Hacking Just a quicky for a newcomer (usb hdd)

foxorroxors

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,
Just wondering, i am a nub at this atm... But i can i just launch iso's straight off the usb hdd with Configurable usb loader? my hdd is formated in NTFS... any special folder structure needed or just plonk them on and load it with usb loader?

TIA

Foxor`

MrBananman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for config usb loader you need to make a folder called wbfs and put your iso's in there. but you also have to rename the iso's to their correct gamied. you can google wiitdb or find the gameid file in the configurable usb loader folder somewhere. E is for enlgish/US

LongJohns

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
bubbleboy said:
If it's a new drive I strongly recommend formatting to FAT32, saves a lot of trouble in the long run.

Sorry for the hijack, but on the same topic, I am also a newbie when using a HD - so does one format the entire drive as FAT32?

The reason I am asking is I have seen so many threads that say something different, some say to partition the drive at 4.7 and then format the second partition with WBFSManager - or does all this really depend on the loader one is using? I was considering uLoader as that is what I am currently using to run from the dvd drive.

foxorroxors

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But if you format as fat32 then dont you have to scrubb the iso's??

for the gamer tag, say i wanted to use Monster hunter i rename the iso to RMHP08 and it will work?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
LongJohns said:
bubbleboy said:
If it's a new drive I strongly recommend formatting to FAT32, saves a lot of trouble in the long run.

Sorry for the hijack, but on the same topic, I am also a newbie when using a HD - so does one format the entire drive as FAT32?

The reason I am asking is I have seen so many threads that say something different, some say to partition the drive at 4.7 and then format the second partition with WBFSManager - or does all this really depend on the loader one is using? I was considering uLoader as that is what I am currently using to run from the dvd drive.
Those threads are either old, or contain opinions of people who aren't up to date (I bet you could find some posts of myself if you search a bit). WBFS used to be the only partitioning format that could be used to store and play wii games, while FAT32 was (and is) the only way to run homebrew. So it used to be that if you wanted to use a hard disk for both homebrew and wii games, you had to split things up.

Advances in hacking have made the WBFS format pretty much obsolete (though some guys are pretty hard to convince of the advantages).

FAT32 does have the "disadvantage" that it can't use files larger than 4 gigabyte. This includes any single iso file, but this doesn't matter so much: programs like wii game manager or wii backup manager can convert that iso file into .wbfs files (it also scrubs out the excessive data). For playing games, you won't even notice the difference: the different files go in the \wbfs folder, or in the \wbfs\monster hunter [RMHP]\ (to use monster hunter as an example), and the loader gets all the data just fine.

IIRC, NTFS can use the .iso files directly (you could scrub it to get rid of the extra zero's, but aside from taking up less space, it's exactly the same). You'd name it "\wbfs\RMHP_Monster hunter tri.iso", or \wbfs\Monster Hunter tri [RMHP].iso or something along those lines.

(that's assuming the naming convention is the same for NTFS. For FAT32 it's as follows:
-take the 4 digits of the ID and put them in front of the name, or at the back between '[' and ']'-brackets
-anything else of the name is up to you
)

foxorroxors

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the fast reply, been away for 8months last time i moded a wii it was 3.2 lol, moded 4.2 got HBC and usb loader working, thanks for all the help guys

P.s im just putting the wii iso's in /wbfs then naming them their game id seems to work fine

Foxor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work