Japanese + Iphone = ???

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by JinTrigger, Mar 18, 2011.

1. JinTrigger
    OP

JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Lunesta/Mysteria
    So there is supposedly an "app for that" so I want to know if there are any decent apps that can aid in my learning of the Japanese.

2. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    The 2 best methods I've come across are to visit the country (immersion makes you learn quickly), or use Rosetta Stone (it's on PC, so I don't know if it has an iDevice port).

I've seen a few "language learning" apps on the Android market, but they suck. I imagine it's the same for iDevices.

3. overlord00

overlord00 A motherfucking birdplane

Sep 12, 2009
    Rosetta Stone also for OSX

apps that i happen to have; HiKaChan H, iKana Touch, "learn japanese vocabulary - word power", "survival phrases - Japanese"... are these any good.... not too sure... havnt tested them extensivly, are they what you are looking for.... i guess so....

4. hakujintanuki

hakujintanuki GBAtemp Regular

Aug 17, 2007
    "Japanese" by codefromtokyo.
    This is assuming your studies aren't from scratch.

It's a dictionary prog using the JMdict/EDICT/KANJIDIC2 databases which provides great translations, examples, and it uses an awesome touch interface to get more info on specific kanji, or see different compounds that use the same kanji.

It also supports the building of vocab lists to study in flash cards a la Letiner method (w/ stacks), and integrated JLPT vocab and kanji lists broken down by level.

It costs $9.99 in the US store, but it's totally worth it.

5. Wabsta

Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Apr 25, 2008
    Netherlands
    SCUMM Bar
    My Japanese Coach, like on the DS. It rules.
    It has lots of different lessons, it begins with the absolute basics, and, I think, Im not that far yet, ends with difficult stuff.
    Try it! [​IMG]