Jim Sterling Pro Reviewer and Youtube Personality DDOS'd Over 'Low' Score Zelda BotW Review

Breath of The Wild has enraptured fans and critics alike in the week since its launch. Touted as one of the greatest open world games in a decade, the most awesome Zelda since Ocarina of Time, and the most excellent video game to come out in recent memory.

Flawless and perfection are the adjectives that echo in everyone's words that talk about this newest iteration of Zelda. But not everyone has been echoing the same sentiment, and one man, in particular, is paying pretty dearly for his opinion.

Jim Sterling, known for his no-nonsense and polarizing views on the gaming industry, has taken fire for seemingly being responsible for Breath of The Wilds drop from 98 to 97 on Metacritic after publishing his review giving the game a 7/10. (Boy that sure looks familiar.)

Screenshot+2017-03-13+01.32.07.png

Jim Sterlings Review notes said:
“At its absolute best, Breath of the Wild offers some of the most absorbing experiences a Zelda game ever has.

“Unfortunately, it makes you work harder for it than you should, buried as it is under a pile of small but constant irritations that collaborate to form a thick crust of frustration around a delectable center.

“Breath of the Wild is a delightful adventure, one that tries its utmost to be as big a pain in the arse as possible.”

In the hours since publishing his review, Sterlings website has gone down and is currently inaccessible at the time of this writing. He has also received numerous public death threats and even has shared straw polls demanding he be hanged for his opinion.

Jim Sterling on the reviews for Zelda said:
Truly, I wish I could say I understood what all the critics were raving about in their onslaught of 10/10 reviews, but I don’t. I see too many things getting in the way of the brilliance, too much repetitive busywork and full-on dick moves for me to say this is even close to my favorite Zelda game, much less in the top five.

Close, but no Triforce.

Silencing criticism with DDoS's and hate speech is an unfortunate and unnecessary consequence of modern internet media. No one should be silenced for their opinion as everyone has a right to their views.

What does our community make of this recent news? How do you all feel about what happened to Sterling?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Jim said it best himself "If you love your game so much why don't you just go and play it then? Why do you care so much about the opinion of a stranger that you'd rather spend time Ddos-ing him instead of playing the game"

Fanboys.

Need the 98, highest ever game etc to bash fans of other consoles with.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I'm feeling the whole thing is bs, pretty much everyone I have seen have said it's very good, but not 10/10, and I'm sure people might grumble at a 7/10 score (personally I would also rate it at about 7/10) but I genuinely don't see anyone bothering to ddos over it

I would imagine gbatemp would have a fair amount of die hard Nintendo fanboys and even here I haven't seen more than 1/2 people acting butt hurt over low(ish) reviews (compared to what they were personally expecting)

so sure while there are people who dislike Nintendo giving really low scores without ever playing, I'm sure there is probably other people who simply don't like this guy who would also be looking for excuses to try cause drama, but then a lot of YouTube "personalities" thrive this kinda crap to grow their channel and garner supporters to the point where I'm sure a lot of it is grossly exaggerated or even made up

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo fan boys aside, when you make your way in life by bashing other's creativity, instead of creating your own work, you can expect and deserve this kind of backlash. After all, you are the one who purposely created the negativity. Why did the reviewer on gbatemp who scored it a 7/10 not get the same back lash? 1)People probably have respect for that person and 2)That person probably does not have a history of bashing games for profit.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm feeling the whole thing is bs, pretty much everyone I have seen have said it's very good, but not 10/10, and I'm sure people might grumble at a 7/10 score (personally I would also rate it at about 7/10) but I genuinely don't see anyone bothering to ddos over it

I would imagine gbatemp would have a fair amount of die hard Nintendo fanboys and even here I haven't seen more than 1/2 people acting butt hurt over low(ish) reviews (compared to what they were personally expecting)

so sure while there are people who dislike Nintendo giving really low scores without ever playing, I'm sure there is probably other people who simply don't like this guy who would also be looking for excuses to try cause drama, but then a lot of YouTube "personalities" thrive this kinda crap to grow their channel and garner supporters to the point where I'm sure a lot of it is grossly exaggerated or even made up
You haven't read our review of it, have you? There's so much butt-blasting going on that the whole comment section should be covered in Asshurtprazol cream just to be safe. It's insane 7/10 is a decent score, I really don't get it either.

Reactions: VinsCool

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
He probably shouldn't have been DDOS'd, but I can understand both sides of this little quarrel. Reviewers need to be honest with themselves and their audience, else they're no better than professional trolls. Sterling certainly hasn't done himself any favors over the years by constantly ragging on Nintendo and showing favoritism toward the other two major console manufacturers. Removes his impartiality in the eyes of many, and thus also removes much of his credibility as a result.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
He probably shouldn't have been DDOS'd, but I can understand both sides of this little quarrel. Reviewers need to be honest with themselves and their audience, else they're no better than professional trolls. Sterling certainly hasn't done himself any favors over the years by constantly ragging on Nintendo and showing favoritism toward the other two major console manufacturers. Removes his impartiality in the eyes of many, and thus also removes much of his credibility as a result.
Maybe he wouldn't be so hard on Nintendo if they started releasing competently made products again, like they used to.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Maybe he wouldn't be so hard on Nintendo if they started releasing competently made products again, like they used to.
Certainly their competence is at least on the level of MS and Sony. The problem is judging Nintendo products on a completely separate and more heavily-weighted scale. Pirating most Xbox and Playstation games is just as easy, so Sterling encouraging the piracy of Nintendo games only is stupid.

