Hacking ktemkin drama

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's about time. It turned into a dick measuring contest in there. "We care more. We care about privacy." *keeps the server unlocked so the onslaught can continue*
The caring about privacy part was about the select quoting from private conversations. When people said they should dump the whole conversation and not only the parts that support their side, they also claimed privacy issues.
Privacy is important and we have no right to their private conversations, but then you can't go and selectively post quotes. That's not how this works.

Reactions: Kioku

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The caring about privacy part was about the select quoting from private conversations. When people said they should dump the whole conversation and not only the parts that support their side, they also claimed privacy issues.
Privacy is important and we have no right to their private conversations, but then you can't go and selectively post quotes. That's not how this works.
That's not my point. Privacy should have been upheld from the beginning, but it didn't. It should have been upheld when the riots and flames started, but it didn't. It should have been upheld WAY before Kate started receiving the backlash, before Scries crawled into his corner, but it didn't. Now it's a back and forth between people about OTHER PEOPLE AND THEIR DISCUSSIONS, and how they "care more" or how "privacy is important", or how "I WANNA PROTECT HER PRIVACY". Fuck off with that hypocritical oath bullshit. They had plenty of chances and they let that shit spiral out of control.

What matters is privacy, but none of them are dedicated to doing what they can to protect it. They instead used it as a tool, and now what good has it done them? It's bound to put someone unnecessarily in harm's way, damage MULTIPLE people's reputation and nearly rip apart a well loved community of high tier coders and reverse engineers. This whole thing STINKS of bull.

Last edited by Deathscreton,
Reactions: Kioku

mowsie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's just an outlet for the ongoing battle. If not the temp, then reddit, or 4chan etc...

Hell, it's much better now that we've got more mods.

It's no better than it was 5 years ago

EDIT: The problem isn't the mods, it's the "members" of the so-called "community". I'd be ashamed to identify as one.

Last edited by mowsie,
Reactions: ZanderX420

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's not my point. Privacy should have been upheld from the beginning, but it didn't. It should have been upheld when the riots and flames started, but it didn't. It should have been upheld WAY before Kate started receiving the backlash, before Scries crawled into his corner, but it didn't. Now it's a back and forth between people about OTHER PEOPLE AND THEIR DISCUSSIONS, and how they "care more" or how "privacy is important", or how "I WANNA PROTECT HER PRIVACY". Fuck off with that hypocritical oath bullshit. They had plenty of chances and they let that shit spiral out of control.

What matters is privacy, but none of them are dedicated to doing what they can to protect it. They instead used it as a tool, and now what good has it done them? It's bound to put someone unnecessarily in harm's way, damage MULTIPLE people's reputation and nearly rip apart a well loved community of high tier coders and reverse engineers. This whole thing STINKS of bull.
They told people what happened, because if they hadn't, people would've speculated even more, like they did in this very thread. There was no perfect way to do this, but maybe a better way, I give you that.

I think everybody can agree with me when I say that ktemkin didn't do anything wrong in her mind she was just letting NVIDIA/Nintendo know about the bug. I woulda done the same thing if i was in her position.
She used it as an example of bad implementation in a presentation for which I bet she got a consulting fee for. But I also think she didn't do it out of malice or greed. According to her, that bug was already known to them.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They told people what happened, because if they hadn't, people would've speculated even more, like they did in this very thread. There was no perfect way to do this, but maybe a better way, I give you that.

The *proper* way to have done this would have been to not do it at all. Keep it internal, as it should have been. Kate would have been free to go her own way, and no one would have been the wiser. Now we've got fifty different theories, two hurt people and a team that's bound together by glue sticks.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It's no better than it was 5 years ago

EDIT: The problem isn't the mods, it's the "members" of the so-called "community". I'd be ashamed to identify as one.
I'm saying the housekeeping. The sheer amount of toxicity has increased with the subsequent increase of members. It's to be expected.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The *proper* way to have done this would have been to not do it at all. Keep it internal, as it should have been. Kate would have been free to go her own way, and no one would have been the wiser. Now we've got fifty different theories, two hurt people and a team that's bound together by glue sticks.
That doesn't work. She had a big part in that community, people would've asked questions and indulged in baseless speculation anyways. And she would've told her story on twitter or where ever, as is her right.

