Hacking Jailbroken PS3 External Hard Drive Maximum Capacity?

showdownx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know you can format FAT32 over 2TB's now. What is the maximum capacity an external hard drive that will work for Jailbroken PS3?

showdownx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. See I heard the maximum was 8TB. But there are mix results on the web, and it got me confuse.

2TB is no longer the FAT32 limit, I have some 4TB WD My Books formatted in FAT32 using GUI formater and Easus. I heard you can format a FAT32 external HDD up to 8TB even 16TB now. Question is...will the PS3 read the whole thing? And have anyone tested this and was successful?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
2TB is no longer the FAT32 limit,
They never had a 2 TB limit, neither MBR nor FAT32: both have a 4 terasector limit - it just happens that for most disks, sectors are 512 bytes (that's not true for 4Kn drives, for example)

Now, a non-negligible amount of software has been written on the false assumption that a sector must be 512 bytes...

brollikk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the ONLY way to go is western digital mybook/elements external hard drives. they can easily be formatted into MBR/fat32 (with the help of Wd's format utility and gui formatter)

you can then use split isos and use huge drives for the ps3. I have a 4tb external myself and it works absolutely flawlessly. split iso fixes every single problem.

Reactions: showdownx

MasterZoilus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.5TB for internal is the max

you can actually use NTFS for external , just read it using the file manager in MANAGUNZ game manager. There I have been able to read 2TB and
4TB NTFS drives. BUT transfer rates average from 10MB/s to about 12MB/s

For FAT32 I only go up to 2TB because more than that when using FAT32, it's a gamble. Maybe it will read it , maybe it won't. But Fat32 transfer rates like through multiman
for me are usually around 18MB/s to around 20MB/s so definitely faster but you gotta deal with the 4GB limit thing.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Or get a 2 bay gigabit NAS and stick a couple of 10tb drives in it. Format it with whatever file system you want.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: showdownx

showdownx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the ONLY way to go is western digital mybook/elements external hard drives. they can easily be formatted into MBR/fat32 (with the help of Wd's format utility and gui formatter)

you can then use split isos and use huge drives for the ps3. I have a 4tb external myself and it works absolutely flawlessly. split iso fixes every single problem.

1.5TB for internal is the max

you can actually use NTFS for external , just read it using the file manager in MANAGUNZ game manager. There I have been able to read 2TB and
4TB NTFS drives. BUT transfer rates average from 10MB/s to about 12MB/s

For FAT32 I only go up to 2TB because more than that when using FAT32, it's a gamble. Maybe it will read it , maybe it won't. But Fat32 transfer rates like through multiman
for me are usually around 18MB/s to around 20MB/s so definitely faster but you gotta deal with the 4GB limit thing.

Sorry for taking so long to reply. My games are not in iso format, they're in folder format. Do I still need to worry about the 4tb limit and split iso's?

brollikk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for taking so long to reply. My games are not in iso format, they're in folder format. Do I still need to worry about the 4tb limit and split iso's?
Folder format has one issue - which is that it sometimes contains single files that are greater than 4GB. Using a fat 32 formatted drive, it will not allow you to transfer the game into the drive. If you can get NTFS to work for you then great. Otherwise split iso and fat 32 all the way.

showdownx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Folder format has one issue - which is that it sometimes contains single files that are greater than 4GB. Using a fat 32 formatted drive, it will not allow you to transfer the game into the drive. If you can get NTFS to work for you then great. Otherwise split iso and fat 32 all the way.

NTFS drives work for the PS3?

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought NTFS was only for transferring files not playing games but I could be wrong. I just used ManaGunz to transfer a game over 4 gb to the internal hdd with NTFS. Internal doesn't have a 4 gb limit. For at least transferring files it's a lot easier to use ManaGunZ because it reads NTFS by default. Multiman depending on the NTFS drive you have to do a wordpad document about the serial number and crap so I just use ManaGunz for that purpose.

Also not sure if OP cares about playing PS2 games but those are required to be played from the internal hdd, as well as any PS3 game data you install or PSN game you install, so you might want to consider upgrading it at some point. PS3 ISOs and PS1 ISOs can be played from external.

Last edited by ,

brollikk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quoting myself from another thread...

you want a WD hard drive formatted MBR and FAT 32 (i posted an instructional somehwere in this forum) all in one huge partition. Reason being NTFS only supports ISO format whereas FAT32 supports all formats (folder or ISO). Only issue is that fat32 has a 4gb file size limit, so you have to use split isos. Use ps3splitter to do this after downloading games in folder format. Nearly all my games are in this format and they run flawlessly. I took advice from a brazilian guy who posted in one of these threads who also ran into tons of problems trying ntfs as well as pure folder format. SPLIT ISO IS THE WAY TO GO ON A HUGE FAT 32/MBR PARTITION.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

NTFS works but won't recognize folder format - that is why fat32 is superior. Just need to convert the games on your pc using ps3splitter.

showdownx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quoting myself from another thread...

you want a WD hard drive formatted MBR and FAT 32 (i posted an instructional somehwere in this forum) all in one huge partition. Reason being NTFS only supports ISO format whereas FAT32 supports all formats (folder or ISO). Only issue is that fat32 has a 4gb file size limit, so you have to use split isos. Use ps3splitter to do this after downloading games in folder format. Nearly all my games are in this format and they run flawlessly. I took advice from a brazilian guy who posted in one of these threads who also ran into tons of problems trying ntfs as well as pure folder format. SPLIT ISO IS THE WAY TO GO ON A HUGE FAT 32/MBR PARTITION.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

NTFS works but won't recognize folder format - that is why fat32 is superior. Just need to convert the games on your pc using ps3splitter.

It look like this is the way to go. You said you posted the instructions somewhere in the forum? Can you please provide the link?

Reactions: Retinal_FAILURE

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D +1