Gaming Is zelda worth it

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Zelda for DS is a game that was designed with the casual gamer in mind. It's much simpler and linear than other Zelda games. It was purposely made relatively easy to appeal to a wide range of audiences. Anybody complaining about this needs to remember - the DS is in the position it is because of this wide, mainstream appeal.
fuck that, the GameBoy was mainstream too, but Link's Awakening still was a very challenging game...
what's happening to the videogames? :'(
also, why does Nintendo think that a mainstream audience can't solve challenging puzzles? solving puzzles doesn't require any gaming experience...

gameboy was nowhere near as mainstream as the DS is. By mainstream I mean girls and older people playing. The casual audience will often get frustrated with a game where they get stuck and give up, they're not looking for a challenge. You'll find nintendo games are going to get easier and easier to suit the casual/mainstream audience.

get an xbox360 if you want challenging, big games. that's what I'm doing
wink.gif

Arne

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
the game is great but the controls are possibily the worst ever for a ds game

You don't know what you're talking about. The controls are one of the best i've encountered on a handheld. Intuitive is the right word. It's no surprise they are praised in allmost every review i've red.
Maybe you can't play with these controls, i dont know ... but saying the controls are one of the worst ....?

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Best game I've played on the DS.. the length is about the same as Minish Cap and it plays a lot like Wind Waker. The game explores every bit of the DS hardware to the maximum and the controls are great, very intuitive, really can't see why people are complaining..

bradigor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Never really got to play many Zelda games before due to various reasons (usually work) but this is absolutely amazing. I shall be getting Minish Cap when I am done. Started it but never got to finish.

damnet

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Zelda for DS is a game that was designed with the casual gamer in mind. It's much simpler and linear than other Zelda games. It was purposely made relatively easy to appeal to a wide range of audiences. Anybody complaining about this needs to remember - the DS is in the position it is because of this wide, mainstream appeal.
fuck that, the GameBoy was mainstream too, but Link's Awakening still was a very challenging game...
also, why does Nintendo think that a mainstream audience can't solve challenging puzzles? solving puzzles doesn't require any gaming experience...

Damn I hate these damn casual gamers... they're ruining gaming(and making a lot of money for nintendo of course)... another good franchise dumbed down to appeal to them, hell if someone finds a game to be too complicated let him/her go play the sims or something...... there are enough casual games on the DS already(pretty much 90% of all catalog), why did they had to dumb down zelda??, it was the only game on the DS I expected to have some good dept, yeah fine, they're making a bunch of cash releasing all those crappy casual games, but they can't just forget about the REAL gamers... is it really that linear? man that sucks beyond comprehension...

I just hope the DS can see another zelda game in it's life time(soon to be over, I give it another year till nintendo announces it's successor), not likely though, and even if it does it'll be another fuckin casual gamer oriented thing....

the same thing happened with the elder scrolls series, they've dumbed down the damn thing so much that it was unbearable to any true fan to play oblivion without about 100 mods to right the wrongs...

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil

Damn I hate these damn casual gamers... they're ruining gaming(and making a lot of money for nintendo of course)... another good franchise dumbed down to appeal to them, hell if you find a game too complicated go play the sims or something...... there are enough casual games on the DS already(pretty much 90% of all catalog), why did they had to dumb down zelda??, it was the only game on the DS I expected to have some good dept, yeah fine, they're making a bunch of cash releasing all those crappy casual games, but they can't just forget about the REAL gamers... is it really that linear? man that sucks beyond comprehension...

I just hope the DS can see another zelda game in it's life time(soon to be over, I give it another year till nintendo announces it's successor), not likely though, and even if it does it'll be another fuckin casual gamer oriented thing....

the same thing happened with the elder scrolls series, they've dumbed down the damn thing so much that it was unbearable to any true fan to play oblivion without about 100 mods to right the wrongs...

Play the game before go out criticizing it.. the game is as linear as Wind Waker..

