Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PharaohsVizier said:
The EZ Flash Vi is one of those hidden gems. It is a great cart to use, and very competitive with the AceKard 2i. Being similar in price, having a menu that is similar in speed, and has a few features on top, there's a good reason to buy the iSmart and the EZ Flash Vi over the AceKard 2i. Depending on your preference you can go either way and do no wrong.

I would like to respectfully disagree with you. The iSmart:

- Has an in-game menu providing real time save/guide that freezes continuously. Offering the feature is one thing, having it work is another. There is no particular game or set of circumstances causing it to happen, but it happens so often and on so many games that the features may as well be useless.

- The homebrew compatibility is awful. If you just want to pirate vanilla DS games, the cart is fine. If you want to do anything else that a flashcart is expected to offer, you're mostly out of luck.

- The Acekard menu is still more customizable to user preference, especially in ways like how the games can be displayed.

..and that's just off the top of my head after putting it through the paces the past few days. If the EZVi is similar, it is most certainly not a hidden gem, nor even comparable to the Acekard 2i. The iSmart is being branded as an AK2i killer -- it's so far from that, that the claim is just funny.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iSmart kernel runs on my EZV (both old non + or i version and EZ5i w/ latest firmware)... Put ez5sys.bin or ez5isys.bin if you're using an EZVi w/ latest firmware on the root of your SD and rename the system directory for the iSmart to ez5shell and blam, I now own an iSmart too!

Edit: Wish I had an iSmart to test if it can run the EZV kernels.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KidIce said:
iSmart kernel runs on my EZV (both old non + or i version and EZ5i w/ latest firmware)... Put ez5sys.bin or ez5isys.bin if you're using an EZVi w/ latest firmware on the root of your SD and rename the system directory for the iSmart to ez5shell and blam, I now own an iSmart too!

Edit: Wish I had an iSmart to test if it can run the EZV kernels.
Well, this is quite normal. The kernel IS the file ez5isys.bin or ez5sys.bin.
It's the main file. When you start an ez5 or ez5i it's the first file loaded.
What you do is use the ez5 or ez5i main file to run the iSmart kernel.

Are you able to see the iSmart menu with your trick ?

05-menu01.png

I doubt you can.
wink.gif

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mbmax said:
Well, this is quite normal. The kernel IS the file ez5isys.bin or ez5sys.bin.
It's the main file. When you start an ez5 or ez5i it's the first file loaded.
What you do is use the ez5 or ez5i main file to run the iSmart kernel.

None of this is news to me. The whole point of testing the iSmart kernel on an EZ5 and my post was to prove that the claims that the cart is an EZV clone are true.

QUOTE(Mbmax @ Aug 29 2010, 10:29 AM) Are you able to see the iSmart menu with your trick ?

05-menu01.png

I doubt you can.
wink.gif

Obviously, it's not in the EZV's firmware (something I'm glad about mind). Another quirk of the different firmware is that the soft reset menu has an EZV backdrop while using the iSmart kernel on an EZV.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KidIce said:
The whole point of testing the iSmart kernel on an EZ5 and my post was to prove that the claims that the cart is an EZV clone are true.
Because you doubted about PharaohsVizer's post ?
He seems to have much more information than me on this subject.
wink.gif

Now all i can see in this thread is people speculated on this flashcart.
Let Another World and PharaohViziers finish their full review before jump on the gun.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mbmax said:
KidIce said:
The whole point of testing the iSmart kernel on an EZ5 and my post was to prove that the claims that the cart is an EZV clone are true.
Because you doubted about PharaohsVizer's post ?

Not at all, that's what lead me to downloading and running the iSmart kernel. The point was to prove it to myself as much as anyone else and just the sheer curiosity of how close of a clone this thing was.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
i'm just wondering if the ismart would have the same annoying problem over time that i had with my ezvi (which i won from you, PharaohsVizier
tongue.gif
) where after a few days/weeks of use it would frequently stop being recognized by the dsi

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
XXLANCEXX said:
They Need To Make A Dummy Flashcart with IR in the Cart for Pokemon Black and White, HG/SS, and other games that use IR technology
there's a homebrew cart with bluetooth if that sort of thing floats your boat ;p

but really, adding small, useless hardware to flashcards for a mere one or two games seems wasteful...

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
mercluke said:
PharaohsVizier said:
I think that would be a cart problem XD
yeah, that's what i was getting at, i wonder if the build quality of the shell of the iSmart is a bit better
tongue.gif
The build quality is better in my opinion but it still suffers the shoddy contact issues of the ezvi. I have to put paper in behind my ismartds for it to show in my dsi/dsixl and my dsphat.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mercluke said:
XXLANCEXX said:
They Need To Make A Dummy Flashcart with IR in the Cart for Pokemon Black and White, HG/SS, and other games that use IR technology
there's a homebrew cart with bluetooth if that sort of thing floats your boat ;p

but really, adding small, useless hardware to flashcards for a mere one or two games seems wasteful...

And yet people bitch that the [insert GBA flash cart here] doesn't have an RTC.

Oh wait, the sacred word "Pokemon" has been uttered. Never mind then. Carry on.

ismartds

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.ismartds.com
XP
Country
United States
Normmatt said:
mercluke said:
PharaohsVizier said:
I think that would be a cart problem XD
yeah, that's what i was getting at, i wonder if the build quality of the shell of the iSmart is a bit better
tongue.gif
The build quality is better in my opinion but it still suffers the shoddy contact issues of the ezvi. I have to put paper in behind my ismartds for it to show in my dsi/dsixl and my dsphat.

We are taking care of the issue now. We should be able to fix the contact issue with the production units that we are sending out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Lonely here