TheDreamLord

OP
Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
166kqz8.png

Is this ok? It's pretty much a bit over my budget, but I can get it as I get VAT back.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Where's the HDD?
Why a Bulldozer CPU?
Why the underpowered version of the GTX 560 (i.e. non-Ti version)?
And why the out-of-stock PSU?

Also, what are you intending to use the computer for? Is this your first time building a computer? How experienced are you with computer parts?
All of these questions come straight to mind when looking at your build (which, aside from lack of HDD and OS, looks like an alright build).

Reactions: 1 person

TheDreamLord

OP
Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
Where's the HDD?
Why a Bulldozer CPU?
Why the underpowered version of the GTX 560 (i.e. non-Ti version)?
And why the out-of-stock PSU?

Also, what are you intending to use the computer for? Is this your first time building a computer? How experienced are you with computer parts?
All of these questions come straight to mind when looking at your build (which, aside from lack of HDD and OS, looks like an alright build).
Already Have a HDD
I'm on a budget and bundle.
budget
My friend uses it in his PC. Very good. And I have win7 already.
I'm using it for gaming, I'm good with computers, as for parts, I'm ok with them. These are all compatible.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
...No, this does not look okay. Here.

tinyurl.com/falconguide
I disagree - the build is okay because it can work (assuming it can find a HDD to go with). That doesn't mean it's a good build, but it does work. I'm waiting for answers before I provide any more specific advice.
...Answers came whilst typing this. Moving on!

Since it's a gaming PC, you really should aim for a cheaper CPU/MoBo/RAM combo since you really don't need Bulldozer. As mentioned in the FalconGuide Midna linked, a Pentium G850 CPU (with a H61 MoBo) would be enough for you and allow yourself to push into getting a better graphics card. Gaming is all about the graphics card.

TheDreamLord

OP
Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
...No, this does not look okay. Here.

tinyurl.com/falconguide
I disagree - the build is okay because it can work (assuming it can find a HDD to go with). That doesn't mean it's a good build, but it does work. I'm waiting for answers before I provide any more specific advice.
...Answers came whilst typing this. Moving on!

Since it's a gaming PC, you really should aim for a cheaper CPU/MoBo/RAM combo since you really don't need Bulldozer. As mentioned in the FalconGuide Midna linked, a Pentium G850 CPU (with a H61 MoBo) would be enough for you and allow yourself to push into getting a better graphics card. Gaming is all about the graphics card.
1z6hba1.png

How is that then? :P Thanks

Edit: Swapped the kingston with the corsaire in top right

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Cheaper, and I think better balanced for gaming (my opinion - others may argue this). The weakness of the G850 (compared to the Core i3-2100 or i5-2400) is that it's only dual core (as opposed to 2+2 cores for the i3 and 4 cores for the i5 - there's a difference). However, many games are still only optimised for dual-cores and cannot make use of quad cores for now. Then again, high end games (like Battlefield 3) are starting to recommend quad cores too, so times are moving. As a benefit, it's also slightly cheaper overall than the previous build linked.

Also, I don't like Kingston RAM. They're the only one to fail on me in the past (even if it was only one DIMM that failed, not the other).

TheDreamLord

OP
Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
Cheaper, and I think better balanced for gaming (my opinion - others may argue this). The weakness of the G850 (compared to the Core i3-2100 or i5-2400) is that it's only dual core (as opposed to 2+2 cores for the i3 and 4 cores for the i5 - there's a difference). However, many games are still only optimised for dual-cores and cannot make use of quad cores for now. Then again, high end games (like Battlefield 3) are starting to recommend quad cores too, so times are moving. As a benefit, it's also slightly cheaper overall than the previous build linked.

Also, I don't like Kingston RAM. They're the only one to fail on me in the past (even if it was only one DIMM that failed, not the other).
Alright. But I'll want to play games like BF3. So what do you recommend?
I need to get a new mobo, and CPU that is atleast quad core. What can I get?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Quoted from PM:
BF3 and Skyrim are the only intensive games you've named. Skyrim will be absolutely fine with the above build. BF3, I've no idea since, as I mentioned, I've seen it lag on a build with a Core i5-2500K and a GTX 560 Ti.

And honestly, you don't really have the budget for an overclocking build. Bulldozer may be able to overclock, but it's performance has been disappointing all round. For Intel, you need a K series processor (i5-2500K or i7-2600K) and either a P67 or Z68 motherboard. You will also need a good cooler (Arctic Freezer 7 is ok, 13 is better, Gelid Tranquillo or Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advance better, Antec Kuhler or Corsair H60/80 best) and a much better PSU (600W minimum for overclocking). Fortunately it's fairly easy to overclock.

My suggestion, don't go for an all-in-one solution. Either get the CPU (and motherboard) you want for a stable basic build, then save up a little longer to get a better graphics card, or get the best graphics card you can afford and upgrade the CPU later.

CPU path: Get a Core i5-2500K and either a MSI P67A-GD53 or any Z68 motherboard (like the Asrock Z68M). I've got an Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z (Z68) myself, to give you an idea. If you get the P67 motherboard, you'll need a cheap graphics card to fill in for the time being (something like a HD 5770 will be good for a year or two whilst you save up for better). If you get the Z68 motherboard, you can use the integrated graphics (good for only certain games... I heard Skyrim can run on it, but I don't know how well) and save up for a real graphics card. This is also beneficial since the Kepler series graphics card will be out by then (GTX 660 and up).

