Jim Sterling Pro Reviewer and Youtube Personality DDOS'd Over 'Low' Score Zelda BotW Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by chavosaur, Mar 13, 2017.

1. chavosaur
    OP

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Breath of The Wild has enraptured fans and critics alike in the week since its launch. Touted as one of the greatest open world games in a decade, the most awesome Zelda since Ocarina of Time, and the most excellent video game to come out in recent memory.

Flawless and perfection are the adjectives that echo in everyone's words that talk about this newest iteration of Zelda. But not everyone has been echoing the same sentiment, and one man, in particular, is paying pretty dearly for his opinion.

Jim Sterling, known for his no-nonsense and polarizing views on the gaming industry, has taken fire for seemingly being responsible for Breath of The Wilds drop from 98 to 97 on Metacritic after publishing his review giving the game a 7/10. (Boy that sure looks familiar.)

Screenshot+2017-03-13+01.32.07.png

In the hours since publishing his review, Sterlings website has gone down and is currently inaccessible at the time of this writing. He has also received numerous public death threats and even has shared straw polls demanding he be hanged for his opinion.

Silencing criticism with DDoS's and hate speech is an unfortunate and unnecessary consequence of modern internet media. No one should be silenced for their opinion as everyone has a right to their views.

What does our community make of this recent news? How do you all feel about what happened to Sterling?

2. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    You have the right to free speech
    As long as
    You're not dumb enough to actually try it

Last edited by Marko76, Mar 13, 2017
  3. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Rabid Nintendo fans :rofl2:. Just sad.

4. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Yeah, it's shit. But given how influential this guy is, how many insane fans there are and the ease of doing something like this, it's somewhat inevitable. I'm sure there are many more people who would respectfully disagree, but those aren't nearly as vocal/newsworthy.

5. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    WTF seriously?! He didn't find the game as enjoyable as other people. Fucking deal with it. I personally feel the game is a 9/10, it was a longtime ago I really felt adventure in a game. It's not a perfect 10/10 on the otherhand for me. The framedrops are the issue here.

6. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    The people who DDOS'd him are just acting like children. Let the reviewer express his opinion.

spiderman1216, jDSX, DarthDub and 7 others like this.
  7. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    I don't agree with Jim Sterling on this but to DDoS him? That's just horrible. Everyone is entitled to their opinion!

8. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    DrkBeam and HaloEffect17 like this.
  9. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Serves him right. How dare he trash Zelda :angry:

kbmarinha, kehkou, zezzo and 5 others like this.
  10. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    Tempers will keep him safe.

infinete and VinsCool like this.
  11. DarkenedMatter

DarkenedMatter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2013
    United States
    I just feel like his opinion should be counted as a normal person on Metacritic. He's not anyone special imo so what gives him the credibility to be an "actual" critic?

MrJason005 likes this.
  12. VMM

VMM Hamon > Stand

GBAtemp Patron
    VMM is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 1, 2010
    Brazil
    I remember that the creator of Flappy Bird received death threats for the game been "too hard".
    Now people threaten a reviewer for a not fantastic score. What the hell is wrong with these people?

13. RaMon90

RaMon90 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 3, 2013
    Italy
    7/10? Wow, it isn't that bad.

Edit:i hope im not next lol

14. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Exactly. Sadly though, anything below 10/10 triggers people.

15. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Pfft, obvious clickbait review is obvious. All the other reviewers gave it a 10/10, so he's just shitting on the game to look edgy and "different". I bet he just looked at all the 0/10 user reviews on Metacritic and used those as complaints instead of beating it himself. He just doesn't understand the mechanics, maybe he should actually look at the game from an in-depth point of view (because obviously he hasn't if he doesn't like some of the mechanics LOL).

I bet he wrote this review while eating Pringles and drinking energy drinks LOL

:^)

16. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Many e-Celebs are critics whether on YouTube, RT, MetaCrtic or whatever. It's better not to take critics opinion face value because in the end, it's just another opinion.

Not so much the score number itself but his opinion, at least for me.

17. TobiasAmaranth

TobiasAmaranth GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    What a wuss. My items break, waaaaah. It's not as easy as other Zelda games, waaaaah. :P Well guess what? REAL LIFE IS HARD! This is good practice for learning how to manage assets efficiently! I know how to do that and GASP, I never run out of weapons. You also have to understand that, at times, RESOURCES GET TIGHT. That's. Life! XD

As for framerate drops, the only time I get lag is when the game chokes a bit on enemies-are-falling-a-long-way physics. Particularly with Moblins. I'm fairly sure they can manage to fix that one. And given how buggy most "AAA" titles tend to be on launch, be glad the only issues you've got are the framerate glitch and a few unobtainable treasure chests.

Shrines: 116
    Korok Seeds: 441 + ~125 (Only 441 are needed for all upgrades)
    Days played: 14 loooong days.
    Game: Unbeaten, still have about 5% of the world to explore.
    (PS: Where are the last 3 heart containers at?? :/ If they aren't at Hebra peak, then I'm confused...)

Cyan, netovsk, KINGMANI and 1 other person like this.
  18. DarkenedMatter

DarkenedMatter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2013
    United States
    Yeah, I understand. It's just that I never really cared or knew who he was until this. He just seems like a twat in general. He puts off a holier than thou vibe but idk.

Zense and Saiyan Lusitano like this.
  19. flame1234

flame1234 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 17, 2009
    United States
    The game still looks fun, even though it's out.
    You never knew "mountain climbing simulator" was fun until now. :)

That GameSpot guy was fired over low Nintendo Switch score.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  20. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Don't see why people are asking what makes him credible. What makes the reviwers at ign etc credible? They put a score out you agree with, so they are credible? We already know ign and the big sites are influenced by ads (not even speculation, someone literally got fired from Gamespot for giving a bad review to a game that was being heavily advertised).