Keiji Inafune (Megaman creator) leaves Capcom

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

In an abrupt turn of events, Keiji Inafune has announced his resignation from Capcom via blog post. Inafune has been with the company since 1987 and is most famous for creating the video game character Megaman (or Rockman in Japan). The series is one of the most iconic and recognizable in the game industry. He has also worked on several Resident Evil titles, Onimusha series, and Dead Rising among many other games.

Within the past few months, Inafune has stated publicly that he does not have the same goals in mind with his games as his fellow Capcom employees. He wishes there to be more creative process put into games as well as to target the global audience more aggressively. It was hinted by him last month that he was unsure if he would be staying with the company if they didn't start sharing his vision about how the company should handle games and audiences. Now he has made good on that comment.

So after 23 years at Capcom Keiji Inafune has officially declared his resignation from Capcom, he will leave by the end of the month (which is only a couple of days away). This will no doubt be a major blow for Capcom. Inafune has stated that he intends to continue developing games however. He may even start his own company or join another. At any rate, i guess the real question is- what could this mean for the games he has a huge hand in making? Such as the upcoming Megaman Legends 3... We shall see, but Capcom probably isn't very happy to see that the creator of their mascot has left them. It's not only a big loss, but Inafune's comments about Capcom won't do well for the company's image.

icon11.gif
Source

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Maybe he's depressed because his heroine design for MML3's heroine got the less quantity of votes?
Just kidding
tongue.gif
But since he'll be gone, I wonder what'll happen to MML3 and the various other games he's involved in...

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Goli said:
Maybe he's depressed because his heroine design for MML3's heroine got the less quantity of votes?
Just kidding
tongue.gif
But since he'll be gone, I wonder what'll happen to MML3 and the various other games he's involven in...
I'm wondering if it's related to these projects and if he wasn't allowed/able to have much creative control over any of them in the first place.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I too wonder what will become of Megaman games in general, specifically Legends 3. I didn't realize the fanbase wanted it so badly until recently (i'm not a huge fan of the Legends series, but they're decent, aged horribly). If the game were cancelled, i'd imagine some serious backlash. I guess we'll see, but the series in general...who knows what will become if it? I'm rather sad. I don't like every Megaman game out there, but a lot are still really fun.

If what Inafune said about the company not sharing his goals of creativity and global marketing are true though, i can make some assumptions. Perhaps with him gone (and if they continue to make Megaman games), the series will become even more stale and uninspired. And fewer games may reach overseas. Granted, a ton of Megaman games are already extremely stale, like the first two Starforce games. But we generally got a good Megaman game every once in a while (Zero series was excellent, and the classic revival on download services, heck even Starforce 3 was fun for me at least).

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
.Darky said:
What the hell?
ohnoes.png

Is this the end of the Rockman series? No...it can't be.
When Hironobu Sakaguchi left Square the Final Fantasy series didn't die. Will Megaman die? Probably not. Maybe the games will see a drop in quality, or an increase, who knows!

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AshuraZro said:
Goli said:
Just kidding
tongue.gif
But since he'll be gone, I wonder what'll happen to MML3 and the various other games he's involven in...
I'm wondering if it's related to these projects and if he wasn't allowed/able to have much creative control over any of them in the first place.

That's what I was thinking; I don't think he resigned because his design lost, but more so because he wasn't given the ability to express himself through his work and designs.

I've never been a fan of anything Mega Man, but it's sad to see him go. Wherever he lands, I hope it makes him happy. That being said, I wonder where he will land (if he's still going to be in the video game business.) He's said that Japanese games are dead, so I wonder if he'll end up with an American/Non-Japanese company. I'm just hoping he doesn't end up making sports games or something. (Unless it's like Strikers)

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goli said:
.Darky said:
What the hell?
ohnoes.png

Is this the end of the Rockman series? No...it can't be.
When Hironobu Sakaguchi left Square the Final Fantasy series didn't die. Will Megaman die? Probably not. Maybe the games will see a drop in quality, or an increase, who knows!
I'd say the Final Fantasy series died a long time ago actually, before Sakaguchi left... Maybe not in name, but in spirit. I guess you're sort of right in that respect though, given my logic. Since the producer doesn't seem to have the ends-all of quality control. We'll see what happens with Megaman though.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Man this is some seriously heart breaking news right here....Dude what IS gonna happen to the best video game franchise in existence (Well it is and always will be to me...I've been an uber Megaman fan since day 1...that I played a megaman game). I have never honestly been this sadden, by any video game related news.....THIS SUCKS!!!

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have to say, as a huge Megaman fan, this news saddens me. I have a feeling if they continue to make Megaman games, without Inafune they won't be nearly as good. I mean, it's pretty much a fact that not every Megaman game was amazing, but a good majority of them were; without him we might see less of the great games in the series.

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
toguro_max.sites.uol.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Not nice... Not nice at all!
First Yuji Naka left Sega... Now Keiji Inafume left Capcom... Who's next? Miyamoto will leave Nintendo?
I just can't imagine Megaman without Keiji. He's it's creator, so he knows what he wants to show, waht the want the people to feel...
That really sad...

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't worry about Miyamoto leaving Nintendo, like ever. He loves the company and they give him pretty much full control over what he wants to make. I doubt he has any real complaints. And if he did, Nintendo would cave into his demands long before they'd allow him to take it far enough by leaving the company. Seems like a very healthy relationship there. Unlike Capcom-Inafune. Or Sega-Naka.

Naka left because he was tired of his incompetent squad of business men forcing him to release games months, and sometimes years before they were completed. That's what happened with Sonic 06 apparently. The game was actually said to need another year to be completed and have all the problems ironed out. But the head guys forced them to release it early to cash in on the money early (and it did sell really well, even though it sucks).

Nintendo is not one to rush a game to store shelves when it needs more time to cook. Nor are they ones to cut down creativity or concepts in a game either. If Miyamoto wants something done, they trust in him and let him work his magic. Not something you can say about other video game companies in general, he's been quoted that he never wants to stop making games. I'm sure this sentiment includes making games for Nintendo. Unless of course they get new leadership and put him on a leash...

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
trumpet-205 said:
This is really a sad news.

Besides Legend 3, what else you guys want from Megaman? I personally want a new Megaman ZX title.
I know I'll be hated for saying this, but I'd love to see a new game in the original series but in the Megaman 7 style, kind of like Megaman 9 and 10 but 16-bit instead of 8-bit. To me, 7 was underrated, and one of my favorites in the series.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
I wanna see more battle network to be honest....Even though I've LIKE megaman before then I didn't start LOVING it until then.....Battle Network will always have a special place in my heart as far as Megaman is concern....about Megaman 7....eh...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1