Hacking LAH Wii, IOS's, Downgrading, Boot 2

jackdanielchan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well as said in the title, my Wii died a week ago, and I bought a new Wii, the barcode said LAH***(*other numbers), I heard that LAH Wii's, are the Australian equivelant to a LU64 Wii, I believe this is true but can somebody please correct me on this... I have installed Homebrew Channel, downgraded IOS35, installed IOS35-64-v1040, and installed Bootmii as an IOS. Is there any possible way for me to be able to install Preloader, downgrade, and install Bootmii as Boot 2, I really don't want to do anything more to my Wii, because I can't backup my Wii's NAND using Bootmii as an IOS (No GC controllers...).

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Going by serial numbers isn't reliable at all to know what is an LU64 type Wii and what isn't. If you bought a new Wii this year, then treat it like an LU64 Wii regardless and don't do anything like that downgrading IOS35 you already seem to have done. If you bought one this year and downgrading something worked for you, good for you, but you basically just needlessly risked disabling your IOS35 or whatever you downgraded first possibly without any means of recovering it.

After downgrading IOS35 were you able to use IOS35 to install cios rev13a or something? If you were able to do that, then you most likely don't have an LU64+ type Wii. If you do have an LU64+ type Wii, you most likely just killed IOS35.

If the hackmii installer told you you can't install bootmii to boot2 and can only install as an IOS, then nothing you do will change that. That Wii cannot install bootmii to boot2 no matter what you do, downgrade or not.

I think you should at least still be able to install preloader by using the Trucha Bug Restorer to downgrade IOS15, then use IOS15 to install an IOS36 with the trucha bug to IOS36 then restore IOS15.

Then you should be able to install preloader. And if the IOS35 didn't work to install cIOS then if you do the above with the Trucha Bug Restorer, try running the cios rev13a installer again and use IOS36 this time and it should work. Apart from that there really isn't much anything else you should NEED to do to your Wii. The cIOS will be enough to run most anything you would need and preloader will give you enough brick protection from bad wad's and such. Any other brick can be avoided by not doing anything stupid.

You should have just used the trucha bug restorer to begin with instead of trying to downgrade IOS35. Downgrading that is no longer required and using the trucha bug restorer is an easier and safer process anyways.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not exactly sure on how it works myself, so no I can't really explain it. WiiPower could probably tell you better, but it has been tested to work on LU64 Wii's fine.

Here's a quote from the thread discussion on it:

WiiPower said:
Jacobeian said:
@WiiPower: I have a question on how you are able to downgrade IOS15 (why this one in particular by the way ?) on a "virgin" 4.0 ?

It seems that you are patching the TMD revision number directly in the NAND ( if I understood it well, when the system want to add a new title, the tmd is temporaly copied in the /tmp directory) then finish title installation as usual...

how is that possible ? doesn't the system verify the signature of the TMD in between ? Or is it a "bug" in the current ES module ?

The bugs are that you can delete the tmd when it's in the tmp folder even when you have ZERO rights on the file. And yes, there's no signature check on both finishing the installation and running the IOS.

This is exactly how comex' IOS35 downgrader works. But i downgrade IOS15, because i knew IOS16 works on boot2v4 Wiis. This is known to work even on virgin boot2v4 4.0 Wiis.

$uPeRJjS&#0

Trophies
XP
Country
nabster92 said:
I'm not exactly sure on how it works myself, so no I can't really explain it. WiiPower could probably tell you better, but it has been tested to work on LU64 Wii's fine.

Here's a quote from the thread discussion on it:

WiiPower said:
Jacobeian said:
@WiiPower: I have a question on how you are able to downgrade IOS15 (why this one in particular by the way ?) on a "virgin" 4.0 ?

It seems that you are patching the TMD revision number directly in the NAND ( if I understood it well, when the system want to add a new title, the tmd is temporaly copied in the /tmp directory) then finish title installation as usual...

how is that possible ? doesn't the system verify the signature of the TMD in between ? Or is it a "bug" in the current ES module ?

The bugs are that you can delete the tmd when it's in the tmp folder even when you have ZERO rights on the file. And yes, there's no signature check on both finishing the installation and running the IOS.

This is exactly how comex' IOS35 downgrader works. But i downgrade IOS15, because i knew IOS16 works on boot2v4 Wiis. This is known to work even on virgin boot2v4 4.0 Wiis.

A bit off topic sorry, but does boot2v3 act the same as Lu64 or boot2v4 what are the differences and does downgrading brick those type of wiis?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)