Homebrew jEnesisDS screen cropping question

drag0nzord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im using jEnesisDS 0.74 and was noticing that a few games are not horizontally cropped like ninja turtles hyperstone heist and twin cobra

jenesis doesnt even let me move the screen left or right and the games looks great...not squished, down scaled , or cut off.

i dont quite understand. is a region thing?

i tried emailing the creator doubtful id get an answer and still no response. maybe someone could help me clear this up?

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've played Hyperstone Heist tons of times, and I can't believe I didn't notice that. The weird thing is that you CAN slide the screen left and right during 2 of the intro logo screens, but after that, it's locked. I'd like to know why this is as well.

drag0nzord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
injected11 said:
I've played Hyperstone Heist tons of times, and I can't believe I didn't notice that. The weird thing is that you CAN slide the screen left and right during 2 of the intro logo screens, but after that, it's locked. I'd like to know why this is as well.

yeah because if its some odd region format ill just have to try and download all of my games like that.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Damn, yeah. Keep us up to date on this strange discovery.

If I could get Shadowrun without the cropping, I'd be a happy camper...

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some games are designed to run in a mode with less horizontal resolution, though most games aren't. jEnesisDS should give you the option to scroll left and right when the game resolution truly does exceed that of the DS's.

choconado

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well yes, but I don't like even needing the option. You'd think that with a wide angled screen it'd be the vertical with problems...

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which is more important, fitting the entire game screen onto the DS's screen or playing games in full speed? You're more than welcome to try jEnesisDS v0.4a, SW renderer version, and your "can't squish the screen" problems will be over! Of course, you'll have to use a moderate amount of frameskip to play the game at full speed, without sound, and it's your call as to whether the game is more enjoyable that way or not.

choconado

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
no need to be snippy. OF COURSE I prefer regular speed and sound (though the latter is totally optional for me. I usually DON'T use sound when playing) But Hell, you'd think there'd still be a better solution. Like maybe shrinking the screen down and throwing up maybe a border thingie on the sides, ala Super Gameboy.

Or heck, I wouldn't mind a distorted screen that much, though that's a fairly lazy solution.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it was possible to shrink the screen horizontally at all while using the hardware renderer, the option would have been added to the emulator ages ago. It's simply not feasible due to the way in which the DS renders pixels on the screen. Using the software renderer allows you to modify the image before it gets painted to the screen, but the actual process of drawing the screen then takes up an enormous amount of CPU time, hence the slowdowns. It really is a "one or the other" thing here.

Also note that with the exception of games that already fit on the DS's screen, you're already seeing a distorted image (assuming you leave vertical scaling enabled, which it is by default). With most Genesis games, the rendered image is both wider and taller than the DS's resolution (looking purely at pixel count in both dimensions). Only the vertical resolution can be squished easily in the mode that provides the greatest speed. Simple as that.

drag0nzord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its nice to get this cleared up, before now i didnt even realize that they made some genesis games in different resolutions.

been trying to find a list just out of curiosity but havnt had any luck.

choconado

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I understand all this, but still, why wouldn't the zoom down like I said be a viable option. Like I said, throw up generic border blocks (even black screen) to compensate for the widescreen format of the ds, and have smaller window. The sort of thing is an option on Lameboy, for example...

drag0nzord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
choconado said:
I understand all this, but still, why wouldn't the zoom down like I said be a viable option. Like I said, throw up generic border blocks (even black screen) to compensate for the widescreen format of the ds, and have smaller window. The sort of thing is an option on Lameboy, for example...

lameboy can unzoom because the resolution of gameboy and gameboy color are significantly lower than the DS' screen while a genesis game just has too many pixles. in order to create this "unzoom" effect the DS would need more pixles than the source.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries