RELEASE L4T Lakka Switch - now with audio and Vulkan

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by natinusala, May 15, 2019.

1. Jackson98

Jackson98 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    Vulkan for PS1 and glcore for N64

Unless their are specific games you want to play on the N64, I might suggest going back to the older build of Lakka. The current Lakka build stutters quite a bit for Mupen64plus. The games it fixes are great though like Yoshi's Story and I think Mischief Makers runs a litter smoother. But many other games are considerably worse and as mentioned above, it seems Hardware Per Pixel lighting is busted and so is Zelda the Ocarina of time(both worked well in the May 15 build). With any luck in future builds of lakka their will be 2 cores of Mupen64plus running with 2 different Plugins, or even better a game options setting to switch the plugin. I think Hardware rendering cores isn't working correctly to some degree in the latest build.
    I have tested fairly thoroughly GPU overclocking of certain Dolphin games after upscaling the resolution to give a nicer aesthetic look, Mario sunshine for example runs full speed at normal resolution with the right settings. However if you increase the EFB Scale to X2 resolution, you drop about 2-3 FPS. In the last build overclocking the GPU to around say 460, would put you back to full speed in game(as it should do considering the FPS drop is to a visual boost). Currently going past 768(stock GPU) to the maximum doesn't increase the game speed at all. The bonus is though BBox and Safe texture cache options are now available for gamecube, which fix a few games including Megaman X1 and Paper Mario.
    For PS1 emulation I would highly suggest trying Beetle over Pcsx Rearmed, the reason being you have the option to change Beetle clock speed& also make the games look sharper by increasing the resolution.
    Feel free to try the Ps2 Play! core aswell and let me know if you get any game working :)(although I think it is broken at this stage, quite a few people have tried several games and no reports of anything running).

Last edited by Jackson98, Aug 1, 2019
    MartianMSK likes this.
  2. Fenderbendr

Fenderbendr Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2019
    United States
    Ok, got it. I've actually been able to get a lot of N64 games running well, but the two games I want to get working(Mario Golf and Tennis) are not working well at all, even on the previous Lakka builds. What settings should I try to increase performance on those games?

Also, I really want to get Gran Turismo 2 and Crash Bash running well, but they run at fairly low FPS in Beetle and in Pcsx and GT2 has some bad audio stuttering. Are there any setting in particular that I could try to get better performance out of them? I'm not really sure what the clock speed does, so I haven't messed with that much.

3. Jackson98

Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    In Beetle, disable dithering and try lowering the emulated clock speed. Lowering the Beetle CPU will help gain FPS but it sometimes comes at a price- like the character movement is a little more jerky etc(often it is not noticeable). The best things you can try to increase FPS in Mupen64 are,
    RDRAM settings to A-sync or off, try set Emulation Buffer to False and make sure your V-sync in Video settings is either set to Adaptive or Off. If you can't get either running perfectly then just up your CPU a little bit to 1200.

Last edited by Jackson98, Aug 1, 2019
    MartianMSK likes this.
  4. Fenderbendr

Fenderbendr Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2019
    United States
    Cool, I'll try those settings. Thanks

I'm also gonna downgrade to the previous version too, since you said that the performance is better and since I don't care about Yoshis Island running well.

Edit: Also, any tips on getting better performance on GC games?

Last edited by Fenderbendr, Aug 1, 2019
  5. username23bob

username23bob GBAtemp Regular

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    what’s the best settings for gamecube and wii games? i tried super paper mario (stops at beginning cutscene) and skyward sword to no avail

6. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    I don't think very many Wii games work no matter what settings you use.

username23bob likes this.
  7. username23bob

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    aw ok, that’s too bad :/ but thanks for the quick reply

8. Jackson98

Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    Main thing is change the emulated clock speed, but you can try experimenting with other settings aswell. Then of course I would bump your CPU to around Max performance. For most GC games it should be enough.

For Super Paper Mario I think you need to enable BBOX in the options. One of the things that got added in the latest build which fixes a few games ;).

New Super Mario Bros Wii will go at full speed(1768cpu), and so does Klonoa(requires maximum CPU
    & requires vsync off. For some reason Mario Bros works better with GL/GLcore as your main driver over Vulkan).

username23bob likes this.
  9. Shaneus

Shaneus Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2006
    Australia
    Geometry Wars Galaxies works great with Dolphin, as does the Mad Dog McCree collection. Hardly graphics intensive though, lol

PS .I'm downgrading too, not enough in this newer version to make up for the lack in performance, especially in my own compiled Genesis Plus GX core .

10. ViewtifulM

ViewtifulM Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    Recommended settings for running Rogue Leader in Dolphin?

11. Skirlez

Skirlez GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2018
    Israel
    You need the dreamcast BIOS; read about it in the original post.

12. username23bob

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    i enabled bounding box and it still locks up when the main antag. first appears. i’m using vulkan, but should i use another driver?

13. sorabora

sorabora GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2016
    United States
    I tried this at your suggestions, earlier, but performance was utterly brutal. Just brutal. I tried various options, as you suggest, but nothing helped.

Any ideas? I'd love to increase resolution by even 2x, as you can with Mupen and PPSSPP. Thanks!

14. Shaneus

Shaneus Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2006
    Australia
    I upgraded from a previous version of Lakka, so I already had the DC BIOS. It was the same folder structure as before, I only removed the retroarch.cfg file prior to updating so the BIOS was (and still is) in the same location. Worked before upgrade, but not after.

I've rolled back anyway, so it's a moot point. I still have the main thing I wanted out of the new one, which was a compiled MAME2010 core.

Not trying to discourage Nat's progress on Lakka though, it's still immensely appreciated! I'd just like to know why performance seems to have dropped, along with a few audio glitches.

PS. I'm happy to give Nat the Genesis Plus GX core I compiled myself if you like, it seems to run better on the initial release than the included one in the new release :)

15. Jackson98

Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    What game are you trying?? Also make sure to have threaded video enabled under video settings. This will make a large difference.

Edit: After a little more testing can confirm Dolphin does work better considering the extra options. The GPU does work correctly, for some reason I had to disable and reenable certain saved options settings, and then the FPS went up. N64 and Genesis emulation more games do do seem to stutter however.

Last edited by Jackson98, Aug 3, 2019
  16. Nuja

Nuja Member

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2007
    France
    Hi,
    Im on the last version of L4T and I am not able to play conker.
    Everytime I launch it, it crash back to L4T when im about to see the n64 get cut in half. Other games run fine.

Any idea ? Any website with settings ?

17. Jackson98

Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    Use the previous version, the current lakka has too many bugs. I think DC/Genesis/N64 all perform worse. Unless you want to play Yoshi's Story only install the last lakka.

Nuja likes this.
  18. Nuja

Nuja Member

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2007
    France
    That was it, thank you :)

19. enderer

enderer GBAtemp Regular

Jul 19, 2015
    United States
    where do i put playstation bios? i know it's somewhere in 'system' but that's as far as i got.

EDIT: it just goes loose in '\lakka\storage\system\'

Last edited by enderer, Aug 5, 2019
  20. Basketto

Basketto GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2019
    Australia
    If you find the Directories setting in lakka you can set the folder, sometimes you need to do this to get the bios to read.

oBluEx and enderer like this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted