Homebrew Question Joycon vibration support in homebrew (Can we do that yet?)

DaniPoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I have been enjoying RetroArch for quite some time now and mostly the Playstation core.
I just realized that Retroarch on PC does support vibration for controllers, How come the Switch version doesn't.
Is it that this feature has not been implemented in LibNX yet? Or is it just that the developers are hard at work doing things that they feel are more important?

DaniPoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

AdamFX990

Confused Humanoid
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, cool, so then I guess it's up to the RetroArch devs to implement it whenever they have time and energy :D
I'm quite surprised its not already in tbh. The only thing with the joycons is that they have two motors rather than one. So perhaps they had trouble getting it to feel right.

DaniPoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm quite surprised its not already in tbh. The only thing with the joycons is that they have two motors rather than one. So perhaps they had trouble getting it to feel right.

Well the dualshock has two motors as well, but they are different, one is more powerful and vibrates at a lower frequenzy and one vibrates at a higher frequenzy. Im sure the switch vibrators could do something decent enough to simulate those two motors? I don't have too much knowlege about the 3D rumble but it seams pretty versetile.

AdamFX990

Confused Humanoid
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well the dualshock has two motors as well, but they are different, one is more powerful and vibrates at a lower frequenzy and one vibrates at a higher frequenzy. Im sure the switch vibrators could do something decent enough to simulate those two motors? I don't have too much knowlege about the 3D rumble but it seams pretty versetile.

You've got two per joycon with variable amplitude and frequency. In a dualshock, its just two servos with two slightly different sized weights on that occilate. You can't control them independently like you can with a joycon.

Put very simply, each joycon has 4 different variables for controlling the rumble. That's a total of 8 between two joycons. The playstation likely has 1 (amplitude), maybe two but I don't think you can control the frequency.

From a developers point of view, you have a few options. You could translate the rumble from the game and apply it to both the joycons at a set frequency. Or you could try to replicate it a bit more accurately by creating adding code that trys to replicate the dualshock feel by manipulating all the motors independently based on the one or two parameters that a dualshock would expect. I'm sure there's many more ways you could think of to implement it.

All that being said, its probably not a very big task in its simplist form. So I imagine that it'll be implemented in some way pretty soon. It may already be in the latest nightly, who knows? :D

DaniPoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You've got two per joycon with variable amplitude and frequency. In a dualshock, its just two servos with two slightly different sized weights on that occilate. You can't control them independently like you can with a joycon.

Put very simply, each joycon has 4 different variables for controlling the rumble. That's a total of 8 between two joycons. The playstation likely has 1 (amplitude), maybe two but I don't think you can control the frequency.

From a developers point of view, you have a few options. You could translate the rumble from the game and apply it to both the joycons at a set frequency. Or you could try to replicate it a bit more accurately by creating adding code that trys to replicate the dualshock feel by manipulating all the motors independently based on the one or two parameters that a dualshock would expect. I'm sure there's many more ways you could think of to implement it.

All that being said, its probably not a very big task in its simplist form. So I imagine that it'll be implemented in some way pretty soon. It may already be in the latest nightly, who knows? :D

Hmm, thats pretty interesting. lets hope that a lot of developers will implement this in their projects then.
I like the idea of kinda simulating the two dualshock motors as closely as possible. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/mKiHdEqwh80