Lag, audio problems, freezing, etc

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by MisterKilroy, Mar 14, 2010.

Mar 14, 2010
  1. MisterKilroy
    OP

Newcomer MisterKilroy Newbie

United States
    So. Acekard 2i finally came in. I tried it out yesterday (without formatting) using a 1gb Kingston microSD that was sitting around and everything worked like a dream. No lag, audio was fine, and HG even loaded. Seeing that the cart worked fine, I went out and grabbed a Sandisk 4gb microSDHC and formatted it to FAT32 with the Panasonic formatter. Most games work pretty well, but I'm having some pretty annoying issues in others. From the games I've tried, there's in-game lag in Platinum and Phoenix Wright that wasn't there on the other card, HG won't load (though, as I see, that's a common problem), and Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass both freeze during cutscenes (intro in PH, princess meeting in ST--though I can't confirm that those worked on the other card) plus some audio issues throughout.

So. Is there a way to work around these problems with the 4gb card or will I just have to limit myself to less storage for better performance?

2. Sinistral89

Member Sinistral89 GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    There shouldn't be a problem with the space. I have a 4 gigabyte SDHC Transcend and it works like magic. Dunno why you are having a problem. It may be that you have a low class card. I have a class 6.

3. MisterKilroy
    OP

United States
    Oh, damn. I suppose I could've read the packaging a bit better. The large "5" is for the 5-year warranty...not the class. A bit more obscured, turns out it's a class 2. So. Where might one obtain an affordable card that's a bit better than the best Walmart had to offer?

Would that fix the freezing in the LoZ games, though? Updating AKAIO fixed HG, though it worked with the older version on the other card.

4. jak larnak

Member jak larnak GBAtemp Regular

France
    I use a Kingston 8Go class 4 and it works just great.

5. scrtmstr

Member scrtmstr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    If you've got a class 2 card, you'll have slowdowns in some games.
    I'd say class 4 is the minimum, i've got a class 4 kingston and it works like a charm

6. MisterKilroy
    OP

United States
    Update: A faster card does, indeed, fix the freezing issues. So I suppose a class 6 it is. Class 4 does the job judging from these replies, but if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

Thanks again for the answers! Problem solved.

7. HoTsHoT89

Member HoTsHoT89 GBAtemp Regular

Malaysia
    You guys really have it all wrong.

The Class rating only applies to the write speeds of the card, not the read speed which you guys should be more concerned of. A higher class does not necessarily imply faster read speeds as well.

Read it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digita...d_Class_Ratings