Hacking Kingston 2 GB Micro SD for 14.95 - Shipped!

XeroRestraint

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering that.
What is so bad about the chinese ones?
Are they defective?

The Taiwanese and Chinese manufactured versions typically offer slower read & write rates across the board when compared to the Japanese manufactured ones. They're not technically defective they just don't perform as well. Some folks get real hellbent on benchmarking their cards to see if they have the fastest rates possible but IMHO that's a bit excessive. There are really only a very few ROMs that experience problems on the slower cards.

Also know that read rates decline as capacity increases so, when it comes to speed 1 GB JAP > 1GB TAIWAN > 2GB JAP

Nice to hear that... it almost sounded like my card was total trash, but now at least I know it will work.

Mmm... there are taiwan 2gb kingstons, and not only that, the 2gb jap kingston is the fastest there is, hearing up to 19.8 mb/s read and .8 or less access.

Right (sort of) .... you can complete the general speed relationship if you like by adding 1 GB JAP > 1GB TAIWAN > 2GB JAP > 2GB TAIWAN~2GB CHINA

but that's really not the point I was making. The point is that the 1 GB JAPAN card is faster than the 1 GB TAIWAN card and that both are faster than any 2GB card.

This is really only relevant for the benchmark junkies as most of us would be perfectly happy with any of the cards without noticing a difference.

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering that.
What is so bad about the chinese ones?
Are they defective?

The Taiwanese and Chinese manufactured versions typically offer slower read & write rates across the board when compared to the Japanese manufactured ones. They're not technically defective they just don't perform as well. Some folks get real hellbent on benchmarking their cards to see if they have the fastest rates possible but IMHO that's a bit excessive. There are really only a very few ROMs that experience problems on the slower cards.

Also know that read rates decline as capacity increases so, when it comes to speed 1 GB JAP > 1GB TAIWAN > 2GB JAP

Nice to hear that... it almost sounded like my card was total trash, but now at least I know it will work.

Mmm... there are taiwan 2gb kingstons, and not only that, the 2gb jap kingston is the fastest there is, hearing up to 19.8 mb/s read and .8 or less access.

The 3 2GB Japan cards I tried all failed to play PoR. See my benchmark thread.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=57426

SouthPaw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Can you post one of your saves farther into the game and post exactly what you do to get it to lock? I have a PNY 2GB Japan card (same as Kingston). I have played PoR for a few hours without any lockups and would like to test it with one of your saves farther into the game to see if mine locks up as well.

Nintendo4ever

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thankfully I actually own PoR... so no lose there.
wink.gif

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Can you post one of your saves farther into the game and post exactly what you do to get it to lock? I have a PNY 2GB Japan card (same as Kingston). I have played PoR for a few hours without any lockups and would like to test it with one of your saves farther into the game to see if mine locks up as well.

Sure thing. I'll have to find a place to upload it. I'll post it in my benchmark thread.

PikaPika

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buy.com said:
Mfg Part#: SDC/2GBKR

It looks like since the Japan ones are "2GBJP" (or something along those lines), it looks this one is made in Korea, since KR is an abbreviation of Korea. But I've never heard of a Korean-made MicroSD, and this is only speculation, so it's probably not correct.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Welp