Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I got a Beatmania controller, Tatakon (Taiko Drum Master controller) for PS2.
Hooked up to PS3 via an adapter, launched Taiko Drum Master.

"Press PS button"

Well, shit. There's no PS button on tatakon. Tried every button, buncha combinations of buttons, holding START for 2 minutes (not literally), all failed.

And yet us.playstation.com backwards compatibility list says
"No major problem with this game."

So.. Uh.. No controller recognition is not a problem? What, I have to use Dualshock 3 to play Taiko?

I'm so mad. Like, I haven't been this much pissed in the last 9 years or so.

Was it really hard to add a PS2 controller slot on PS3, when even compact sized Wii has gamecube controller slots?

The game itself runs smoothly and looks good. But if I wanted to play Taiko with buttons I'd play the PSP version which even has DLC, instead of looking like a nerd playing a Taiko game with Dualshock 3 listening to Jackson 5's ABC.

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
reym said:
try pressing the "ps button" on the normal ps3 controller when the game ask to press, then try playing the game with the Taiko Drum Master controller

This would have been the first thing I would have tried to be honest.

deathfisaro

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Tried that as well. When I press the PS button, my sixaxis/DS3 gets recognized. I go to main menu, there I can see if another controller is getting recognized at the bottom of the screen.
Yet, pressing everything/anything on tatakon is just sitting ducks.

I even tried hooking up sixaxis via charge cable and then swapping taiko controller into that same slot. Turning off PS3 controller and re-connecting tatakon still no luck.

Even asked around gamefaqs PS3 board. Looks like PS2 controllers without "analog" button nor "home/ps" button have no way of activating on PS3.

I got a couple offers from craigslist and hopefully gonna buy a PS2 tonight. Considering I've spent nearly $200 on Tatakon/bemani con, those two PS2 games, adapters, and shipping, $35~40 more isn't too much.

If a firmware update in near future fixes this, I would be madly pissed
tongue.gif

Sc4rFac3d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
deathfisaro said:
Thanks Bob, but
QUOTE said:
Less surprisingly, special controllers for games like Taiko: Drum Master and BeatMania didn't work with the Pelican adapter

I'm buying a PS2 tomorrow. An extra $35 I can live with.
35 bucks? Thats pretty cheap! If that doesn't work out, there's supposedly an adapter that works with special controllers. Forgot the name though.
frown.gif

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Nah ps2 port would be awesomely useless when only half of the ps3's even play ps2 games. Also even if you would have ps2 port, that doesnt magically generate you a home button in the ps2 controller. : ppppppppp

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
If the problem is the PS3 recognizing the PS3 controller as player one opposed to the Drum set, why don't you just hit the PS button again in gameplay and switch it to port 2? Seriously, I would try EVERYTHING before shelling out more cash.

deathfisaro

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
michaelf said:
How would adding a PS2 controller port solve the problem? You still wouldn't have a PS button.
The reason PS3 doesn't recognize PS2 controllers are because they are hooked up by adapters to fit USB ports. Because there are too many things that use USB ports, PS3 can't tell if it's an accessory or a PS2 controller w/adapter.
Pressing the PS button (or analog button of PS2 controllers when using adapters) is to send a signal saying "the thing that's connected to your USB port is a PlayStation controller"

If PS3 had a PS2 controller port, PS3 wouldn't be so confused about what's connected to that port.

QUOTE(Apexx @ Jul 17 2008, 04:21 PM) If the problem is the PS3 recognizing the PS3 controller as player one opposed to the Drum set, why don't you just hit the PS button again in gameplay and switch it to port 2? Seriously, I would try EVERYTHING before shelling out more cash.
Tried that. I've spent an hour trying several dozen crazy things that I can think of.

An hour is a very long time, I had a Dualshock 3, two SIXAXIS controllers, a PSP w/USB connection, USB keyboard and mouse, a wired 360 controller, and a wireless 360 controller w/USB cable lying around when I concluded it can't be done.

I don't wanna argue with anybody, but if Sony bothered inserting an EE chip on 60GB (also 20GB) PS3 and they approved of PS2 rhythm game controllers (like Guitar controller, DDR mat, Tatakon, Bemani controller, Drummania controller, and whatever else), omitting a PS2 port isn't an ideal design.

I feel cheated mainly because us.playstation.com backwards compatibility list said "No major problem". And just to find a major problem associated with it.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I guess it just means there's no problem with the system playing the game itself but hooking the controller up is another story
tongue.gif
haha

deathfisaro

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Bob Loblaw said:
I guess it just means there's no problem with the system playing the game itself but hooking the controller up is another story
tongue.gif
haha

Yeah... The games run well.

No major problem "running" the game. Major problem "playing" the game
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sorry I sat on them when they were open
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So that version is semi rare