They will keep on doing what they want to do with their free time and we may or may not get something nice from them if they choose to share it. And it looks like they will.

NightStorm1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
And this is how Atmosphere dies. I knew it. Some Drama would happen and the whole Project Breaks apart.

I felt that situation. I happend to me on many Projects.

Reactions: mowsie

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't work. She had a big part in that community, people would've asked questions and indulged in baseless speculation anyways. And she would've told her story on twitter or where ever, as is her right.

They will keep on doing what they want to do with their free time and we may or may not get something nice from them if they choose to share it. And it looks like they will.
No, it would have worked just fine. Remember the first time? She removed her role and people thought she left. Most were completely fine. Sure, some asked questions, but there were no harassment messages (to the extent that there are now), no falling apart teams, nothing like that. Just a single thread that maybe went up 10-15 pages. Kate could have easily explained her exit as "Necessary for her to focus on her life", she doesn't have to tell people shit, and I can almost guarantee everyone would have been okay with that.

mowsie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any one know if sciresM will continue to develop atmosphere or is it pretty much not happening?

I'm purely speculating here but I would assume it's dead until someone else picks it up. Scires is.. well, he strikes me as that sort of dev. I work with far too many of them, and they're all pretty touchy. Reminds me of two people I worked in the PSP-1000 scene with who didn't like the splash screen in our homebrew and destroyed the project because they couldn't agree on some stupid ass hex colors.

And this is how Atmosphere dies. I knew it. Some Drama would happen and the whole Project Breaks apart.

This.

EDIT: He does say he will continue to work on it but that means little to nothing

Last edited by mowsie,
Reactions: ZanderX420

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

No, it would have worked just fine. Remember the first time? She removed her role and people thought she left. Most were completely fine. Sure, some asked questions, but there were no harassment messages (to the extent that there are now), no falling apart teams, nothing like that. Just a single thread that maybe went up 10-15 pages. Kate could have easily explained her exit as "Necessary for her to focus on her life", she doesn't have to tell people shit, and I can almost guarantee everyone would have been okay with that.
What are you even talking about, the team isn't falling apart. Look at the commit log on github, the top contributors are all still there.

And what you're suggesting would've required them agreeing with each other, which they don't. ktemkin told her side and so did SciresM. It was ugly, but probably inevitable. I just hate that some d-bags feel the need to harass her on twitter over it while not knowing the whole story.

Last edited by Uwabami,

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are you even talking about, the team isn't falling apart. Look at the commit log on github, the top contributors are all still there.

And what you're suggesting would've required them agreeing with each other, which they don't. ktemkin told her side and so did SciresM. It was ugly, but probably inevitable. I just hate that some d-bags feel the need to harass her on twitter over it while not knowing the whole story.
Functioning adults talk shit out like, oh I don't know, adults? Kate fucked up, yes, she shouldn't have, she should have TALKED IT OUT. Scires fucked up, he shouldn't have, HE SHOULD HAVE TALKED IT OUT. Whether they agree or not doesn't matter. It didn't have to be ugly and everyone could have had their privacy protected.

As for the team falling part, I consider MULTIPLE key members leaving the team as falling apart. No one on the team fully trusts one another, no one fully agrees with one another. Top contributors or not.

snoofly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Man, just read the latest discord since the current lock down (again).
If the chat logs (edited for sensitivity reasons) do get posted and we see the actual facts behind this drama, as SciresM was keen to with Kate’s approval, before seemingly backtracking due to privacy concerns.... I reckon we won’t have even seen the beginning of the shitstorm that will issue forth.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That sick boy yo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was hoping I could add a custom ROM to this fire HD 10 tablet but guess no one's made twrp available
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Root it? Lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That shit is so locked down, tighter than a nun's ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know if that's even possible for the firmware
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can remove the bloat ware and ads easily but can't install a rom
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig...