PS2 was still getting game releases so don't say that it didn't have a 10+ year lifespan because it clearly did.

Because everyone brought those games right? I don't even know anyone who brought FFXI to begin with that was mainly a PC game. How many copies of PES or Fifa actually sold honestly lol

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Because everyone brought those games right? I don't even know anyone who brought FFXI to begin with that was mainly a PC game. How many copies of PES or Fifa actually sold honestly lol

Okay, the release list card got blown so you pull the sales card. I guess that just admitting the system kept selling and had some releases for 12 consecutive years is too much for you.

In any case, the PS3 has a planned 10-year lifespan, which means that it will still be on the market for the next 3 years. Microsoft has just released a new 360 revision to sell concurrently with the XBox One as a cheaper alternative system, so I'd wager it will also remain on the market for at least a couple more years. This means they will both go beyond the 10-year mark as I outlined earlier.

I don't think that WiiU/360/PS3 multiplatform titles for the next 2-3 years are an unlikely scenario at this point. Developers will continue making games for the 360 and the PS3 as they already have a large share of the market, unlike the PS4 or the XBox One which aren't even released yet. Companies won't magically switch to the PS4 and the XBox One the moment they're released - they'll support them once they build up their own slices of the market.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: see ya