Hacking Joyflow a mod of wiiflow

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@grnorris considering usb 3.0 drives.

You are probably right that the problem isn't the USB 3.0 interface.
However, when I selected my drive for Wii use, I choose the WD passport 2.5" because it was in the list of known compatible drives.
When they arrived, they had the 3.0 interface. I thought, so what, it should be downwards compatible and might be a bonus for the future.
The issue is, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I can't break the case open and install the disk in another case, as the usb interface is integrated directly in the disk electronics. You can't separate the harddisk and the usb interface.
For that reason, I am warning people to stay away from those drives.
I see no reason why they request a special driver if I disable the password setup, exept the fact they are crap.
So my working suggestion is using a normal laptop or desktop drive in a separate usb enclosure.
If the specific brand of enclosure doesn't work, there is a good change you can return things to the shop were you bought it.
There are probably usb 3.0 drives that work fine, but there is not much benefit in buying one for the moment, besides the fact that transferring stuff to and from it will go faster if your pc has an usb 3.0 port as well.

So, to make a long story short, it's probably unknown what causes the incompatibility issues of usb disk's with the wii.
There is the suspend - spindown issue which is known. I guess with sneek you might be able to force some drive acces at regular times, keeping the thing alive.

I hate it when things are a hit and (don't) miss. It always turns out wrong for me. Guess I was born like that.

And sorry for interrupting the priiloader discussion.

grnorris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, your original post sounded unfounded but you've given us reasons now. I know for a fact that Spindown is disabled on my WD drive (because when the case for the other one broke I got to see the Pin settings). Perhaps if you could disable spindown that would help (If you have a warranty then I wouldn't bother as this wold likely require opening the case and voiding the warranty). To my knowledge each program actually uses it's own method of accessing USB drives so it could also be that the program your using has an incompatibility). The idea to use a case and regular drive is probably the best advice as you only have to replace the case if it doesn't work (assuming the drive is good). If memory serves IDE doesn't have some of the extra features that SATA does so if the internal drive is IDE it may be more compatiblie (though most newer drives including my own use SATA because it's faster). It may be the case that there is only one available driver for some features in your drive other than security, I know for my drives I used the Software that came with them to disable the built in security and backup software as well as a UD3 (??? The pseudo CD format) partition. Make sure you haven't made any other errors either, for instance the Wii prefers FAT32 at 4096 byte clusters or less (only certain programs absolutely require this but it is a good step).

Look online for alternate drivers (for the device itself not for the computer) to your 3.0 drive. The original drivers and software for my MyBook drive couldn't remove the UD3 partition and that would have prevented me from using any homebrew at all with the device (as all homebrew to my knowledge looks at the first partition unless stated otherwise, I think CFG can look elsewhere but that won't help your problem with it.). Also check Linux forums to see if they have a driver (installable to the device) to make it Linux compatible. I'm pretty sure the Wii works on a UNIX like foundation so a driver (again I'm not talking the one for the computer but the driver in the device itself) that works on Linux will likely work on the Wii. If anyone can verify this it would be much appreciated.

Most newer devices (and even most older ones probably) have updatable drivers in them so an alternate that disables certain functions (if you can't do it via the original drivers and software).

Sorry if this sounds confusing, I'm paying attention to two things at once right now and trying to express a complex though in a simplified form (something I've been learning to do for a while...)

obcd said:
@grnorris considering usb 3.0 drives.

You are probably right that the problem isn't the USB 3.0 interface.
However, when I selected my drive for Wii use, I choose the WD passport 2.5" because it was in the list of known compatible drives.
When they arrived, they had the 3.0 interface. I thought, so what, it should be downwards compatible and might be a bonus for the future.
The issue is, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I can't break the case open and install the disk in another case, as the usb interface is integrated directly in the disk electronics. You can't separate the harddisk and the usb interface.
For that reason, I am warning people to stay away from those drives.
I see no reason why they request a special driver if I disable the password setup, exept the fact they are crap.
So my working suggestion is using a normal laptop or desktop drive in a separate usb enclosure.
If the specific brand of enclosure doesn't work, there is a good change you can return things to the shop were you bought it.
There are probably usb 3.0 drives that work fine, but there is not much benefit in buying one for the moment, besides the fact that transferring stuff to and from it will go faster if your pc has an usb 3.0 port as well.

So, to make a long story short, it's probably unknown what causes the incompatibility issues of usb disk's with the wii.
There is the suspend - spindown issue which is known. I guess with sneek you might be able to force some drive acces at regular times, keeping the thing alive.

I hate it when things are a hit and (don't) miss. It always turns out wrong for me. Guess I was born like that.

And sorry for interrupting the priiloader discussion.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
kylster said:
So essentially its not looking in the same place for hacks.ini when in real nand & emu-nand while your in MultiModManager?
No, whether its on real nand or emu nand MMM would be looking in the same place. Even on real nand, a copy of SD:\hacks.ini is saved to NAND:\title000001000002\data\hacks.ini. But you need to access priiloader's system menu hacks menu before it gets copied over to the nand. On your emulated nand, u can copy it over manually (or let ModMii do it for u) or just launch priiloader on your emu nand and quickly access the system menu hacks page. Then the hacks.ini should be copied to your emunand and you can test setting system menu hacks using MMM again.
Ill try it out but what do i need to rename the hacks.ini to?
still called hacks.ini, just copy it to NAND:\title000001000002\data\hacks.ini
@obcd and grnorris regarding usb 3.0 drives
I think I have the best setup, and I thought I'd share in case anyone wants to do the same thing. The following Seagate GoFlex Portable Hard Drives are the best portable hard drives out there IMO. They're fast and have perfect compatability with everything I've thrown at them.

More info here: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/...able-hard-drive
better prices can be found on newegg.ca or newegg.com

I have 2x 1.5TB goflex hard drives with USB3.0, and 2x 1.0TB goflex hard drives with USB2.0. But since the hard drive's are upgradable, I can take the usb3.0 connection off one of the 1.5TB drives and replace it with a USB2.0 interface from one of the 1TB drives, and it works great with the Wii/PS3. And if I need to transfer a lot of data, I just plug the USB3.0 interface back in. But if you try and use the usb3.0 interface on the Wii it will work only sometimes.

What else is awesome about these drives is that if u have a laptop sized internal hard drive without a case, you can connect it to anything (Wii/PS3/PC/media player/etc.) with the USB2.0/USB3.0 interfaces. So they come in handy if u have spare hard drives kicking around, u can use them for the Wii/PS3 without even buying a case (great for beta testing). And the USB2.0/USB3.0/esata interfaces/cables can also be purchased individually for 10-20 bucks, so if u want to buy a 1.5TB hard drive that comes with USB3.0, u can get a USB2.0 interface sold separately for greater compatability with your gaming consoles.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thank's for sharing this knowledge XFlak.

What suprises me is that in your case Usb 3.0 doesn't seem to work all the time as well.

I am well aware that different programs use different ways to access the drive. Usbloaders use Cios which replaced the USB 1.1 with a 2.0 driver. Homebrew uses IOS58 with a buildin USB 2.0 driver. Some older forwarders use other IOS and USB 1.1 instead of 2.0.
This all makes it complicated to see the wood between the trees. Some people might think a disk works fine, while others might hav problems with it because they use other programs.

Sneek could bring a change in this mess.
If every disk acces could be done using the Sneek ISFS module, only the Ehci drivers of Sneek should be tweaked for maximum compatibility. You could even force disk access at regular times to avoid disk spindown I assume.

It's good to hear from other alternatives that work well. I was a little pi**ed when I realised that my "according to the list compatible" drive wasn't working. (I had even bought 2 to save shipping costs...)

I searched for alternative firmwares, but as these drives are still new, I couldn't find any. All I found was a lot of guys complaining because they had trouble using them on linux machines as well. Besides that, I don't like it if a simple piece of hardware like an usb disk wants to install a driver. There is enough bloatware in the OS running already to slow things down.
I will end here before someone jumps in and tells me to install DSL instead of an M$ OS.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have purchased two Seagate GoFlex Desk usb3.0 1TB drive & they work perfectly. This particular ext.hdd works with MightyChannels, CFG Loader, & WiiFlow, I have never tried with s/uneek however so cannot say too much for that.

hellboy2010

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
scooby74029 said:
@paul could you send me the link to save game installer?

hey scooby use savemanager_GX to transfer your saves from your real nand or(emulated nand) to your emulated nand or(real nand)

the only thing that you need to made savemanager_GX to work on uneek is the cios 249 rev14

scooby74029

wanttabe dev
OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiithemer.org
XP
Country
United States
hellboy2010 said:
scooby74029 said:
@paul could you send me the link to save game installer?

hey scooby use savemanager_GX to transfer your saves from your real nand or(emulated nand) to your emulated nand or(real nand)

the only thing that you need to made savemanager_GX to work on uneek is the cios 249 rev14

thanks hellboy ill try it out

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:

You do not need savemanger_GX to copy all your saves over. Just enable hack=Remove Copy Protected Game Save on emu-nand and just copy over through Wii naturally. I've done this for my wifes COD:BO
smile.gif

I thought having a cIOS such as 249 isntalled messed with s/uneek(+di) is this only the case if you use something that may require it?

grnorris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@obcd:
I prefer more full blown Debians like Ubuntu or BackTrack (with GUI forced on at start) but I still use Windows 7 because I can't live without it...

Anyway, it sounds like the overall problem is with drivers and that there just isn't enough support out there. You also said that Linux has issues with it so it's either because Linux doesn't support it's specific drivers or because most Linux's haven't caught up with USB3.

With just a little research I found Linux was apparently the first to integrate USB 3.0 support but if you know anything about Linux OSes you know just because a kernel update supports it that doesn't mean the actual OS does.

Note: Reminder I going with the presumption that the Wii is Linux based. I've made this presumption based on what I know of the Wii's functions. Essentially from what I've seen the Wii works on a UNIX foundation or similar (which actually means that since the Wii has a powerful base and it doesn't integrate browsers the way a regular OS does it should be immune to getting viruses). A confirmation of the UNIX thing would be nice.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
kylster said:
I thought having a cIOS such as 249 isntalled messed with s/uneek(+di) is this only the case if you use something that may require it?
It only interferes when the cIOS is accessed, so yes, it will only cause problems when using an app that requires a cIOS.

Hellboy, u sure cIOSrev14 works in s/uneek? Scooby (I think it was him) mentioned earlier in this thread (or related thread) that the only cIOS to actually work in s\uneek was cIOS249rev7 (I'm pretty sure he said rev7). Scooby, can you confirm since my memory is fuzzy? thx!

scooby74029

wanttabe dev
OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiithemer.org
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
kylster said:
It only interferes when the cIOS is accessed, so yes, it will only cause problems when using an app that requires a cIOS.

Hellboy, u sure cIOSrev14 works in s/uneek? Scooby (I think it was him) mentioned earlier in this thread (or related thread) that the only cIOS to actually work in s\uneek was cIOS249rev7 (I'm pretty sure he said rev7). Scooby, can you confirm since my memory is fuzzy? thx!

i know it wont work to launch a game but never tried it to use savegamemanagergx
ill test it and confirm for sure

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought it was rev9? oh well i can confirm @ least rev9 does not work and I think this is the lowest rev savegame manager gx works with. The ios58test.dol for savegame manager gx does not work either. I get a black screen with a thick green glitchy line across the screen.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I hope this is the right place to ask. Well as you know, it's not just me waiting for OverJoys modified DI module. Will it work with SNEEK/UNEEK only or with sorgeligs nand emulator too?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
XFlak said:
if rev14 works I wonder if rev17b (from ModMii) will also work since they are very similar, anyone able to test?

Results in black screen here....with a greenish border on top....
Sometimes I can hear the BGM.

Before, I managed to get it to run ( lucky )
The resulted saves were not usable though.
Restoring old saves and mii's worked, wonder why it worked then and not now.....

hellboy2010

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ scooby
@ Hielkenator

well is working for me check the video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbo0EjZ7Vcs[/youtube]

@ XFlak
i never said nothing about cios 249 rev7

rev17 do not work for me

spec.
uneek+di 4.3u (from modmii)

screenshot of my nand
capturecwc.png

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nice...going full emulation is like going back in time. First it was needed to use HBC 1.0.7 (the latest refuses to work). Then an older version of priiloader was needed. And now cios rev14 apparently works?
laugh.gif

Oh, and...this may sound noobish, but how do you install it? Running the old installer didn't work (I think the IOS'es in sneek aren't trucha patched). Modmii only goes back to rev17 and NUSD only downloads retail IOS'es as wads.
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-