Hardware Launching for $/€499 / £429? Are they serious?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I said it a few weeks ago and ill say it again. E3 ends with a shock announcment from Sega. Hello Dreamcast 2 and then they go on to show Shenmue 3 in full 1080P glory, followed by trailers for a new Skies Of Arcadia, MMO Powerstone, a new HD Ready 2 Rumble, a new Daytona, a full 3D new Wonderboy game, throw in Alex Kidd as well and jobs a good 'un

Reactions: ThatDudeWithTheFood

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I said it a few weeks ago and ill say it again. E3 ends with a shock announcment from Sega. Hello Dreamcast 2 and then they go on to show Shenmue 3 in full 1080P glory, followed by trailers for a new Skies Of Arcadia, MMO Powerstone, a new HD Ready 2 Rumble, a new Daytona, a full 3D new Wonderboy game, throw in Alex Kidd as well and jobs a good 'un

I'm assuming you're not using PRISM if that's your inside scoop...

Reactions: Ray Lewis

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
...still better than the PS3's launch price... So I'm calling this "success"... ;O;

You're forgetting that the PS3's price included the somewhat novel ability to actually own the games you bought...(well most of them...)

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You're forgetting that the PS3's price included the somewhat novel ability to actually own the games you bought...(well most of them...)

...let's not defend PS3's launch price, it's pretty obvious that the console was over-engineered which caused the inflation of the price point beyond the reach of your average consumer. People wanted to buy a PS3 and they did the moment it was cheap enough to afford, and I hope Sony learned from that. ;)

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
...still better than the PS3's launch price... So I'm calling this "success"... ;O;

This was a triumph
I'm making my note here,
Huge Success.
Its hard to overstate my satisfaction

045da53c987f7b3fe459.png

Reactions: Gahars and Foxi4

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
...let's not defend PS3's launch price, it's pretty obvious that the console was over-engineered

I can't say that the pricing thrilled me, but as noted earlier the PS3 ended up being one of the cheaper methods of getting a Blu Ray player. We're just resistant to looking at a games console as anything else but a machine for playing games, but the PS3 was offering something more than that at the time it was launched.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the 3DO was revolutionary, it had FULL MOTION VIDEO AND 3D! :O (:P)

Yeah I wanted a 3DO so bad when they launched.... Being the cheap bastard that I am prevented me from throwing my money away.

Sometimes being cheap, can save you a lot of heart ache, and besides eventually the PS1 got Road Rash so I got to play it and love it!!!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I can't say that the pricing thrilled me, but as noted earlier the PS3 ended up being one of the cheaper methods of getting a Blu Ray player. We're just resistant to looking at a games console as anything else but a machine for playing games, but the PS3 was offering something more than that at the time it was launched.

I suppose that's one way to look at it, but do keep in mind that at that time, BluRay was not wide-spread and DVD was deemed "still perfectly fine" - it didn't have the same drive as DVD initially did since VCD and SVCD just weren't popular formats. DVD's revolutionized the home video industry, BluRay's improved upon it but just weren't "out there" yet, which is why people weren't in a hurry to get the PS3.

Lushay

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
How much did a blu ray drive cost in 2006? Bit of a silly comparison there.

Are you saying the blue ray drive is only reason why the PS3 launched at such a high cost? If the new XBone will cost 500 dollars with a blue ray player and all it's added gadgets in 2013, how much are you thinking the playstation 4 will cost?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/f8gq43e