Homebrew Issues with SNEmulDS

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I want to emulate SNES games on my Acekard2i with the current AKAIO firmware, on a DSi. Unfortunately, for the life of me, I can't get this to work.

I downloaded both the .4 and the .6 (I'm bad with numbers, lol) and neither version is running smoothly. Street Fighter has lots of issues, and in the most recent release of the emulator I've tried multiple rom sources to no avail. The white background screen shows through on the top, so when the spinning logo appears, the game screen is offset and pushed into the lower right corner. Then, the cursor on the start menu is weird, it doesn't show up next to the "GAME START" option like it should. It does appear next to the VS and OPTIONS options. When I select OPTIONS, it brings me to a glitched "GAME START" screen and the character sprites don't show in battle.
The VS option goes into VS but the screen is glitched with random letters and numbers. When I try to select the GAME START option, it brings me to the options menu instead. Also, in battle, about a centimeter of the top of the screen is missing, so it barely shows the HP bar.

The older version of the emulator works a little bit better, but not by much, I can't seem to fix the graphics, they flicker like crazy, and they aren't positioned as they should be.

Am I missing something vital? The emulator reads the roms, it's just doing a crappy job. The roms are in the same folder as the emulator itself. Is there a compatibility issue that I just don't know about? Another emulator that's good to try? (I've searched google to no avail, broken links, binary files, etc)

I know the emulator itself is one game file according to the computer, but I copied over ALL the contents from the zips I got to the SNES folder on my acekard.

The newer version I got was the one linked here http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=154...t=0&start=0 the older version was on the SNEmulDS website.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Sadly SNES emulation on DS is far from perfect, and that's why a lot of games like Street Fighter can hardly be played
You may wanna try tinkering with the graphical settings but that probably won't help much, sorry :\.

Xarsah16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I also just tried working Mario Kart SNES on both versions of the emulator and they both just get stuck on the NINTENDO logo. This disappoints me as well, are there any fixes? I know that it's far from perfect, but to have an emulator that doesn't emulate games is just pathetic, unfortunately.

Xarsah16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well obviously I'm missing something vital then. And I honestly had no idea. So please don't yell at me (CAPS LOCK on the internet is considered yelling), I know I'm a n00b compared to some users here and in the homebrew scene, but I do know myself that I know a lot more about emulating than the average joe off the street. I don't know what game has what chips, etc, though.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The previous poster is right, SNES emulation on the DS is not perfect, and there are going to be graphical glitches due to the method of emulation used, which is necessary to maintain full speed. The good thing is that most of the graphical settings can be configured, however this does require you to spend some time learning what each option does.

For the one issue you're having, v0.6 defaults to chopping off the bottom of the screen rather than centering it for some reason. Go to the graphics options to either change it to center, or alternatively scale the screen to squish it into the DS's resolution. Other graphical settings can be fixed by either changing the layering order or by messing around in the GFX Config in the advanced settings (the "BG3 block priority" option is always a good one to try first, instantly fixes Super Metroid map for instance).

More than likely you're trying to play a game that SNEmulDS simply can't emulate properly. This happens sometimes, and you'll have to get used to it. There are two partial compatibility lists online, one on the GBATemp wiki and one on the PocketHeaven wiki, and I'd check both of those to see if you can get games to be more playable. In the PocketHeaven one in particular, the bottom half of the page has additional notes on specific games that can often be very helpful. The PHWiki article on SNEmulDS itself has a list of the various options and what they do, and although they are for v0.5b and not v0.6a, most of the options are the same or similar (most important is that "wait vblank"/"no vblank" is now "normal speed"/"fast speed").

Also check http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNES_games_with_special_chips for a list of games that will never run on any SNES emulator for the GBA or DS.

Unoalpho

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea most snes emulators have problems running certain games like Super Mario Rpg, Mario Kart,Mortal kombatand some others I hope they fix it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F