L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by bylaws, Apr 28, 2019.

1. LilBroomstick

LilBroomstick Newbie

Newcomer
    May 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    When i overclock to 2.0ghz ubuntu runs even slower, before the overclocking, dolphin ran at 15-50fps, after overclocking to 2.0 it runs at 2fps, even at the strap screen (i was testing out nsmbwii)

Last edited by LilBroomstick, May 20, 2019
  2. Snomannen_kalle

Snomannen_kalle GBAtemp Regular

Sep 2, 2018
    Norway
    The OP tells you to delete the boot folder and boot.src when you install the 1.2 update; if I recall correctly, that file and folder are the only files in the v1.1 update. So no, you probably don't need to install both, only the latest

3. Deathscreton

Deathscreton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    Ubuntu on the Switch just seems slow overall. It would take seconds to get things to load, using RDP was insanely unstable and wouldn't stay connected, opening windows meant sitting there for 30 seconds just waiting for things to open up. Got this issue on multiple SD cards (or at least the ones that would properly boot).

4. LilBroomstick

LilBroomstick Newbie

Newcomer
    May 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    so is it bc of the sd card? I've seen people who can emulate wii games (for example mario kart wii) at 60fps

5. Akira

Akira I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!

Apr 28, 2013
    United States
    my chromium browser icon looks like a text file and if i open it, it opens gedit, can anyone help me how to fix it? i want to browser the internet

6. LilBroomstick

LilBroomstick Newbie

Newcomer
    May 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    Try downloading firefox (you can do this via the terminal) there are tutorials on how to do it on the internet, its very easy!

7. Akira

Akira I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!

Apr 28, 2013
    United States
    It also freezes on me too. Should i just use wireless mouse or something?

8. LilBroomstick

LilBroomstick Newbie

Newcomer
    May 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    Idk it worked perfectly with firefox on my switch, idk if a wireless mouse would work. btw if you want to use a mouse use the joycons you can connect them with bluetooth

9. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    Where's the option to have the screen on while docked?

10. CalcProgrammer1

CalcProgrammer1 Member

Newcomer
    May 4, 2019
    United States
    You can install nvidia-settings and enable the built in display while docked through the display configuration. You can use the internal display and external display simultaneously just like on a regular PC. I have a 3rd party dock stand that angles the screen up for use rather than hiding the screen, works great for dual screen mode.

11. Gavin_Darkglider

Gavin_Darkglider GBAtemp Regular

May 20, 2019
    United States
    This is handled by udev, which detects the state of the dock connection, then calls a script called dock-handler. the easiest way to change this would be to modify the dock-handler script that is supplied with L4T-ubuntu, so that when you are on the dock, it doesnt turn off the screen, and then extends the screen to the HDMI port. Look into xrandr command for details on how to script what you want into the pre-existing script. This is a better option than Nvidia-settings, as this will be automatic the moment you drop it on the dock, where Nvidia-settings you will have to set this up each time you want to extend the screen on the dock, as UDEV will cancel out nvidia-settings.

Last edited by Gavin_Darkglider, May 20, 2019
  12. Milenko

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    Yeah I have a USB C extension cable coming so I can dock it and see the screen

13. uyjulian

uyjulian Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    It's more reliable to dock on the connector directly as you will have random graphical glitches

You can take the PCB and USB-C ribbon out of the dock

14. Milenko

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    Any tips how to do this?

15. romain337

romain337 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2016
    France
    Paris
    You may need nano, or gedit... and patience to experiment. Share your result, or your config. I need it too. thanks.

16. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Just for the lazy: Is there a way to do this without formatting the SD card and having to copy everything from my FAT32 partition to the PC first and back to SD card afterwards?
    Like just resizing my FAT32 partition, adding an EXT4 (or whatever needed) and put the files from the IMG there?

17. Snomannen_kalle

Snomannen_kalle GBAtemp Regular

Sep 2, 2018
    Norway
    I think someone installed it like that earlier in the thread, so it should work

lordelan likes this.
  18. Milenko

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings

There's an option to rotate the screen so you can have the usb c cord coming out of the top of the switch

Carlos_DobleC likes this.
  19. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    Anyone else having the time of their lives with the touch screen? It seems like my hacked Switch (both have screen protectors, btw) is having a very hard time with navigating and using Ubuntu via touchscreen. Is everyone using USB-A to USB-C hubs with some converter to use a M/KB to navigate through this right now? Because I'm trying to pair my Joy-Cons and the touchscreen is doing nothing right now. I haven't installed any of the updates yet as I'm just trying to do the initial setup here before I get into the nitty gritty.

20. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    lol, gotta have a second look on those 64 pages then. :D

Budsixz likes this.