Is this an Acekard 2i issue or ROM issue?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by MrHuk, Jan 14, 2011.

1. MrHuk
    OP

MrHuk Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2011
    Hi all,

I'm a bit new to all this and I have a question.

Some games are either freezing completely (Telly Addicts, CSI: Unsolved) or playing in slow motion (Top Spin 2, 3 & plenty of others), is this a problem with the Acekard 2i or the ROMs? And is this just an unavoidable problem or is something wrong on my end?

Any help would be great.

PS: I'm using a DSi XL.

2. MrHuk
    OP

MrHuk Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2011
  3. lolzed

lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Sep 13, 2008
    There
    Try reformatting your card with Panasonic formatter(remeber to backup) and get the latest AKAIO(1.8.5) before thinking of buying a new SD card

4. MrHuk
    OP

MrHuk Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2011
    I've already done both, with no joy.

5. CannonFoddr

CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

Sep 23, 2006
    Sitting by computer
    Hard to tell - I also had problems like what you say but it varied

For example.....
    I had 'stutter' (slow-downs??) problems with 'Animal Crossing:Wild World (E)' but none with 'Animal Crossing:Wild World (U)' - so that points towards the ROM being the problem

BUT

I also had 'white screens' when starting 'Brain Age' ( both (E) and (U) ) - but not every time, which points towards the AK2i or the firmware support & not the ROM.

YET

This was 'cured' (for a while) by backing up & reformatting the SD card using the 'Panasonic SD formatter' - THAT points towards the memory card being the problem

Brought a new bigger/faster memory card & never had any problem since (while I still owned a AK2i - now moved to a DSTwo) - so it could be any of these things

EDIT: Read the replies after posting this - seems like you already tried the 'Formatting SD card'.
    It still could be the MSD - what make/size/speed is it ??
    Have you another MSD to try out ??

6. MrHuk
    OP

MrHuk Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2011
    I'm currently using a SanDisk class 4 8GB MicroSDHC. And no, I don't have another to try. The class 6 Samsung is temping me, I can have it in my hands tomorrow for £20 which is nothing. I'm just wondering if it'll help.

7. Evo.lve

Evo.lve All that you could be.

Oct 11, 2010
    Away from you.
    When it comes to these things, you want not only a low latency, but a high read and write speed. Transcend and A-Data Class 6 cards are known good brands.

8. MrHuk
    OP

MrHuk Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2011
    Are those better than the one I posted? "The Samsung MB-MP8GEU 8GB Micro SDHC PLUS Class 6 Extreme Speed Memory Card"

9. MrHuk
    OP

MrHuk Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2011
    I just tested the read speed of my Sandisk c4 8GB, it came back as 6.2mb/sec, is this fast or slow? The Samsung I'm looking at is 3x as fast according to the specs.

EDIT: The write speed is 4.6mb/sec

10. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Latency, we need those numbers as well.

11. MrHuk
    OP

MrHuk Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2011
    I just wanted to let you know my problems are all fixed, games that were crashing aren't anymore and everything is much faster. The Samsung MicroSDHC is a great bit of kit, you can tell from the packaging it's top draw.