1. 1,830

Front-page
    96SNZ09DKA0N1618939377919.jpg
    Jeff Kaplan, director of the Overwatch games and a 19-year veteran of Blizzard Entertainment, has announced today he will be leaving the company. Filling his role as director of Overwatch 2 is Aaron Keller, an 18-year veteran at Blizzard who has not only worked under Kaplan as a founding member of the original Overwatch team, but also worked with him on World of Warcraft as well. You can read a statement from Jason Kaplan below:

i am leaving Blizzard Entertainment after 19 amazing years.

it was truly the honor of a lifetime to have the opportunity to create worlds and heroes for such a passionate audience.
    i want to express my deep appreciation to everyone at blizzard who supported our games, our game teams and our players. but i want to say a special thanks to the wonderful game developers that shared in the journey of creation with me.

never accept the world as it appears to be. always dare to see it for what it could be.
    i hope you do the same.

gg,

jeffrey kaplan
    Over the past year, many veteran Blizzard employees have been leaving the company. Last September, Blizzard co-founder and longtime CEO Mike Morhaime left to found Dreamhaven Studios, which itself employs many more Blizzard alums, including Dustin Browder (Heroes of the Storm, StarCraft II), Jason Chayes (Hearthstone), and Chris Sigaty (Warcraft III, StarCraft II). Reportedly, all but one of its 27 employees are former Blizzard workers. Earlier this month, Omar Gonzalez, one of the pioneers behind WoW Classic, also left Blizzard for Dreamhaven. Last October, Dave Kosak left the company. Kosak was the public face of Hearthstone, replacing Ben Brode, who also left to form his own studio in 2018. Also in October, many StarCraft II developers left Blizzard to form Frost Giant Studios, reportedly due to Blizzard's lack of interest in developing real-time strategy games. In November, Chris Kaleiki, a longtime World of Warcraft developer left the company, citing disappointment in the direction WoW was headed.

While it's not yet known what Jeff Kaplan's next job will be, he's got plenty of options to choose from if he wants to work with his former Blizzard colleagues.

:arrow: Source

2. Discussion (25 replies)

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    The exodus continues then.

4. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    As long as Bobby Kotick is top turd they're gonna have a tough time fully recovering from their recent slump, I don't think it matters how Blizzard shuffles employees around.

Silent_Gunner and RedBlueGreen like this.
  5. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I said it once before in another older thread, they should really just rename the whole company to just Activision.

6. Chary

Chary Big cat like
    Chief Editor

United States
    Guess everyone’s leaving for warmer weather

7. xenocard

xenocard SOU⅃TAKEЯ

United States
    i liked the Guy, but i think this is the end of my Relationship with Overwatch, this is a sign for bad things to come

8. Louse

Louse go play rez

United States
    I wonder what his future work may look like. He and his stuff is cool even if Blizzard be poo poo dumb bad.

9. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Is there any indication Kaplan gives a shit about RTS? Because that's what the legitimate exodus is about. If not then its basically unrelated.

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  10. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops

United States
    I think what also didn't help matters was stuff like this:

11. AlexMCS

AlexMCS GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    For me, Blizzard has been a constant source of disappointment since Battle for Azeroth flopped and Shadowlands followed suit, so meh.

The only thing I enjoyed from them was World of Warcraft, and they managed to turn it into a pile of trash with the excessive grinding, destroying old raid farming and terrible PvP balance, neutering casual play completely.

Edit: And to top it off, among the worst first WoW patch I've ever played, they had the balls to increase subscription costs worldwide. They deserve all the spite they get, even if we all know Activision is to blame.

Last edited by AlexMCS, Apr 20, 2021
  12. limpbiz411

limpbiz411 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    blizzard is working with a skeleton crew at this point.

StrayGuitarist and MarkDarkness like this.
  13. CrimsonMaple

CrimsonMaple EXPLOSION!!~

United States
    Yeah, this does not spell good news for Overwatch... Which makes me sad since I really love the game.

14. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I'll never forgive Blizzard for how awful StarCraft 2 campaign's storyline was. I anticipated that shit for years. Then it finally came out, and a lot of shit from StarCraft 1 was retconned. They fucking retconned so much shit.

15. BitMasterPlus

BitMasterPlus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Guess more people abandoning ship from shitty big Triple A game companies. Although, I don't know who this guy is so I don't know if he's good or not.

16. shorty_bobert

shorty_bobert Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I was hoping for a classic Tigole rant about how the company's gone to shit, but I guess he's transcended.

17. Seliph

Seliph Best Girl

United States

Uh oh

leon315 likes this.
  18. sonicvssilver22

sonicvssilver22 You're myself, I'm yourself

United States
    “Hey guys it’s Jeff from the Overwatch team”

I’ll truly miss hearing these words

driverdis likes this.
  19. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I swear if OW2 is trash im gonna be mad

20. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    The only RTS Jeff was involved with was Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos as one of the designers, and that was in 2002. What does RTS have anything to do with Jeff leaving Blizzard?

21. relauby

OP relauby Idiot Child
    Reviewer

Canada
    I think he’s saying that the exodus has to do with unconfirmed reports that Blizzard isn’t developing RTS games anymore, so people leaving for other reasons are not indicative of a larger problem with Blizzard. But I don't personally think that's true. Given all the stuff that's been tanking Blizzard's public image lately, I'm sure it's worse for the people on the inside.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Overwatch, director, Blizzard