Korean Xbox my dad got me as a kid

darth_pheonix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my dad was in the military when the original Xbox came out and he came home from being stationed in Korea with an Xbox that was modded. I just came across it while visiting my parents house recently and would like to update the dashboard on it, but every time I load up Rocky5's extras disk and use the update old softmod feature (as I'm unsure if it is softmodded or has a modchip installed) it locks up at the extracting portion of the update. Should I open it up to see if it is modchipped, and if so would that affect updating the dashboard that's on it? I don't want to uninstall and reinstall it as I have installed quite a few games on it that I do not want to lose to a factory reset.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Have you got FTP access on it? If yes, dump the C drive for me if you want.

If you got FTP access, you could FTP a freshly hacked C drive to the Xbox.
Theoretically it should work, shouldn't be any differences.

Reactions: KiiWii

darth_pheonix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So would it being modchipped cause a problem? I haven't opened it up yet, as I'm FTPing the games over to my computer right now, and unfortunately I don't have a freshly hacked C drive files to just FTP over to it. I'd also like to look to see what size HDD is in there as I have a larger one I'd like to put in eventually.

darth_pheonix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
20190503_083621.jpg
So it's looking like I have a modchip in this xbox, I believe it's an Aladdin Advanced, so I'm not sure what to do next. I've done a little research and apparently I can update the bios on it, but that doesn't tell me if I can update the unleash x dashboard that's currently on there.

**Edit** there is a switch soldered to it with the orange wires, not sure which way is on and which way is off, I assume down is on as it's a three pronged switch and wires are attached to the bottom two and nothing is soldered to the top one. Correct or incorrect?

Last edited by darth_pheonix,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can switch out the harddrive, the chip will allow booting from CD.
Use Slayers CD to prepare it and install UnleashX.

No need to update anything.
Afaik, booting via the Eject shuts the chip off.

darth_pheonix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can switch out the harddrive, the chip will allow booting from CD.
Use Slayers CD to prepare it and install UnleashX.

No need to update anything.
Afaik, booting via the Eject shuts the chip off.

It's not soldered to the eject button, it's soldered to this switch on the side of the Xbox which is my confusion haha.
20190503_085642[1].jpg

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So my dad was in the military when the original Xbox came out and he came home from being stationed in Korea with an Xbox that was modded. I just came across it while visiting my parents house recently and would like to update the dashboard on it, but every time I load up Rocky5's extras disk and use the update old softmod feature (as I'm unsure if it is softmodded or has a modchip installed) it locks up at the extracting portion of the update. Should I open it up to see if it is modchipped, and if so would that affect updating the dashboard that's on it? I don't want to uninstall and reinstall it as I have installed quite a few games on it that I do not want to lose to a factory reset.
Sounds like a standard SPDT switch (single pole, dual throw), that means one input switched between two outputs. So yes, whatever is connected to the two bottom pins will be bridged when the switch is in the bottom position. In the top position the middle and top pin will be bridged but since there's nothing connected to the top pin it effectively means the switch is off.
It's not soldered to the eject button, it's soldered to this switch on the side of the Xbox which is my confusion haha.
View attachment 165812
I guess having an on/off toggle switch for the modchip could be useful.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'd say flick the switch and boot it.
Chip BIOS is 9/10 times always different from the stock one.

Edit: that way you can figure out the state of it.
Once it's active, proceed with upgrading the HDD

darth_pheonix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have successfully upgraded my HDD, but the only problem is it doesn't boot to the unleashx dashboard, it boots to the original dashboard and I have been using the HeXen 2018 disk to boot into the unleashx dashboard. Is there a way to fix this so that when I start up the xbox it boots to the unleashx dash?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can resoftmod it if it boots to the original dash with the new harddrive.
Pop in an exploitable game (backup or original) and load a hacked save.

darth_pheonix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can resoftmod it if it boots to the original dash with the new harddrive.
Pop in an exploitable game (backup or original) and load a hacked save.
I'll see if that helps.

could you share a picture with us?
A picture of what specifically? I'm currently FTPing my library back over to the new harddrive right now, but when it's done I'll post a picture of whatever it is you're wanting.

**EDIT** So I tried the resoftmod method and now it just boots to a black screen after the xbox logo.

Last edited by darth_pheonix,
D

Deleted User

I'll see if that helps.

A picture of what specifically? I'm currently FTPing my library back over to the new harddrive right now, but when it's done I'll post a picture of whatever it is you're wanting.

**EDIT** So I tried the resoftmod method and now it just boots to a black screen after the xbox logo.
a pic of the xbox console you have

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: sigh