United States
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone,

I'm curious - has anyone here tried this thing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JACK-DIY-GB...005?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf49a4e1d

I plan to do some DIY GB Flash Carts, but before I ruin too many perfectly good cartridges, nevermind just the effort and energy involved, if these things work well, it might be worth picking one up.

Thoughts?

I have one and I love it, it's a perfect clone of an Everdrive GB. It even has the everdrive logo printed on the PCB.

Unless you can get the eBay seller to come down on the price this one is less expensive.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...h-cartridge-with-SD-interface/2055380860.html

Same seller I bought mine from.

ncc74656m

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
Since this is a clone Everdrive, wouldn't it be better to support the creator Krikzz and buy an original Everdrive from his store? I know it's more expensive, but he works really hard creating these products and has excellent after sales support.
http://shop.krikzz.com/

Reactions: Grim Ripper
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Since this is a clone Everdrive, wouldn't it be better to support the creator Krikzz and buy an original Everdrive from his store? I know it's more expensive, but he works really hard creating these products and has excellent after sales support.
http://shop.krikzz.com/

Actually there is some contention as to whether or not they are really clones as the PCB is identical to my actual Everdrive, the only difference being the shell it comes in.

Jockel

This is where you're wrong, kiddo
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just a heads-up, DON'T buy any other ED clones. They all suck, support far less games, can't be updated and break quickly.
From all I've heard the Jack DIY is ok, though. Not ethically of course, but I dunno. If you're using it for piracy, it's morally questionable anyways.

Reactions: ncc74656m

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually there is some contention as to whether or not they are really clones as the PCB is identical to my actual Everdrive, the only difference being the shell it comes in.
No it's definitely a clone;
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=2621.0
It's very easy to make an identical PCB, you can even create a 1:1 copy by scanning the bare board directly into a PCB creation program.

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
No it's definitely a clone;
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=2621.0
It's very easy to make an identical PCB, you can even create a 1:1 copy by scanning the bare board directly into a PCB creation program.

A price difference of $31 between the clone and the original might not be much for some folks but that's dinner for my family of 6.

I know devs also like food so it's quite a grey area when it comes to buying devices to pirat...I mean play backups of your games and homebrew.

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
I understand, and much of this site is about 'grey areas'...

However personally I just find it hard to justify buying a clone in this instance, since this isn't some big company or a faceless group (Gateway) but just one guy in the Ukraine (a war zone no less!) who is trying to earn a living and support his family - So i'm happy to pay the extra and support his hard work, and I hope he continues creating Everdrives for years to come.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I understand, and much of this site is about 'grey areas'...

However personally I just find it hard to justify buying a clone in this instance, since this isn't some big company or a faceless group (Gateway) but just one guy in the Ukraine (a war zone no less!) who is trying to earn a living and support his family - So i'm happy to pay the extra and support his hard work, and I hope he continues creating Everdrives for years to come.

I have purchased some of his product before, very nice stuff. I'm excited for the GBA Everdrive, hope it has flash memory saving for the Pokemon games. Otherwise it's not going to be much different from my EZ-Flash IV.

Reactions: Razor83

ncc74656m

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game piracy for systems that aren't produced or supported anymore doesn't bother me. Original developers aren't making money off them anymore, you know?

Obviously, new homebrew games and programs like LSDJ are an exception to this, and should be wholly supported. That's not what I mean, though, of course.

Anyway, thanks for mentioning that this is just an EDGB clone - I'll probably just pick up a real ED in that case. I do prefer to support the original developer, and nowadays I have a few extra dollars I can spare on such things.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Game piracy for systems that aren't produced or supported anymore doesn't bother me. Original developers aren't making money off them anymore, you know

you are right.. they dont get money anymore directly... and lots of times it makes a person actually buy the next ones.. (i played zelda games, i liked, and bought the new ones.. if i didnt played them before i would think twice on purchase them..)
piracy does help selling the new games...

however they do somwhat suffer indirectly..

you can't forget.. trading is the foundation of the economy...
this said.. most of us (players) at some point we sold old games in order to buy new ones...
if no one buys my old games because they can easily adquire them via pirating (and emulators are superior) i can't afford to keep up with new games always coming out.. therefore i must purchase them at much later time because i can't afford them..

