Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
I recently noticed that there is a huge crack where my laptop's monitor joins the main body. I am really afraid now, that it might even fall off if I'm not careful. My warranty just expired a month ago. Does anyone here know where I can purchase laptop monitors? Thanks in advance.

Tigerstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't worry too much. In all the models of laptops I've ever taken apart (and it's quite a few), the screen is actually held in place with metal brackets bolted to the chassis (for both strength and grounding purposes), and cracks in the hinge covers, lid or case are rarely anything more than purely cosmetic, caused by the plastic failing under repeated flexings (habitually opening the lid by one corner instead of both is the usual cause). Unless you're loaded, I shouldn't let it bug you - model-specific replacement laptop screens are horrendously expensive, often almost as much as the laptops sell for used, unless you get lucky and find an imperfect used one (or just the screen shell). You could try contacting the manufacturer, but they will probably want to charge you for the repair.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this always happens
tongue.gif
you treat your things like crap, then you notice theres something wrong with it, and you treat it like its fragile
biggrin.gif
Dont worry, as mentioned, the monitor is bolted down (strong metal) so broken plastic wont do much except affect its appearance

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cant you find some sturdy sort of tape and fix it , you might still wanna call in and ask if they will repair it , i mean you can always try and see if they do it for free ... Ask for a price anyway , also if it is a decent laptop ask for extension of the warrenty if that is possible , once you break it it will be hard to replace ....

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Another cracked hinge!
laugh.gif

(I feel your pain, but it's still funny
wink.gif
)

this always happens
tongue.gif
you treat your things like crap, then you notice theres something wrong with it, and you treat it like its fragile
biggrin.gif
Of course I'll treat it like crap, swing it around, use it as a hard surface to write on, use it as a table, use it upside down, and use it as a PC, occasionally, if I must. If it can't take a little tumbling, it's not exactly a portable computer, it's just a desktop PC that's a little easier to get from one (work)place to another.
dry.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Of course I'll treat it like crap, swing it around, use it as a hard surface to write on, use it as a table, use it upside down, and use it as a PC, occasionally, if I must. If it can't take a little tumbling, it's not exactly a portable computer, it's just a desktop PC that's a little easier to get from one (work)place to another.Â
dry.gif
How could you?! *hugs her laptop to comfort it from crying at reading that*. The worst mine got was a few notebooks stood on top of it once or twice (and it still got a fried battery, dead backlight and an intermittent hardware-related crashing problem but that's heavy usage related than mistreatment)

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
One of my friend suggested to melt the plastic, but I thought it would make it look really ugly. I did mistreat it alot though. I use it as a table, a hard surface to write on, hell, I even brought it to bootcamp where I never found any time to use it.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
(and it still got a fried battery, dead backlight and an intermittent hardware-related crashing problem but that's heavy usage related than mistreatment)
Well, hard usage. I wasn't talking about mistreatment, mind you. You swing it around when you carry it around; you use it as a table whenever you need a hard surface to write on, and you can't find anyone whose back you can use for the purpose
wink.gif
; You use it upside down when you're working on it in bed. You can hardly call that mistreatment.

Yet, most laptops can't take even that. They require a hard flat surface to stand on, they mustn't be shaken or tilted during use, you can't run to catch a bus if you are carrying them, they break at the change of temperature. Literally.

I've had an IBM laptop since 1999., and it still works. I've used it in all the ways described, and it's still holding. Nowadays I use it to watch DVDs in bed (it's a Pentium 166, it can't do much more). I haven't mistreated it, as such, but I never had to watch over it like a hawk, lest it come to harm. I never had to act as if it was made of glass.

Oh well, I guess that's why it cost $4,200 back then, whereas modern laptops cost $1,000 or less.

Man, I'm old
rolleyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D