GPU path: Get the G530 or G850 CPU and either a P67 or Z68 motherboard, then as high up the GPU scale as you can manage (you could get a GTX 570 Ti for instance, if budget allows). Leave out the Arctic Freezer and Thermal Paste for now if it helps you get that little bit better graphics. This is good because you can game straight away. You may have to turn certain settings down to make it easier on the CPU... although this isn't usually necessary.
EDIT: Also, Ivy Bridge will be out soon.

In short, I recommend a higher budget for BF3. Intel Core i3 is dual core with HyperThreading (which makes it "effectively" quad core) whilst Core i5 is true quad-core (with no HyperThreading). Any motherboard can game, but only P67 and Z68 can overclock. If your budget doesn't stretch far enough for overclocking, just get a H61 motherboard - the cheapest one you can find. If it's truely necessary in future, you can upgrade to a better motherboard then.

TheDreamLord

OP
Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
Quoted from PM:
BF3 and Skyrim are the only intensive games you've named. Skyrim will be absolutely fine with the above build. BF3, I've no idea since, as I mentioned, I've seen it lag on a build with a Core i5-2500K and a GTX 560 Ti.

And honestly, you don't really have the budget for an overclocking build. Bulldozer may be able to overclock, but it's performance has been disappointing all round. For Intel, you need a K series processor (i5-2500K or i7-2600K) and either a P67 or Z68 motherboard. You will also need a good cooler (Arctic Freezer 7 is ok, 13 is better, Gelid Tranquillo or Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advance better, Antec Kuhler or Corsair H60/80 best) and a much better PSU (600W minimum for overclocking). Fortunately it's fairly easy to overclock.

My suggestion, don't go for an all-in-one solution. Either get the CPU (and motherboard) you want for a stable basic build, then save up a little longer to get a better graphics card, or get the best graphics card you can afford and upgrade the CPU later.

CPU path: Get a Core i5-2500K and either a MSI P67A-GD53 or any Z68 motherboard (like the Asrock Z68M). I've got an Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z (Z68) myself, to give you an idea. If you get the P67 motherboard, you'll need a cheap graphics card to fill in for the time being (something like a HD 5770 will be good for a year or two whilst you save up for better). If you get the Z68 motherboard, you can use the integrated graphics (good for only certain games... I heard Skyrim can run on it, but I don't know how well) and save up for a real graphics card. This is also beneficial since the Kepler series graphics card will be out by then (GTX 660 and up).

GPU path: Get the G530 or G850 CPU and either a P67 or Z68 motherboard, then as high up the GPU scale as you can manage (you could get a GTX 570 Ti for instance, if budget allows). Leave out the Arctic Freezer and Thermal Paste for now if it helps you get that little bit better graphics. This is good because you can game straight away. You may have to turn certain settings down to make it easier on the CPU... although this isn't usually necessary.
EDIT: Also, Ivy Bridge will be out soon.
In short, I recommend a higher budget for BF3. Intel Core i3 is dual core with HyperThreading (which makes it "effectively" quad core) whilst Core i5 is true quad-core (with no HyperThreading). Any motherboard can game, but only P67 and Z68 can overclock. If your budget doesn't stretch far enough for overclocking, just get a H61 motherboard - the cheapest one you can find. If it's truely necessary in future, you can upgrade to a better motherboard then.
Here lets just talk here
289hiso.png

What do you think now? Better?

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am confused; you could get a more powerful laptop for that price.
CPU is the meaning of life. Without a good CPU you are nothing in this world.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
*sigh* the Pentium G850 is more or less the same as a Core i3-2100, only without HyperThreading. Don't get tricked by the name. And as mentioned, gaming is GPU dependant.
EDIT: to clarify, both are LGA1155, and there's a 200Mhz difference. Still, a 2.9Ghz dual core Sandy Bridge CPU is enough for all but the most intensive of games (like Dawn of War, which is known to push the CPU hard).

Anyway, it's midnight now and I don't feel like typing up a lecture on my iPad. I'll leave it to the Americans to leave any further suggestions.

TheDreamLord

OP
Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
OH, that's rich!

You want a Pentium for gaming!?! HA!

Seriously, the i5-2500K or the i7-2(6/7)00K are your ONLY options.
Anything else will lag HORRIBLY.
It's not just about the CPU you know.
*sigh* the Pentium G850 is more or less the same as a Core i3-2100, only without HyperThreading. Don't get tricked by the name. And as mentioned, gaming is GPU dependant.
EDIT: to clarify, both are LGA1155, and there's a 200Mhz difference. Still, a 2.9Ghz dual core Sandy Bridge CPU is enough for all but the most intensive of games (like Dawn of War, which is known to push the CPU hard).

Anyway, it's midnight now and I don't feel like typing up a lecture on my iPad. I'll leave it to the Americans to leave any further suggestions.
I'm getting the i3, it's the very edge of my budget. Thank you :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-