Apple Is there anyway to restore my iphone from an old backup file?

misticknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So i went ahead and updated to iOS5 yesterday, and after jailbreaking with redsn0w i tried aptbackup to restore my old cydia tweaks, i dont know if thats what caused it since it has to restart to work and it woulda cancelled out the jailbreak or what, but it stayed stuck on the Apple logo for a long time. I tried turning on and off but it kept doign the same thing, so i plugged it back into itunes and clicked on restore after which all my contacts/settings/games everything, was gone :( When i clicked restore again it said some message like "restoring your device will clear all your information and settings, are you sure you want to continue". I take it this means my old backups are gone, but i found 4 backup folders in the "AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\" folders on my computer. anyway to use them or am i screwed?

I had heaps of contacts so getting them all back manually will be a chore, and i had lots of reminders in my notes section too :( thats the main problem. please tell me i didnt screw up completely??

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Asuming itunes made a backup of your data, you can just dopwnload the .ipsw that you want to go back to and itunes should prompt you if you want to restore from a backup.

misticknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What do you mean like go back to the old firmware i was on? I was on 4.3.3 before upgrading to 5.0.

Edit: I found a program called iphone backup extractor, i can extract some of my old notes and contacts using it, but it only allows four contacts since its not registered. this does mean tohugh that the old backup i found does have all the contacts and notes i wanted restored, and its not gone completely. anyway to use that one to restore the iphone, it automatically restores the latest backup (this one isnt it) and i dont want to risk doing anything to make it worse.

misticknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
if anyone is interested i was able to restore by deleting the latest backup folder and keeping the old one :) So everythings back to normal now, except for no jailbreak of course. I just have one more question, it seems sorta obvious what do do but just incase, when i try to make a back now it says "This iphone is linked with another account, do you want to merge settings or start new backup" or some crap like that, i think its causei downloaded an IPSW from somewhere else instead of using itunes, but yer which option should i choose? Merge or start new, i think its merge but you never know.

misticknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
lol, thanks for finally replyying, merge it is then (ive been to scared to do anything since lol). ill let you guys know how it goes incase anyones interested.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: knuckles vs broly could also be a good one tbh +1