just bought ps3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by issy12, Jan 7, 2011.

Jan 7, 2011

just bought ps3 by issy12 at 10:47 PM (1,268 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. issy12
    OP

Member issy12 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    hi there, i just bought a ps3 and would like to set it up to my computer my computer has a VGA connection
    just to clarify are these the cables i need to buy:
    for video
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

for sound

2. Magoo222

Member Magoo222 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I'd be careful with the video cables, I looked into it myself a while ago and it seems that cables like those are only one direction. So they'll take your VGA output from a graphics card and show it on your HDMI TV for example, but in the other direction (HDMI output on PS3 to VGA input on Monitor) you need some form of converter.

3. issy12
    OP

United Kingdom
    thanks, do you know where i could buy what you are talking about, or how much they cost, because i cant really find them

4. issy12
    OP

United Kingdom
    couldn't i just use this?
    i have an av cable for the ps3

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Those are output, not input.

6. issy12
    OP

United Kingdom
    hdmi monitors cost too much, so is my best bet buying a dvi monitor and then hdmi to dvi adpater like this:

7. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    You can get a good 24" HDMI monitor for £170, or go for cheaper options like 22" monitors for around £100.

Although I can't comment on adaptors since I have mine hooked up to the living room TV.

8. Bluee

Newcomer Bluee Member

United States
    I use a DVI-HDMI adapter for my computer monitor. The adapter is female DVI and male HDMI. The adapter goes into the PS3's HDMI port, then I run a DVI cable from that adapter to my monitor's DVI port. I also dual input with my computer on my monitor, going through the VGA port. Ironically I have to convert my video card's DVI output to VGA, because I didn't have an HDMI-VGA adapter to use with my PS3. Everything seems to work fine though!

For sound, I use Sony's cable for analog output into my speakers, which has two dual analog inputs (so two sets of red & white). This is kind of cool because I can mix in my PC audio with the PS3 audio at the same time, all coming out of the same speakers. Be sure to tell the PS3, under Sound Settings, to use multiple outputs for audio; it will default to just outputting via HDMI otherwise.

If your intended sound device (speakers, or monitor) has a more typical 3.5mm audio input (sometimes referred to as "mini-jack" or "stereo"), you can use a coupler like pictured in the original post.

Also to note about computer monitors: if you get a 16:10 aspect ratio monitor, you might have some minor scaling issues with your monitor. It all depends on the monitor and how it handles 1:1 pixel mapping. The PS3 will only output 16:9 at 720p or 1080p (480p/i ignored for this), so it is up to your monitor to handle the scaling. Some monitors will vertically stretch the image, to fit the screen. Some might even "zoom in", cutting off some of the left and right sides. Others will add black bars on the top and bottom. Black bars would be the preferred outcome because they maintain the intended aspect ratio; always a plus!

ALSO: Your monitor, for HDMI or DVI, must support an HDCP signal for the PS3 to be able to work on it. VGA adapter might bypass this (or simply not work at all), but I have no idea. Actually, I just tested HDMI-DVI-VGA, from my PS3 to my monitor's VGA input. It didn't work, either because of my setup or because the PS3 was waiting for the HDCP handshake that never came back, because of the VGA analog conversion. So I wholeheartedly recommend that you don't plan on using your monitor's VGA input for PS3; if possible, use DVI input for PS3 and VGA for your computer. HDCP can be bypassed altogether if you use Sony's component cable (which is analog), but that's a whole other story.

9. issy12
    OP

United Kingdom
    thanks for the reply, atm i'm just looking for a cheap tv 19" or so as the ps3 will/should work with all tv's.

till then i'm waiting

10. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
  11. issy12
    OP

United Kingdom
    yes but i have heard these are just one way

also reading the reviews, it has some bugs, and i'd rather wait for a new tv or something, thanks anyways