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hold your horses, mister. If you want a reliable flashcart, don't go for the chinese clones - they all suck and they're not worth the money you're saving. Get a genuine Everdrive GB, the cart is excellent, I reviewed it myself. Support the creators, not the imitators. If you wouldn't buy a "Zony" TV rather than a Sony TV, you shouldn't buy an "Eberdrive" instead of an "Everdrive" if you want quality.

If you want to make a proper DIY GB cartridge I suggest browsing this site, it has everything you need to know including schematics and software. It doesn't take much, all you need is a cartridge with a desirable mapper, a compatible rewrittable memory module, a soldering iron and some patience. It even has schematics for cartridges that can be made completely from scratch.

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I am so m
Hold your horses, mister. If you want a reliable flashcart, don't go for the chinese clones - they all suck and they're not worth the money you're saving. Get a genuine Everdrive GB, the cart is excellent, I reviewed it myself. Support the creators, not the imitators. If you wouldn't buy a "Zony" TV rather than a Sony TV, you shouldn't buy an "Eberdrive" instead of an "Everdrive" if you want quality.

If you want to make a proper DIY GB cartridge I suggest browsing this site, it has everything you need to know including schematics and software. It doesn't take much, all you need is a cartridge with a desirable mapper, a compatible rewrittable memory module, a soldering iron and some patience. It even has schematics for cartridges that can be made completely from scratch.
I am so miffed as to why clone=garbage in everyone's eyes. If the quality and functionality is similar why does it matter? I have heard the horror stories from some everdrive clone owners but mine is still truckin' after a year and a half.

I do own a legit everdrive GB and wanted a second for multiplayer but couldn't justify throwing down another $80. This one works for what I need it to.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I am so m

I am so miffed as to why clone=garbage in everyone's eyes. If the quality and functionality is similar why does it matter? I have heard the horror stories from some everdrive clone owners but mine is still truckin' after a year and a half.

I do own a legit everdrive GB and wanted a second for multiplayer but couldn't justify throwing down another $80. This one works for what I need it to.
I have two reasons for buying originals rather than knock-offs - safety and support. This scene has seen many a stories unfold where knock-offs either didn't work right or downright broke a system. Remember Gateway clones? Bricking across the board. R4 clones? More than you can count, some unupdatable, some with no support at all. By buying a real Everdrive I know that I get a quality product and I know that I'm supporting a hard-working dev (who's a pretty cool dude btw, really nice guy), I choose that over lining cloner pockets with money. ;)

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I bought ohne of those DIY Jack clones, apparently. It took 4 weeks to arrive and then it didn't work. So I ordered an original EDGB which arrived the next day (less than 24 hours) and that one is working fine.

GBAResearcher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry for reviving this old thread but I feel it's still very relevant. I just received a clone from a seller on aliexpress just like Monty Kensicle did. It plays roms fine but the game genie function doesn't work. It doesn't save the cheats even when you load them from a text file.
Also you cannot update the firmware. I'm assuming that they cheapened out on a non rewritable chip on which the firmware is stored.

Don't make the mistake of buying a clone. Get the real deal so you can know for sure that it will work 100%.

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm sorry for reviving this old thread but I feel it's still very relevant. I just received a clone from a seller on aliexpress just like Monty Kensicle did. It plays roms fine but the game genie function doesn't work. It doesn't save the cheats even when you load them from a text file.
Also you cannot update the firmware. I'm assuming that they cheapened out on a non rewritable chip on which the firmware is stored.

Don't make the mistake of buying a clone. Get the real deal so you can know for sure that it will work 100%.
If your clone has a replacable CR battery, try swapping it for a fresh one - it might work. Then again, if it was the battery, you'd be losing saves aswell, unless it immediately copies them to the SD card.

Reactions: GBAResearcher

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Just to clarify: the real EDGB does not have a flashable firmware, either. Firmware updates are loaded on boot.

Reactions: GBAResearcher

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey