Lameboy and palettes

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by PJM, Sep 28, 2012.

Sep 28, 2012

Lameboy and palettes by PJM at 10:01 PM (1,065 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. PJM
    OP

Newcomer PJM Advanced Member

Canada
    I just ordered a Supercard DSTwo and want to put some GB ROMs on there for my kids. My kids (ages 5 and 7) don't really care about graphics, as they play many NES games on the Wii. I'm worried about the lack of color though. I know Lameboy can play GBC ROMs, and even color games with SGB support, but does it offer palette options for games that are strictly b&w?

I've also played with GBColorizer to hack colors into games, but only a few games are supported, and some have unexpected results.

Thanks in advance for your help :-)

2. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    it has been a while but I don't recall Lameboy having any proper palette support. Maybe just the choice between black and white or green and black.

3. Kikirini

Member Kikirini Zelda Fangirl

United States
    Hm. I seem to remember it adding full color to the black & white pokemon games, but that's all I know of.

4. EMP Knightmare

Member EMP Knightmare Fixing GBATemp's Feng Shui Engine (using Win XP)

United States
    Lameboy (to my knowledge) will only add color if color was added to the coding. Example would be Donkey Kong on Lameboy plays as it would in full color as if it were being played on a Super Gameboy. Games like Tetris (the one that came packaged with the original Gameboy) will only be in black and white or the classic spinach green color.

1 person likes this.
  5. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    Correct, and correct.

On a slightly unrelated note, I'm rather pissed that Donkey Kong has full color on lameboy, but the official 3DS virtual console release is only in black and white. -_-

1 person likes this.
  6. EMP Knightmare

United States
    Yeah I was pretty pissed off to, and there's no option to add it in which I think it should have been given as an option at least.

1 person likes this.
  7. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    It's too bad that not many gb emulators support the the bios that was dumped a while back

8. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    It really makes no sense at all, either! I mean, the full-color on that thing with the Super Game Boy (and the Game Boy Color, even though this was before it came out) was one of the reasons it was so impressive! Why'd they remove it? If they want to DISCOURAGE piracy and unofficial emulation, they're not doing a very good job. -_-

1 person likes this.
  9. EMP Knightmare

United States
    Funny enough Zelda DX has it's full color, but I do agree having the full color in Donkey Kong is what made it pop. Sadly I'm not so eager to play it as much as I would if it was in full color like it should be.