Hardware Launching for $/€499 / £429? Are they serious?

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
But if they don't release any AAA games it is as good as dead to them if you want to play with the idea of PS2 still releasing games I can throw in a PC that is 400-500$ and still play games at 720p and have room to be crossfired still for 1080p with an easy 100$ GPU. Considering CoD/Halo/BF all ran under 720p

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But if they don't release any AAA games it is as good as dead to them if you want to play with the idea of PS2 still releasing games I can throw in a PC that is 400-500$ and still play games at 720p and have room to be crossfired still for 1080p with an easy 100$ GPU. Considering CoD/Halo/BF all ran under 720p

Please continue proving my point that buying a console is pretty much buying a guarantee that each and every game released for it will work perfectly fine out of the box wheras gaming on the PC requires additional upgrades until the motherboard standard becomes obsolete and all the components need to be replaced.

PC hardware renders better results in terms of specs and the software is cheaper however hardware-wise it's not cost-effective - consoles are the exact opposite, they have cost-effective hardware but more expensive software. It's always been like this, that's the whole point of having the division in the first place.

Reactions: McHaggis

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Please continue proving my point that buying a console is pretty much buying a guarantee that each and every game released for it will work perfectly fine out of the box wheras gaming on the PC requires additional upgrades until the motherboard standard becomes obsolete and all the components need to be replaced.

PC hardware renders better results in terms of specs and the software is cheaper however hardware-wise it's not cost-effective - consoles are the exact opposite, they have cost-effective hardware but more expensive software. It's always been like this, that's the whole point of having the division in the first place.

In the long run I see PCs as cheaper I don't have to worry about anything stopping me from playing certain games I want or limiting what I can do on it either.

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
...yeah, it's not like PC games are DRM-ridden or have those pesky Always Online solutions built-in. Oh, wait... :yay:

Let's just throw Xbox Live and PSN (for PS4) out the window too I guess right.... oh can't play online without those either. At least I don't have to pay extra for those. EA just got rid of all their Always Online so that statement is now invalid. DRM on which games? Yes you need them for Steam but Steam is what allows you to even buy new games to begin with.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Let's just throw Xbox Live and PSN (for PS4) out the window too I guess right.... oh can't play online without those either.
You can't play Steam games online without Steam unless you use a NoSteam crack - you can't play PSN/XBL games online without PSN/XBL unless you have a CFW console and use XLink Kai or other similar software. I'm also not talking about the Multiplayer portion of the game only - there are (were) games out there which will not work in Single Player mode without Internet access - remember the infamous cases of Diablo 3 or Sim City?

At least I don't have to pay extra for those. EA just got rid of all their Always Online so that statement is now invalid.
Because EA is the only game publisher in existence.

DRM on which games?
SecuROM rings a bell? Do you really require me to enumerate games with DRM built-in?

Yes you need them for Steam but Steam is what allows you to even buy new games to begin with.

It would seem that you've never been to a video game store. Y'know, the place where you pick up a game, pay for it at the counter, install it at home and play it? Or not, if it's DRM-ridden, in which case you need to jump through hoops in order to even play it?

That is, if your PC can pull it off. And if your current drivers support it. And if you have a quadrillion of libraries installed since those are necessary for its operation. And a number of other variables which are non-existant on a console.

You are really grasping at straws now.

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
You can't play Steam games online without Steam unless you use a NoSteam crack - you can't play PSN/XBL games online without PSN/XBL unless you have a CFW console and use XLink Kai or other similar software. I'm also not talking about the Multiplayer portion of the game only - there are (were) games out there which will not work in Single Player mode without Internet access - remember the infamous cases of Diablo 3 or Sim City?

Because EA is the only game publisher in existence.

SecuROM rings a bell? Do you really require me to enumerate games with DRM built-in?

It would seem that you've never been to a video game store. Y'know, the place where you pick up a game, pay for it at the counter, install it at home and play it? Or not, if it's DRM-ridden, in which case you need to jump through hoops in order to even play it?

That is, if your PC can pull it off. And if your current drivers support it. And if you have a quadrillion of libraries installed since those are necessary for its operation. And a number of other variables which are non-existant on a console.

You are really grasping at straws now.

I may be grasping at straws but you left out one thing your console can and will only be able to play games/movies (barely does even that) at the end of the day. Rather spend 400-500$ on something that can do games + other things then 400-500$ (+ Live/PSN) on a handful of exclusive games that are worth playing and eventually end up buying another console sooner or later since most gamers don't own just one console.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I may be grasping at straws but you left out one thing your console can and will only be able to play games/movies (barely does even that) at the end of the day. Rather spend 400-500$ on something that can do games + other things then 400-500$ (+ Live/PSN) on a handful of exclusive games that are worth playing and eventually end up buying another console sooner or later since most gamers don't own just one console.

Of course, that's entirely true. That's because a console's focus is entertainment wheras a personal computer's focus is overall computing. :)

As for the "most gamers don't own just one console", I'd love to see some statistics before you state that as fact - my girlfriend is the only person out of all the gamers I know in real life who owns more than just one gaming system - they all stick to one.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I agree with some things you said.

