Hacking Kirby's Epic Yarn, DKC Returns, Zelda Skyward Sword, etc

jceggbert5

Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.
OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
This is a topic for everyone to discuss what type of, and workarounds for, the AP that I'm sure most to all of the e3-announced titles will have.

How hard will they be on USB loaders?
Did they find a workaround for Pre/Priiloader's Skip Disc Update Check?
Will Dolphin like the games?
How hard will Ocarina cheats be to use?
Will Ninty add a subset of code to auto-update the Wii and remove homebrew while the game is running (similar to the speculation about SMG2, before its release)?

I'm interested to see what they did this time, so Brace Yourselves!

Discuss.
Your friendly neighborhood Egg.

(P.S. I didn't see a topic about this already, so nuke this if there already was
smile.gif
)

Lubbo

GBAtemp Veteran Resurgence
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
wait and see. to be honest i dont think there will be anything new, i think they have nearly given up on the piracy issues for the wii and ds

jceggbert5

Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.
OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, according to them, the Wii will still live for a while... At least a couple years...

I, personally, buy the games and then dump them to WiiFlow... My drive is nearly dead, so I save it whenever possible... I am used to WF now...

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
none?
i don't see there being anything major come dump time. though there may be a minor problem that delays people by at most a day or two from pirating it..

CJL18

Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
i think kirby will have no protection, but DKC will have protection but will be broken in 24hours, now with zelda i think that will have some major AP on it, but will be broken in 2-3days

D

Deleted User

Nothing to crazy, this isn't Sony we are talking about.
Big MAYBE on the Skyward, but even so I don't think it will be a problem, us pirates will be playing it before it hits store shelves.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Nobody knows, since DK and Kirby isn't made directly by nintendo, I guess its none protection.

But Zelda is made directly by Nintendo, so I guess they might use BCA.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
linuxares said:
Nobody knows, since DK and Kirby isn't made directly by nintendo, I guess its none protection.

But Zelda is made directly by Nintendo, so I guess they might use BCA.
They still being first party titles from first party studios, and mayor Nintendo properties, it's like saying that Nintendo don't have control over Smash Brawl because it was developed by Sora.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What I know is, I'm totally going to try playing Kirby's Epic Yarn on Dolphin-emu rather than my Wii.
Hopefully it will emulate beautifully on my new 1080p monitor.
smile.gif

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think it will be not possible to use cheats with the current methods, see prince of persia. Everything else should work like everytime, maybe a BCA update, but that's it.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goli said:
Going by the last few big Wii releases, they'll have no AP at all.

That's what I think.

They tried hard on New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and when that failed, I think they just gave up. I don't need a patched main.dol for Metroid Other M, even though that's a pretty major first party IP title.

It's simply not worth investing lots of money in anti-piracy when it's going to be cracked and worked around so quickly. They may still try, as many companies do, but I too doubt we'll see anything major for them. And if we do... well.... they'll likelybe killed quickly, like all others before them.

dn_angel000

Phantom User
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I were Nintendo I'd just encrypt the games were if u wanted 2 play it u'd have 2 update 2 the latest Firmware (4 those still on 3.x SM) and 4 those on the necessary Firmware update all IOSs on the Wii (Not necessarily the Games IOS)

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dn_angel000 said:
If I were Nintendo I'd just encrypt the games were if u wanted 2 play it u'd have 2 update 2 the latest Firmware (4 those still on 3.x SM) and 4 those on the necessary Firmware update all IOSs on the Wii (Not necessarily the Games IOS)

They already encrypt game discs.

The problem is that the version checking is done by the system menu, which when hacked can be bypassed.

Perhaps you mean having it like Sony does with the PSP with encryption of game executables themselves that are encrypted with keys only the firmware it needs and greater would have?

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
I doubt Nintendo would bother putting anti-piracy on Kirby's Epic Yarn or Donkey Kong Country Returns. I doubt these two games will sell quickly like the Mario or Zelda series have on the Wii, so it'd not be worth the effort for Nintendo to add it anyways. There's a possibility something might be included in Zelda: Skyward Sword though, since that game'll be a bigger lure for hackers and non-hackers alike.

Ocarina probably won't be able to be disabled no matter what game is released, as long as the Homebrew Channel stays up and running.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SpookyBaker @ SpookyBaker: btw my updated location I listed isn't exactly where I wanted it to be, but it's very close to...