Hardware Laptop shutting down automatically

naved.islam14

Gbatemp's Official Dark Knight™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
For the last several months, my laptop has been shutting down automatically when I played games (Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars, Star Craft 2, Spider-man 3 etc.). I think this is due to overheating because whenever it turn off the laptop is really hot. I would like to know what is exactly causing this problem and how to solve it.

(Sorry for a very long post
unsure.gif
)

naved.islam14

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sausage Head said:
Check your battery/charge it/replace it/play with the charging thing plugged-in.
And no, that was not a long post.
How do I check my battery? I already charged it to 100% (will try again the next day), Only when I learn how to check my battery and I find its faulty, when I play with the charging thing plugged in it shut downs even more and sorry when I was posting it, it looked big but after posting it it looked smaller.

gumphfy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, it's overheating. I'ts done to prevent any serious damage to your CPU.
I have had the same problem with my laptop. But a thorough cleaning of the vents and the fan helped a lot. But if you wanna go all the way. Replace the heat zink on the CPU.

A "quick fix" is to take you vacuum cleaner and hold it up to the fan. It'll suck out some dust and what-not.

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
gumphfy said:
Yup, it's overheating.

It looks like it, yes. But there are models/components without automatic shutdown, so we need details. There are other possibilities, too, e.g. battery related. Good notebooks do not overheat, they just get hot (if taken care of).

naved.islam14

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Strider said:
Model and details please
Laptop:

Acer ASPIRE 4740G
Intel Core i3 processor 330M (2.13GHZ, 3MB L3 cache)
NVIDIA GeForce 310M Up to 1279MB TurboCache
14.0" HD LED LCD
2 GB Memory
320 GB HDD
DVD-Super Multi DL drive
Acer Nplify 802.11b/g/n
6-cell Li-ion battery

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Have you had a look at your windows logs? Press the windows button, right click my computer -> manage, and there are all the logs. Look around the time it shut down. There might be a clear text hint as to why it shut down.

The Nvidia driver can also log GPU temperature as I recall, you might try that too.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can try doing some simple things

1) Check that the fans are running. A laptop like that can't be running on passive heatsinks. There must be a few fans trying to blow heat out. See where those vents are and ensure the fans are working.

2) You can try a few cheap ways to aleviate heat issues. I've got some postit notes holding up the 4 corners of my netbook to give it some heat dissipation. You might try that first. You can also get a laptop cooling station that will cool the laptop as well.

3) Monitor your CPU temp

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Should give you an idea if your CPU or GPU is melting into oblivion

Stewy12

Trophies
XP
Country
What do you have your laptop sat on? Even on a flat hard surface mine overheats so I got a Cooling Mat for it, I don't even plug it in but having it raised off the surface helps with the airflow and keeps it cool (ish).....

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Remove any dust / leftover which may block vents. The design of some notebooks allow to collect more shit/dust on heatsink/cpu fans, so that´s why you should at least clean them every 6 months.

Netbooks have all the parts soldered to motherboard, so most likely you´d have to take apart the lower protective case to do this. Notebooks have (most of them) a dedicated airflow vent, so removing some screws , then doing some cleaning to gpu/cpu heatsinks using a toothbrush will do

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if youre not scared, you can open the thing up and clean the heatsink. or take it to a professional. you would be surprised how much shit collects on there. ive seen it look like a hairball coughed up by a lion.

that junk blocks the airflow around the hot metal. its the same effect you get if you had a broken fan. no airflow = hotter components = computer turns itself off to avoid damage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up