Of course, that's entirely true. That's because a console's focus is entertainment wheras a personal computer's focus is overall computing. :)

As for the "most gamers don't own just one console", I'd love to see some statistics before you state that as fact - my girlfriend is the only person out of all the gamers I know in real life who owns more than just one gaming system - they all stick to one.

However this I completly disagree. I tend to have multiple systems, always. Both handheld and normal.

I have owned NES, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2, PSP, NDS, N3DS, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360....you name it. I had to sell some of those due to financial help in order to buy new systems and games. Would that not be the case, I would still own all of those.

And i'm also saving for a PS Vita.

So yeah...never stuck with just one.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I agree with some things you said. However this I completly disagree. I tend to have multiple systems, always. Both handheld and normal.

I have owned NES, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2, PSP, NDS, N3DS, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360....you name it. I had to sell some of those due to financial help in order to buy new systems and games. Would that not be the case, I would still own all of those.

And i'm also saving for a PS Vita.

So yeah...never stuck with just one.

I too collect video game consoles, I have plenty but I realize that I'm in the minority. I'm talking about the majority there. The assumption was that "most gamers own more than just one console" and I find that debatable, "handheld" and "home" console division aside.

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
I usually have just 1 console and 1 handheld(with the exception of PS2/Game Cube/XBOX. I had all three). Even now, I have a 360 and a 3DS (Are they in the same gen? If not I also have a DS Lite which I don't use anymore)

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I too collect video game consoles, I have plenty but I realize that I'm in the minority. I'm talking about the majority there. The assumption was that "most gamers own more than just one console" and I find that debatable, "handheld" and "home" console division aside.

Ah, I see your point.

Yeah there's probably way more people with just gaming 1 system that multiple systems.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hey, um, can you change your profile picture please? Or at least change the text to something that's not quite offensive?

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, um, can you change your profile picture please? Or at least change the text to something that's not quite offensive?

There's this really cool feature that lets you send messages to members so you don't have to waste space by taking a thread off topic. It's call Private Messages (I think I've seen some people call it PM for short). You might not know about it because it's a fairly recent (circa last 30 years) creation. There's also a report button to contact a moderator. However, if profanity is something that offends you then an Internet community might not be the best place for you to hang out because barely anyone is likely to give a f―oh, that's right... you don't like that.

Ah, I see your point.

Yeah there's probably way more people with just gaming 1 system that multiple systems.
I tend to buy 2 home consoles per generation and, aside from my older brother who usually buys all of them, I'm the only person I know who does it. However, this might be the first generation where I don't, depending on whether the Wii U picks up or not. If it doesn't, I'm going to buy a PS4 because I think the XBox One is too expensive for what it is.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
micro$oft.gif

Whoa, this not only helped me realize that Microsoft is a company that seeks to make money (unlike every other company and corporation, which are run entirely as charities), but helped me evaluate my entire life as well. I will now forego all of my Earthly possessions to pursue inner peace in a monastic order.

Thanks a bunch!

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's this really cool feature that lets you send messages to members so you don't have to waste space by taking a thread off topic. It's call Private Messages (I think I've seen some people call it PM for short). You might not know about it because it's a fairly recent (circa last 30 years) creation. There's also a report button to contact a moderator. However, if profanity is something that offends you then an Internet community might not be the best place for you to hang out because barely anyone is likely to give a f―oh, that's right... you don't like that.

It just took me by surprise, that's all. I haven't seen many avatars with a curse word on it. I don't like it, but it's not worth quitting an internet forum on such a little deal. I guess if I have any more issues, I'll just send you a PM.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
While this is very much off topic, I'd recommend getting AdBlock or a similar program. If you find something offensive or annoying, you can just double click the image and add it to the "spam" filter. This did wonders on some of the .gif avatar before the Xenforo update. Previously it was possible to make an animated .gif your avatar and it was animated everywhere. While most were nice and even amusing, some people used blinking images and such.. Not cool IMO.

As for the current discussion regarding the price and it's "too high for a console, but gaming PCs are easily worth the extra $$", a console guarantees it'll play all games made for it. You have a launch Wii? It'll play all games released for the "Wii" console. Sure it won't play games for the "PS3", but that's beside the point. It'd be almost like saying you want to make toast with a blender: "They're both kitchen appliances!" A mid-high end gaming PC will cost you quite a few $$. A gaming console, not so much. Sure you'll have to get a TV or some other monitor, but most people already have one (any HDTV is pretty much acceptable). Sometimes I wonder if most people could get more out of a (modded in some cases) Wii than a high end PC or next gen console. The reason is relatively simple: they don't need/aren't willing to pay for better. A Super Mario Galaxy is just fine..

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While this is very much off topic, I'd recommend getting AdBlock or a similar program. If you find something offensive or annoying, you can just double click the image and add it to the "spam" filter. This did wonders on some of the .gif avatar before the Xenforo update. Previously it was possible to make an animated .gif your avatar and it was animated everywhere. While most were nice and even amusing, some people used blinking images and such.. Not cool IMO.
Okay, okay, I get it. I knew it was off topic but I was just surprised. Sorry about that. This won't happen again, though. And if I find something offensive or annoying, I'll just ignore it. This is the internet; you can do anything you want. Although it's advisable to follow the rules where they apply.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 229 steam games more than I thought