Hacking Just Got a 500GB Seagate FreeAgent Go

Kryptical

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dangy said:
Kryptical said:
Anything that works for the user is good enough. I personally prefer WBFS Manager for my own reasons and it has never let me down.

@Dangy
Remember to rename it to boot.dol.

Oh my gosh, I am such an idiot.

Thanks so much!
No problem lol.

jaynecobb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DownSince86 said:
George Dawes said:
FAT doesn't really have any negatives, other than having to split files larger than 4gb. The downsides of WBFS far outweigh those of FAT32.

You get "nice managers" with all filesystems, but with FAT (and NTFS) you aren't stuck using them. WBFS is a relic from the past. If you are still in the past and use it & it works for you - great! But for anyone just starting out it makes far more sense to use FAT. We wouldn't recommend people install the very first cIOS, and nor should we recommend people use a FS that has been superseded.

The .wbfs file was also made for wii games.

In addition to all that using FAT32 opens up the HDD for use with homebrew. I have several gigs worth of videos and roms stored on the HDD that I watch/play through homebrew software.

Sure you could partition the drive to WBFS/FAT32 but why go through the trouble when formatting the entire drive to FAT32 works just as well? I'm not saying FAT32 is the best file system out there but atm it is the best option for the Wii. I'd personally prefer ext3 but no one has seen a need to support it yet.

QUOTEAnd if nobody released a CIOS for fat32 or NTFS you'd still be using it.

Yea, I would. I'd switch as soon as something else was supported though. WBFS formatted drives are a pain in the ass to manage from a PC and unrecoverable. Feel free to store an entire collection of Wii games on one of those if you feel like it. Enjoy the surprise of waking up one day and finding that entire collection corrupted with no way to recover it.

wow, i have never heard of this happening.

anyone else have any issues with wbfs?

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
jaynecobb said:
wow, i have never heard of this happening.

anyone else have any issues with wbfs?
lol

you really are new around here

this happens on a regular basis because

1) old wbfslib version had nasty bugs (PC & Wii) but still might be used
2) Windows asks to format it every single time

in addition to possibly unknown bugs, user errors and drive defects

just look at the number of threads about it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users