Gaming Is Usenet any better than torrents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
With the right private tracker, you can often be ahead of usenet now, with very high speeds.

The problem is, the best trackers are very hard to become members of.

My main private tracker is as quick to get stuff as UseNet, if not quicker, on some occasions, and I get speeds of between 1.5 & 2.0 Mbps ... however, getting membership is very hard, now.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
shootme said:
As I said if you get in to a good private torrent tracker there is no need to pay to get usenet when you get the same speed. but if you only use public trackers you will most likely get shitty speed and then usenet is a good alternative.

with a private tracker you have to seed back and not all countries have a good upload speed

moozxy

hamboning
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
After always using torrents I decided to try usenet when GoW was released since there were so many people downloading it and I was getting crappy speeds. Since I didn't know what it'd be like I just bought a 10gb block from usenet-news and downloaded GoW. It was great for that, I got a constant, maxed out download speed.

Since then though I haven't used it for anything else. I download alot of anime but I found usenet sucks for anime
frown.gif

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
shootme said:
As I said if you get in to a good private torrent tracker there is no need to pay to get usenet when you get the same speed. but if you only use public trackers you will most likely get shitty speed and then usenet is a good alternative.

with a private tracker you have to seed back and not all countries have a good upload speed

Quite a lot of private trackers need you to keep above a certain ratio (like 0.7) and as jalaneme said, in many countries the download speed is a lot more than upload speed e.g. 20x and it's not great if you can't get a fast internet connection

perimbean

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Usenet is great! I remember using it back in the dial-up days...Days before RS & MU.
Comparing it to torrents, i feel usenet is better.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find usenet sucks as even a 300 day retention is way too small for me. But I use it for new releases.

flai

Androgynous Apparently :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok, kind of feeling like a n00b here. I have no idea where to even start with Usenet.

I have a Mac and I've just downloaded a Usenet reader (Unison). Where do I start? How can I start downloading MP3's etc? I really don't like torrents right now, as none are going over 70k/s on an 8mbit connection. A quick how-to and where to start would be really helpful for me
smile.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm using it for 2 years now, but my ISP restricted my speed (even in SSL) to 20k/s since end of 2007
frown.gif

I'm paying private news providers (my ISP doesn't provide binaries), to get a 20k speed per thread >_<

I can hopefully manage to open multi-thread and download up to 130k/s.
I hate them for limiting something I paid for.

Anyway, newsgroup are great
smile.gif

mkoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Neither. I'm using rapidshare premium for piracy needs and happy about it.
All you need a premium account (7€/month) and a good sharing forum (Free)

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
mkoo said:

rapidshare won't have a big enough database like usenet and i hate rapidshare and it's slow system anyway. (4 hours wait to download 1mb file)

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
shootme said:

Not if you have a private tracker that pay-to-leech VIP
wink.gif

I pay around 60 euros a year, and usually snag up to 3TB of stuff per year ... games, movies, music, audiobooks, comics, applications ... all kinds of stuff.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mkoo said:

Me too, it's pretty good. There are loads of files and premium takes away some of the waiting and limits and it's also easier too.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
slayerspud said:
Torrents as you don't have to seed back + It's free + on a priv tracker you get max speeds nearly 24/7
But on a private tracker don't you have to seed back? I thought that was the advantage of them being private, so people seed...

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Anyone else mention that torrents really throttle your connections for anything else? Unless you're using QoS on a good router or basically limiting your download speed, the speed for everything else crawls.

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sinkhead said:
slayerspud said:
Torrents as you don't have to seed back + It's free + on a priv tracker you get max speeds nearly 24/7
But on a private tracker don't you have to seed back? I thought that was the advantage of them being private, so people seed...
leeching ftw!
j/k i seed

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
Anyone else mention that torrents really throttle your connections for anything else? Unless you're using QoS on a good router or basically limiting your download speed, the speed for everything else crawls.
Its highly dependent on your upload speed and number of connections at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-