Last edited by Xzi,

Trophies
XP
Country
I seen scores for games drop more numbers for much less. 7 is a bit low of a score but at least he it was with a honest critique of the game mechanic and finished the game. Even though Jim rated some of my most favourite games with 6.5's and lower, i trust him more than I trust ign

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
It's insane 7/10 is a decent score, I really don't get it either.
It should be a decent score, but people (both readers and reviewers) are equating the scale with the percentage scale used for (American) school grades, where 70% is a low C or a high D, which is not a good grade. So 7/10 has come to mean "barely worth playing" and is seldom used, and the entire scale of 1 to 10 has become crammed in between the 8 and the 10, and we have scores with decimal places which is fucking ridiculous. Not to mention that any review worth reading can't be boiled down to a single number but hey, reading is hard.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, it's shit. But given how influential this guy is, how many insane fans there are and the ease of doing something like this, it's somewhat inevitable. I'm sure there are many more people who would respectfully disagree, but those aren't nearly as vocal/newsworthy.

Everyone has an opinion. Fanboys just don't respect that, and it's a sad thing.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Do you even watch his videos? He rags on them for perfectly good reasons. He brings up the actual issues behind Nintendo and talks about those issues, instead of bowing before every fart they make.
This review is no different from his others. Everyone is giving the game a 10/10 without even once touching on a single issue the game has. Everyone is up this game's ass like it revolutionized gaming. If anything, most of the reviews for this game seem more like advertisements than actual reviews. There have been so few reviewers actually trying to give this game a review. And when they give an different score it's "clickbait" and or they are attacked for not giving into the 10/10 cult.

call me Ken or Accel

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Malaysia
Annndddd stamped Nintendo fans as "toxic" in my notebook

I see Jim Sterling as a "hero" in the video games review industry. He doesnt afraid to be honest with himself and to everyone else
Never be afraid of angry nerd with digital pitch forks and digital torches

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Do you even watch his videos? He rags on them for perfectly good reasons. He brings up the actual issues behind Nintendo and talks about those issues, instead of bowing before every fart they make.
This review is no different from his others. Everyone is giving the game a 10/10 without even once touching on a single issue the game has. Everyone is up this game's ass like it revolutionized gaming. If anything, most of the reviews for this game seem more like advertisements than actual reviews. There have been so few reviewers actually trying to give this game a review. And when they give an different score it's "clickbait" and or they are attacked for not giving into the 10/10 cult.
I don't watch his videos, no. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I don't like his personality or the schtick he does. As far as I can tell, he's set himself up as a troll/joke reviewer from the beginning, so he probably shouldn't be all that surprised when people don't take him seriously or he gets trolled right back.

7/10 is fair depending on subjective opinion, the bigger issue here is that it's impossible to know if he was being honest by labeling the game with that number or if he had other motivations for it (back to the troll/joke thing).

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Not surprised that people would stoop so low as to DDoS Jim Sterling and try to hijack his social media, the ultra Nintendo hardcore "fans" are literal cult members. Close minded, stupid, anti gaming, anti anything that slights Nintendo in the mildest of ways. I know them all to well, I have had to deal with that sort of crowd here on many occasions. I remember one time I posted a news article just before the Wii U was released that a lot of devs thought the Wii U was significantly underpowered. The backlash against me was both hilarious and disgusting, it was ironic that the news piece was firmly grounded in truth.

Nintendo fanboys are the worst and the Zelda zealots are the cream of that shit heap. Dealing with those sort of people for so many years has played a significant part in me losing my love for and being apathetic towards Nintendo.

I genuinely hate these sort of people. Go die in a fire if a review score offends your delicate sensibilities.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not surprised that people would stoop so low as to DDoS Jim Sterling and try to hijack his social media, the ultra Nintendo hardcore "fans" are literal cult members. Close minded, stupid, anti gaming, anti anything that slights Nintendo in the mildest of ways. I know them all to well, I have had to deal with that sort of crowd here on many occasions. I remember one time I posted a news article just before the Wii U was released that a lot of devs thought the Wii U was significantly underpowered. The backlash against me was both hilarious and disgusting, it was ironic that the news piece was firmly grounded in truth.

Nintendo fanboys are the worst and the Zelda zealots are the cream of that shit heap. Dealing with those sort of people for so many years has played a significant part in me losing my love for and being apathetic towards Nintendo.

I genuinely hate these sort of people. Go die in a fire if a review score offends your delicate sensibilities.

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about them :rofl2:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.