Lag in Libretro SNES

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by twisted_falconier, Aug 17, 2018.

1. twisted_falconier
    OP

twisted_falconier Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2018
    United States
    Trying out Chrono Trigger and Aero Fighters both give me a lot of lag/stuttering in both the audio and graphics.

I have enabled the L2 cache and Clock settings in Luma config

I am using the SNES9X 2010 core, what is the reson for having the other (older?) ones? Should I be using one of those instead?

I don't have a windows machine to run the software, but would trying to do VC injection work better? (can I even do that for SNES games??)

Last edited by twisted_falconier, Aug 17, 2018
  2. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    I haven't used Retroarch on the 3DS in a long time, but if it still has the pocketSNES cores, I would suggest those instead. The 3DS (both O3DS and N3DS) is an incredibly weak console, so that's why older cores with higher performance are offered, at the possible tradeoff of worse sound or compatibility (due to more inaccurate emulation).

3. twisted_falconier
    OP

twisted_falconier Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2018
    United States
    Yeah, I thought of that after I posted. Using the 2002 version (didn't see pocketSNES in the list of cores) works much better

daxtsu likes this.
  4. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Bubble's version of SNES9X is very efficient by using the 3DS GPU to draw some things and even runs well on o3DS, although sometimes you see some graphics errors in some games.

H1B1Esquire and daxtsu like this.
  5. twisted_falconier
    OP

twisted_falconier Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2018
    United States
    Found it in the Homebr3w browser, I guess it's not available as a core for libretro

6. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    Second using @ bubble2k16 's SNES9X, if you have problems with libSNES; the update has compatibility for Tengai Makyou Zero.

7. twisted_falconier
    OP

twisted_falconier Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2018
    United States
    If I install it from Hombr3w does it get the version that has full support for the n3ds hardware?

8. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    This might open a world for you:

https://titledb.com

You can QR install stuff.

9. twisted_falconier
    OP

twisted_falconier Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2018
    United States
    Yeah, I use that too, but the Homebr3w app allows me to see what needs updating and do it there

10. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.

I think they share the same stuff, so if it's updated there it's updated over there, too. I like the PC-side because of multi-tabbing. Life.

Either way, try it out, see if you like it. Thank @ bubble2k16 when it becomes your go-to SNES emu on 3DS.

11. twisted_falconier
    OP

twisted_falconier Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2018
    United States
    Yeah, it is definately better, thanks for the tip

H1B1Esquire likes this.