iSmart Premium Hands-on Impressions

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Aug 28, 2010.

Aug 28, 2010
  1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    [​IMG] iSmart Premium Hands-on Impressions
    NEW NDS Flash Kit
    [​IMG]

The iSmart Premium by iSmartDS has arrived and is currently being tested for a full GBATemp review. Until the review is complete take a moment to read through the "hands-on" impressions. Be sure to post any comments after the "hands-on" post, posted below.

[​IMG] Hands-on Impressions Post
    [​IMG] Discuss

2. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    [​IMG]
    The iSmart Premium from iSmartDS is a new entry into the DSi Flash Kit $12-$15 category. The card supports the DS, DS Lite, DSi, and DSi XL (LL). The iSmartDS Team has included an in-game menu which offers save-states, in-game guides, and NDS soft-reseting. The card boasts an Anti-Piracy routine which should allow all current and expected anti-piracy measures to be circumvented, similar to the SCDS2 but without the on-board CPU. In addition, the development team has stated that the card supports faster read speeds, a "smart" save file size detection routine, action replay cheats, multi-lingual support, and more.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The iSmart Premium supports a variety of skin-able options which include not only the theme itself but button placement as well. The iSmart Premium skins are backwards compatible with the EZ Vi Flash Kit. While they are stored as a .DAT formatted file no official iSmartDS skinning tool has been released.

[​IMG]
    The software [kernel] boots into an introductory screen much like the SCDS2. This initial menu allows the user to choose from various system settings. The system settings include system language, rumble strength, 3in1 mode (rumble, GBA link), and theme selections. Users can also boot NDS files from this initial menu or GBA files via a supported external EZ 3in1 expansion kit. EZ 3in1 options include Nor-flashing, PSRAM flashing, and cancel. Moonshell can also be launched from this initial menu screen as well, if the software is present on the microSD card.

[​IMG]
    Booting into the "Nintendo DS Games" option loads the theme and provides the user with more options and the ability to launch ROMs and Homebrew. These additional options include softreset, real-time save, in-game guide, cheats, and download play (on/off). Once these options have been set they will be saved on a per-ROM basis, meaning there are no global variables for adjusting these options, something I hope to see changed in a future software update.

The in-game menu key combination is L+R+Select. The key combination works most of the time but tends to fail at random. Failures were experienced on the same ROMs run in different circumstances with different options enabled. The in-game menu appears to behave a bit buggy during initial testing, something I hope the iSmartDS Team can iron out by the next software release. The most commonly used feature, soft-reset, is trapped in the in-game menu resulting in some frustration as my DS Lite and DS XL had to be power-cycled more often than not. The menu appears to also suffer from navigation sensitivity, pressing DOWN for example will sometimes result in options being skipped over as the highlight bar jumps directly to the bottom of the options listing. The softreset option reboots the software back to the top-most menu, something for which I faulted the SCDS2 Team in my review. As softreset only supports NDS ROMs and not Homebrew it makes no sense that the software does not simply reboot back to the NDS ROM directory. However, without a way to go back to the top most menu (hitting B to go back would be a welcome edition) the soft-reset is actually a software soft-reset that happens to be launched from the in-game menu which can only be accessed while playing an NDS ROM.

NDS ROM compatibly was very high during initial testing, while some popular NDS Homebrew files failed to load at all. However, while some problems have been experienced a full round of testing has yet to be completed. The software shows great ROM support at this point, especially with the included anti-piracy patching routines. As some of you may know, I am a Homebrew enthusiast, and I will make sure to put this card through its paces for the full review.

The team will be releasing source code/SDK, but no further information has been made public. The question as to the reason behind a source code release will be tackled in the full review.

For more information on this new company and their Flash Kit check the homepage link below. Be sure to post any questions in the thread below. I'll do my best to answer any questions or save answers for the full review (pending a query of the official team).

[​IMG] Homepage

3. popoffka

Member popoffka GBAtemp Fan

Latvia
    Well, this looks just like an EZVi with a little bit changed booting sequence.
    Same menu, same features, same compatibility problems...

4. 1Player

Member 1Player GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This reminds me of the iedge
    iedge = cycloDS
    ismart = EZ Flash

it's a clone but it's not a clone

5. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Is the cart's firmware updatable, in case of DSi update?

6. Dionysus

Member Dionysus GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Your not actually going to consider buying it are you? [​IMG]

7. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    Thats so mean!

8. Mbmax

Member Mbmax Homebrew addicted

Antarctica
    I remember you on the USA forum. Yeah you are right the DLDI driver really need to be improved on EZ5i.
    Homebrews compatibility could be better, i agree.
    About the ismart premium, i have really no idea. I'm still waiting for a sample to test that. [​IMG]

For now we can't say, don't you think ?

9. Fluto

Member Fluto A potato in disguise

Australia
    fascinating this works on dsi

YAY 500 POSTS WOOOOO [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    it means it works on DSi,not use the features of it though

11. gifi4

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    another flash cart, wonder if it will have good firmware releases.

12. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    but there kernal is open source so a unoffical one could be made.

13. gifi4

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    Yeah but for example, The original R4's firmware died at 1.18 then YSmenu got released, that died shortly after (but people are updating it now days.) And now the Wood Firmware from YWG. It took a while to get this far so if the support for this flashcart dies, it might be pretty useless for a while.

14. Neo_Ch!p

Newcomer Neo_Ch!p Advanced Member

United States
    That depends if its worth getting, the iSmart team claims they have experience in the flashcard industry in their homepage however it seems as though they want a "free ride" at gaining profits by imitating the acekard franchise, its really quite obvious if you ponder on their motives. They release their SDK [Acekard move], maintain in the $12-15 range [Currently at the AceKard price], provide minimal features [that have bugs] and its a gd clone.

Clearly they want in on AceKard's "money train"...

Btw I'd like to throw this out, of all the names you can brand your product why "iSmart"? Names like "G6", "M3" and AceKard sound cool and simple instead of the worned out "i" placed in almost every word [ex: DSi, iplayer, ihome, iCook etc.]

15. Mbmax

Member Mbmax Homebrew addicted

Antarctica
    I doubt the ak RPG was at this price when acekard team released it. [​IMG]

16. N4RU70 FR34K

Banned N4RU70 FR34K Banned

United States
    Know I can finally replace my acekard LOL.

17. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    it is pretty cheap but the only thing tht remains is firmware which is probably the most important thing

18. ThatDudeWithTheFood

Member ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

United States
    Good clone its a clone but its better than those crappy ones who only give one firmware update ever or repackage the same one....

19. AceKard2i_n00b

Newcomer AceKard2i_n00b Member

United States
    Why would you replace an AceKard with this? This thing is pretty much an EZVi. Could hae got one of those a YEAR AGO!
    Unless you have the Original AceKard, like the on that came before the RPG...

On the topic, the only way I'm getting this is if has some really good firmware and is under $10. Yeah, I know that sonds cheapy, but with my AceKard 2i and AceKard 2i Clone, I'm fine.

20. N4RU70 FR34K

Banned N4RU70 FR34K Banned

United States
    I hate my acekard I wish I could use my M3 Real but none of the updates work [​IMG]