IMO "casual gamming" is just a buzzword, there's no way to define what a "casual" game is.. I play a lot of game considered casual and a lot of games considered "hardcore", as long as I can have fun with the game, I don't care.

choupette

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
whatever the game is, there are always unstatisfied people.
it happens especially to people who have known a series of game for a long time, they are not happy with the fact other people could actually discover and enjoy it.
it's quite dramatic, and so starts the "it was better before" song, a long and boring one.
castlevania, metroid prime, mario, zelda, final fantasy, for example.

damnet

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

Damn I hate these damn casual gamers... they're ruining gaming(and making a lot of money for nintendo of course)... another good franchise dumbed down to appeal to them, hell if you find a game too complicated go play the sims or something...... there are enough casual games on the DS already(pretty much 90% of all catalog), why did they had to dumb down zelda??, it was the only game on the DS I expected to have some good dept, yeah fine, they're making a bunch of cash releasing all those crappy casual games, but they can't just forget about the REAL gamers... is it really that linear? man that sucks beyond comprehension...

Play the game before go out criticizing it.. the game is as linear as Wind Waker..

IMO "casual gamming" is just a buzzword, there's no way to define what a "casual" game is.. I play a lot of game considered casual and a lot of games considered "hardcore", as long as I can have fun with the game, I don't care.

Oh, actually I was criticizing all this casual gaming thing, you can see it quite clearly if you play elder scrolls 3 - morrowind and right after play oblivion, the difference in dept, challenges etc.. is quite obvious, as for the DS it is indeed hard to tell them apart, as I said before about 90% of all catalog has a more casual orientation, there are a few that don't fall to much on that category, FFIII for an example, the main problem with a casual game is that it lacks depth and complexity, they're not games that will offer you 50+ hours worth of gameplay... and ultimately all that depth and complexity(as well of course the fun) is what matters for those who truly love games, well at least that's how I see it.

silvershadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
one thing i really like about it is the online mode.

first time i actually played a game online and didnt lose badly because of cheaters, lol.

and it doesnt WASTE TIME connecting like mario kart, lol.

and it was fun, cause one guy kept challenging me back, cause i would beat him, then we tie, then he beats me. fun times, lol.

i guess u can say im a noob to "online gaming".

but yah, seriously, it is worth the purchase, besides the crappy "paper 3d" feel, i think its actually still pretty good, and i take back saying that i think it might not be as good because it isnt twilight/ocarina 3d.

but true say, this is the first zelda that doesnt have me pulling out my hair

roboz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wink.gif

what's wrong about having challenging, big games on the DS?
there's no game that can replace Zelda, especially not on the X360...
Hope your not talking about Halo being challenging cause I have friends who beat it on the second day of release(only has like 9 levels but a sad ending
cry.gif
). I prefer PS3 for more challenging games or the wii cause of the complicated controls on some games.

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zelda > All Nintendo games!

Zelda is a Nintendo game smart one. Also, it's the fact that you said ALL, so in reality you've created a paradox. The fact that a Ninendo game is better than all Nintendo games, including itself. Thanks a lot douche.
mad.gif
J/k

Anyways, here's what I think of this Zelda. It's pretty boring. Wait, scratch that, it's really boring. The game has really good ideas, but it's the fact that they took out all of the fun. I remember in oracle of seasons, I spent so long on the third dungeon, because it was very challenging and fun. All this one is is, get the jewel. Put the jewel in the hole. Move forward. Kill the bad guy. Get the key. Win. All of the challenging puzzles that made Zelda what it is, are gone.

If you want a game for pure dungeon crawling and action. If you want a game for puzzles, pass and wait awhile for some new releases.

medway

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
wink.gif

what's wrong about having challenging, big games on the DS?
there's no game that can replace Zelda, especially not on the X360...
Im sorry my friend but i would have to disagree
I'm sorry my friend but I don't care
huh.gif

But I feel sorry for you if you think that Bioshock, Gears of War and Halo 3 can compete with any of Nintendo's big franchises
nyanya.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-