OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

QUOTE said:
Blockbuster movie Avatar has added to its impressive list of accomplishments - which to date include inducing suicidal despair, attracting Golden Globes, provoking civil unrest and creating a plethora of Pandoras - by killing a Taiwanese man overcome by the 3D experience.

According to AFP, the 42-year-old cinemagoer, surnamed Kuo, had a history of high blood pressure and suffered a stroke while watching the film in in the northern city of Hsinchu.

He was taken to hospital unconscious, where a scan revealed "his brain was haemorrhaging". He died 11 days later.

Emergency room doctor Peng Chin-chih told AFP: "It's likely that the over-excitement from watching the movie triggered his symptoms."

The China Times reported that the incident represented "the first death linked to watching James Cameron's science-fiction epic". ®
Source

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That man should have known that new technologies and innovation often cause overstimulation and should have skipped the movie for medical reasons.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The 3-D wasn't even that eye-popping. It was a great movie, but paying USD $15.25 to watch it in IMAX 3-D wasn't worth it to me. Even Michael Jackson's Captain EO had better 3-D, and that one came out 25 years ago.

zuron7 said:
Whoa.
Creepy things are happening nowadays.
But he's not the only one there are aroun 10,000 more peoplewanting to suicide because they want to live in Pandora.Google it if you don't believe me.
Now those people, I can call idiots.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why is this news? People die all the time. I'd be surprised if this guy is the only person that's died while watching this movie or as a result of something that happened while watching it. How many tickets has this movie sold worldwide? 250,000,000? Multiply that by the two hours or so that the movie takes up, and you have half a billion man hours spent watching this movie. How could humans spend that much time watching this movie without at least a few of them coincidentally dying?

EDIT: And yes, i made those figures up. I have no idea how many tickets the movie sold or how long it is, and I don't care.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
Why is this news? People die all the time. I'd be surprised if this guy is the only person that's died while watching this movie or as a result of something that happened while watching it. How many tickets has this movie sold worldwide? 250,000,000? Multiply that by the two hours or so that the movie takes up, and you have half a billion man hours spent watching this movie. How could humans spend that much time watching this movie without at least a few of them coincidentally dying?

EDIT: And yes, i made those figures up. I have no idea how many tickets the movie sold or how long it is, and I don't care.
It's grossed USD over $1,483,000,000 worldwide, so if you take the average price of a movie ticket to be somewhere around USD $10 (in my area it's $6.75 matinee, $10.25 regular showing and $15.25 for IMAX), that's over 148,300,000 viewings. At 162 minutes per viewing, it's over 64,866,420,000 man-minutes, or over 400,410,000 man-hours spent watching it. Your estimation is actually not bad!

Not that you care like you said, but just saying.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I won't blame the guy for dying while seeing the movie, but yet, it makes just as little sense to blame the movie FOR his death... Why is this news? A guy sees a movie, gets too excited, happens to be extremely hypertensive, and suffers a stroke. What's hard to figure out? This could happen with ANY action packed or eye popping movie. Honestly, i'd be surprised if this was a rare case.

The dumb and retarded thing is the article of course. The person who is responsible for it clearly doesn't like the movie. What kind of immature jackass blames a movie for making someone so excited that they die from a condition they ALREADY have?! Foolish.

How about a list of things that could potentially cause dead from hypertension-
- sex
- exciting theme park rides
- watching ANY movie
- doing nothing
- anger

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought there was some rumor that The Ring killed a man due to a sudden scare scene and him, being some old fart, died from a heart attack. Any type of stimulus can trigger a heart attack, especially to a man in his condition. You could have just as easily had The Dark Knight kill him, or Star Trek, or even fucking Armored (which was pretty bad).

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Densetsu3000 said:
Ace Gunman said:
This story has a certain ring to it. A person sees a movie and sev--sorry, eleven days later dies? If only I could remember. Oh well (alright, that one was a stretch
tongue.gif
).
I see what you did there.
Hehe, me too
laugh.gif

I'm afraid I still lol'd at this story though
rofl.gif
Reminds me of the story about someone who died due to laughing for half an hour because of watching The Goodies...

imz

GBAtemp's vigilante
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wow I never thought this could happen, after all I saw avatar and didn't think the 3D was all that. If you'd never watched a 3D film before then I could understand your shock but to me it wasn't much more impressive than watching it in 2D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1