• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

John McAfee, Creator of McAfee Antivirus Has "Committed Suicide"

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit. Murdered by Tax evasion?
He definitely had paranoid delusions and delusions of grandeur, which I would guess as an uninformed observer might have had something to do with his apparent suicide. The tax evasion had probably nothing to do with it.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as I'd like to believe that he was murdered as part of some grand conspiracy, sadly I'm sure he actually did kill himself despite his assertions that he wouldn't. He was facing decades in American prison, far more than what murderers and rapists serve, all for...refusing to fund genocide abroad and domestic extrajudicial execution? Doesn't seem right. Should have let him go. How much could he possibly "owe" anyway? A few thousand maybe? Damn shame.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
As much as I'd like to believe that he was murdered as part of some grand conspiracy, sadly I'm sure he actually did kill himself despite his assertions that he wouldn't. He was facing decades in American prison, far more than what murderers and rapists serve, all for...refusing to fund genocide abroad and domestic extrajudicial execution? Doesn't seem right. Should have let him go. How much could he possibly "owe" anyway? A few thousand maybe? Damn shame.
since he was corporate, a few pennies/cents maybe, you gotta have a mc-job to get really interested in taxes, i mean they're the big spenders to the gov..

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country

It was not just tax evasion, it was primarily fraud that would come with a significant sentence. He also likely was involved in killing someone and had previous issues involving unlicensed/illegal firearms. The latter is not what he was being extradited for, but this was not just a few thousand dollars of tax evasion.

if you think small time white collar criminals (let alone incredibly rich white collar criminals) are treated more harshly than murderers, rapists, or even people with minor theft/ drug possession charges, you are not very familiar with the US criminal justice system.

Reactions: Dakitten and Xzi

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How much could he possibly "owe" anyway? A few thousand maybe? Damn shame.
since he was corporate, a few pennies/cents maybe, you gotta have a mc-job to get really interested in taxes, i mean they're the big spenders to the gov..
He owed more than $4.2 million in taxes, according to the United States.

Reactions: Dakitten and Xzi

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
He owed more than $4.2 million in taxes, according to the United States.
WOW, really, that's gotta be the worst company ever! sounds like he actually truthfully (unlike former president did) fill in some tax forms, just not paying afterwards, that doesn't sound too bright but then again, he might've just forgotten all about it.
hardly a reason to kill yourself for.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WOW, really, that's gotta be the worst company ever! sounds like he actually truthfully (unlike former president did) fill in some tax forms, just not paying afterwards, that doesn't sound too bright but then again, he might've just forgotten all about it.
hardly a reason to kill yourself for.
No, he pretty much refused to pay taxes or even declare millions in income, and he flaunted it. The United States had to investigate and figure it out themselves.

Reactions: Xzi

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
The United States takes taxation very seriously.

I’d respectfully disagree. The tax code is riddled with loopholes written by lobbyists and the IRS has been systematically underfunded the last few decades. Enforcement has dropped significantly and the audits that do happen are disproportionately done for people who lack the resources to litigate and likely made mistakes. Nearly all independent studies say increasing the budget for tax enforcement would be an easy way generate hundreds of billions in tax revenue without new tax laws, only enforcing the existing ones.

Consider how much McAfee flaunted his tax evasion and how long it took for anything to happen about it. It also didn’t happen until there was other financial fraud involved.

Reactions: Xzi and Lacius

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’d respectfully disagree. The tax code is riddled with loopholes written by lobbyists and the IRS has been systematically underfunded the last few decades. Enforcement has dropped significantly and the audits that do happen are disproportionately done for people who lack the resources to litigate and likely made mistakes. Nearly all independent studies say increasing the budget for tax enforcement would be an easy way generate hundreds of billions in tax revenue without new tax laws, only enforcing the existing ones.

Consider how much McAfee flaunted his tax evasion and how long it took for anything to happen about it. It also didn’t happen until there was other financial fraud involved.
You and I are in agreement that there are loopholes that need to be closed, enforcement needs to be consistent, etc. However, the IRS does indeed take taxation seriously, despite having one hand tied behind their back.

Reactions: Xzi and Jacobh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-